Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

School vice-principal threatening me with "truancy" -Feedback requested

I have 11 days left of school until i graduate, but i've been dealing with severe depression and have missed 21 days (half of that was on vacation to look at colleges out of state). For the past week i've been skipping my first block class and instead waking up an hour and a half later and going to 2nd and 4th block (the only 2 classes required to graduate). Today the vice-principal called me to his office and threatened me with the "truancy laws". I asked him about the consequences of said laws, and he quickly changed the subject. I've never failed a class and with graduating in 11 days, what can happen if I continue to skip that first class every day? Can they keep me from graduating?

I know some laws may be different in each state, but i live in Minnesota and obviously i'm a senior.

Can i keep skipping my first block, or can I tell the vice principal to forget about it and mind his own?

10+ Year Old Account
    These is just my personal opinion.... Why don't you go to the first class? is just 11 days more :S

yes, they can fail you. because that policy is not drawn by your school but burecrats in the state and even in federal level. your school is bound by law to fail u

Depression doesn't stop you from waking up earlier. If you go to school at all obviously you aren't mentally unable to do so. Sounds more like you're using depression as an excuse to sleep in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    I have 11 days left of school until i graduate, but i've been dealing with severe depression and have missed 21 days (half of that was on vacation to look at colleges out of state). For the past week i've been skipping my first block class and instead waking up an hour and a half later and going to 2nd and 4th block (the only 2 classes required to graduate). Today the vice-principal called me to his office and threatened me with the "truancy laws". I asked him about the consequences of said laws, and he quickly changed the subject. I've never failed a class and with graduating in 11 days, what can happen if I continue to skip that first class every day? Can they keep me from graduating?

I know some laws may be different in each state, but i live in Minnesota and obviously i'm a senior.

Can i keep skipping my first block, or can I tell the vice principal to forget about it and mind his own?
    I don't think they can keep you from graduating, but why the hell do you like to continue skipping classes, if there are only 11 days left, even if his threat might be a meaningless one. You can't be sure.

Just go to class for 11 days. It really isn't hard. Unless you are 18 or your parents call you out each day he is perfectly within his rights to report you for Truancy, and in some places I think it is actually required so he might be trying to give you a break and warn you before he does it so you could fix the issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    The first class is Spanish 3. I tried to drop it at the beginning of the year, and was unable to. I can't stand going to the class because the teacher singles me out, and even though I have no idea what anybody is saying, I'm his "go to" guy for completing the work out loud, or answering questions. It's humiliating having to struggle to understand every question and then look like a, for lack of better words, retard in front of 30 other people for not knowing. Not to mention we have a project coming up where i have to make a video in all spanish, by memory. I cant understand the language to begin with, and now i'm supposed to also learn how to make a video, how to correctly translate everything from english into perfect spanish, and then memorize it. And if i dont, i lose 300 points and fail the class. If i'm going to fail the class anywhays, i'd rather do it by sleeping in and getting over my depression.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to class or get a lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Go to school, fellow. Say no if the teacher tells you to say shit out loud.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry i forgot to mention it in the original post, but I am 18 and turning 19 in 4 months. Does this mean truancy laws dont apply?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi
    If i'm going to fail the class anywhays, i'd rather do it by sleeping in and getting over my depression.
    That's not the attitude to have if you're trying to overcome depression.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    this guy he is being a total d!@# and is unfair " i know is very stressful HS to College " but this guy should lighten up were all one young !

10+ Year Old Account
    The majority of my depression stems from trying to juggle school with having to maintain a job not only so my father can keep his house and hopefuly retire someday, but also to fully pay for my college, car payment, insurance, and most importantly, my WoW subscription. With all of this i get about 5 hours of sleep a night. So of course an extra hour and a half makes a huge difference.

-snip-
    Maybe if you attended class, you wouldn't be lost?

As many people have mentioned, you're using your depression as an excuse to sleep in and miss class. Do you really want to EVEN CHANCE not graduating because you want to sleep?

Edit:
    The majority of my depression stems from trying to juggle school with having to maintain a job not only so my father can keep his house and hopefuly retire someday, but also to fully pay for my college, car payment, insurance, and most importantly, my WoW subscription. With all of this i get about 5 hours of sleep a night. So of course an extra hour and a half makes a huge difference.
    Wow...just wow. Your WoW sub is more important that college, and even a roof over your head? Get your priorities in order.

Tell them that, then. Either your Vice Principal, your Guidance Counselor or your Spanish teacher, or all three.

They're there to help you, but if they don't know that stuff then they won't see you as someone that needs some assistance, they'll see you as the slacker that shows up late.

Sorry i forgot to mention it in the original post, but I am 18 and turning 19 in 4 months. Does this mean truancy laws dont apply?
    It means you are an adult and can call yourself out of school if you want. The School should have a list of people over 18 who can call themselves out, although you may have to get yourself added to that list.

Go here -> https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...2#stat.120A.22

And look at Subd D. I will quote the info for you

A parent, guardian, or other person having control of a child may apply to a school district to have the child excused from attendance for the whole or any part of the time school is in session during any school year. Application may be made to any member of the board, a truant officer, a principal, or the superintendent. The school district may state in its school attendance policy that it may ask the student's parent or legal guardian to verify in writing the reason for the child's absence from school. A note from a physician or a licensed mental health professional stating that the child cannot attend school is a valid excuse. The board of the district in which the child resides may approve the application upon the following being demonstrated to the satisfaction of that board:

(1) that the child's physical or mental health is such as to prevent attendance at school or application to study for the period required, which includes:

(i) child illness, medical, dental, orthodontic, or counseling appointments;

(ii) family emergencies;

(iii) the death or serious illness or funeral of an immediate family member;

(iv) active duty in any military branch of the United States;

(v) the child has a condition that requires ongoing treatment for a mental health diagnosis; or

(vi) other exemptions included in the district's school attendance policy;

(2) that the child has already completed state and district standards required for graduation from high school
    (Emphasis Mine)

Therefore if you have already completed the state and district standards required for graduation, and are at least 18, you can therefore submit (most likely in writing) that you will be excused from going to your morning class. You could also check with your guidance counselor (I think all MN high schools have them?) and see if they will just waive your attendance requirements for that class, especially if you explain that you have already failed.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    off-topics

I think these young adult should not count on there parent for financial support when going into college " get a jobs " and that way you are making a living while going to school plus it will show to your parent that you don't need any financial support

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post

Wow...just wow. Your WoW sub is more important that college, and even a roof over your head? Get your priorities in order.
    Apparently sarcasm is as foreign a language to you as Spanish is to me.

Apparently sarcasm is as foreign a language to you as Spanish is to me.
    I usually use a lot of sarcasm, and you can barely tell it there

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks much Obdigore. This entire thread could have been answered to simply by doing what you did. Thanks so much for taking the time to look this up for me, i'll print this off to show to my school councilor and my vice-principal can stop spewing his empty threats.

Thanks again, really appreciate it. Nice to see people going out of their way for others, it's a real rare thing these days.