Thread: D3 Game Modes

10+ Year Old Account

D3 Game Modes

So I am new to the diablo series, and I've been researching the hell out of this game.

The only thing I really don't understand are the modes.

I know there are 4 difficulty modes,

Normal
    Nightmare
    Hell
    Inferno

But I keep hearing of this hardcore mode. What is it? Is it where if you die you die for good and you have to start over again? And does the hardcore go together with the other difficulties so you could do like...

Hardcore Normal
    Hardcore Nightmare
    Hardcore Hell
    Hardcore Inferno

???

EDIT: And what is the purpose of hardcore mode? Prestige? Better gear drops?
    Last edited by Xl House lX; 2012-05-12 at 05:34 AM.

Hardcore is where if you die, you lose that character and gear forever. I personally don't find that appealing, losing something I worked hard for if I happen to die. You could lag and get demolished by monsters... not for me.

It's the same as non hardcore, you just have 1 life.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

from my understanding, Hardcore is the mode where you have only one life

so if you die at all, your character is deleted and you have to start all over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much just prestige, yeah. Works the same as the regular mode, with all the difficulties intact (though you can't use the cash AH), only you die for good when you die. Doesn't sound terribly appealing, personally, but there it is.

Deleted
    hardcore is exactly the same like normal mode ... you also have the 4 difficulty levels ...
    the only differences:

- no RMAH
    - if your character dies, it's gone for good

Since the internal blizzard test team didn't manage to beat Inferno I'd assume that beating inferno in Hardcore is pretty impossible.

just to clarify: you cannot make a normal character into a hardcore character ... you can only create a hardcore character and play hardcore with it ...

Also: in D2 you only could create a Hardcore charakter if you already beat normal mode in "softcore" (normal). I don't know if that applies to D3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    Also: in D2 you only could create a Hardcore charakter if you already beat normal mode in "softcore" (normal). I don't know if that applies to D3 as well.
    You have to get at least level 10 with a normal character for hardcore mode to unlock.

They did this to get players used to playing the game before they give hardcore a shot.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarefired View Post
    Hardcore is where if you die, you lose that character and gear forever. It's the same as non hardcore, you just have 1 life.
    This. Some extremely hardcore players find the challenge of being mortal a huge thrill. If they beat inferno on hardcore they get an exclusive sigil and an achievement for their accomplishment.

I personally will be mainly playing regular mode and I'll be trying to solo through Hardcore on my free time. I think it'll be a fun challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrusader View Post
    In order to create a hardcore character in D3, you have to reach level 10 with a softcore character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much everything has been mentioned already apart from the fact that your hardcore and softcore characters have a seperate shared stash, the hardcore and softcore AH's are also seperated (keep in mind that there's also no real money AH on hardcore).
    Going into a hardcore game with a non hardcore character and vice versa is also impossible.

The purpose is part prestige, part fun, it just depends on where your preference lies I suppose. I personally grew bored quite quickly with D2 softcore since after you completed it a few times you realize there's nothing really to be afraid of, you could zerg a boss and if you die you can do it again and again. If you're actually a bit too weak for a certain area you try it anyway and if you fail, ah well, I'll try it again, I might get lucky and get past the mobs to that next and easier area.
    Not so in hardcore, even though I had plenty of hardcore level 99's (pre-1.10) there was still that chance you might die, you always had to be on your toes, even in the best gear possible. This was even more the case after the 1.10 patch where many area's of the game were a lot harder. I switched to hardcore single player after the launch of that patch and still played the game for years because of the challenge it provided.
    (well, and because I was addicted to magic finding I suppose....)