A few questions form a new player

Hey there,
    so ive never played any of the diablo games before, nor any of that genre of game, i also did not play in the beta.
    However ive been watching alot of videos about it and reading up on it and i am very excited, and eager to dive into it on tuesday!

I do have a few questions though.

From what i understand Inferno mode will be easier with 4 people if the synergy of the group is good and work as a strong team, but harder if the group do not work together well. While i am new to diablo i am generally a hardcore gamer, and am certianly aiming to get inferno cleared on softcore asap, however i only have 1 other friend im planning to play and level with so im wondering is there some way to play with other trusty players, to form teams as such, that will be able to do inferno content compentenly?

Is there any Guilds/clans, so far i have seen no evidence for this, but just wondering if i missed it?

When you finish the game on normal, and u start nightmare, do you stay at your current level + keep all your gear? ( this is what i understand it to be, but not sure). It just seems wierd that although you start the game from the beginning on a harder difficulty, is it truly THAT much harder because you have all max level abilities and gear unlike when you did it the first time on normal?

Any general tips or advice on how to level quickly, gear and anything else? I.E in wow, i would advise somebody else that is brand new to the game that they should pick up mining + herablism to make some start up cash on the way to max level, then when at max level they can drop one (or both) for a crafting proffesion.
    Any Experienced tips like this will help me more than generic "remember to upgrade your gear when you find upgrades".

Thank you for any advise given in advance , from what ive heard the diablo community is very helpful.

>> Just thought of another question!!!<<
    My friend that i want to play with has school this week so he will not be able to play as much as i can ( as i have finished school), if when it is released i make a char and start leveling away, 5 hours later when i am like level 16 or whatever and he starts playing when he gets home from school, will i be able to go back and play with him on my char or what? or will i have to make a new char? Also if i go back with my main char that is higher level, will i get xp or what differences will there be? . Sorry for really badly written question, still kind of configuring the question in my mind while typing, but i hope you understood it .
    Last edited by Chrispotter; 2012-05-13 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you finish Normal you move on to nightmare with your character; your gear, level, artisans, everything stays the same. Don't see it as difficulty levels in other games but more as a natural progression for your character. 1-30 normal. 30-50 nightmare. 50-60 hell. 60 inferno.

Crafting professions aren't really in Diablo. You get a Blacksmith and Jeweler as you progress through the story. You level those artisans by spending gold on upgrading them, as you do so more things to craft will become available. You get the reagents to craft gear from gems you find for Jeweler, and from gear you breakdown for the Blacksmith. It's all very intuitive.

Also concerning clearing inferno in a group, take a look at this thread I posted yesterday, and read the article that comes along with it. I think you'll be fine with the two of you!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...oup-in-Inferno

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I know, difficulty of modes scales higher with the amount of people present in your game. It theoretically should still be the same with 2 people than with 4 people, so if you want to just play with your friend you can.
    In terms of upgrades, the generalization is about right. Don't forget about upgrading and enhancing gear.

I myself am nowhere near a "top-notch" Diablo player, but I at least know the basics.
    Too many classes, too little time. Completionist yet lazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, I wouldn't even worry about Inferno for now. The game isn't even out yet, so some things have changed, and the 'best' way to do things won't be established for some time. It's sort of like asking what the best way to get to mars is, right now.

Just play the game and have some fun.

As far as difficulty, every time you clear a game difficulty, the next opens up and you can pick a difficulty when you start it. From what I understand:

Normal - 1 to 30
    Nightmare 31-50
    Hell 51-60
    Inferno 60+

Inferno is designed for the 'hardcore' people who have a static group. This is the equivalent of 'raiding guilds' in wow, or whatever. You can't just get some guys together with good gear and go "hey, you know this fight?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    When you finish Normal you move on to nightmare with your character; your gear, level, artisans, everything stays the same. Don't see it as difficulty levels in other games but more as a natural progression for your character. 1-30 normal. 30-50 nightmare. 50-60 hell. 60 inferno.

Crafting professions aren't really in Diablo. You get a Blacksmith and Jeweler as you progress through the story. You level those artisans by spending gold on upgrading them, as you do so more things to craft will become available. You get the reagents to craft gear from gems you find for Jeweler, and from gear you breakdown for the Blacksmith. It's all very intuitive.

Also concerning clearing inferno in a group, take a look at this thread I posted yesterday, and read the article that comes along with it. I think you'll be fine with the two of you!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...oup-in-Inferno
    Is it worth me spending to train me Jewlcrafter/blacksmith and is there any particular way i should go about it?
    Also i read that article yesterday and it did make me think maybe 2 manning it wouldnt be much harder than 4 manning .
    Thanks for the reply

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    Is it worth me spending to train me Jewlcrafter/blacksmith and is there any particular way i should go about it?
    Also i read that article yesterday and it did make me think maybe 2 manning it wouldnt be much harder than 4 manning .
    Thanks for the reply
    Yes you should definitely spend the cash on your artisans, and definitely the Blacksmith. He can make some awesome gear as you level up. You can basically fill in item slots you are unlucky with, and don't happen to get decent drops for. But I would say one thing, don't try to rush this game. Enjoy it at least on your first playthrough, you only experience it once and after it, it becomes a grind like WoW. Furthermore rushing means you reach nightmare, hell underleveled, and most likely undergeared.

Also remember your artisans are account wide, which means you only need to level them once and will have them available on all new characters you make!

The best way I know to explain difficulty levels in Diablo to a MMO player is to compare normal D3 to a normal dungeon and the later difficulties to expert/heroic. The place looks mostly the same, but fights are ramped up along with the bosses and minibosses getting new abilities. So same character with all your best stuff going to a familiar place to face new challenges.

I would not worry about 2 players vs 4. You can solo it if you want to. Synergy is nice, but playing with the people you want to play with is better. Making new friends to play with is great and I can't encourage it enough, but you do have to choose between putting energy into that or into a balls-out rush to accomplish as much as possible. You might be best served playing with your one friend until you feel like easing up and socializing with some fresh blood. By then you'll have enough hands-on time with the game to pull your weight against new challenges with strangers while being better able to gauge where they measure up as you watch them play along side you.

There's plenty of theorycraft behind crafting, but right now there's nothing but theory to base it on, really. We've played the first third of the first quarter of the game. Whats that, eight percent? Of the first difficulty? I'd stay open about it, personally. Have a goal to keep the artisans around your level if your gold is solid. Make that the base plan. If you're broke and need to save for a bit, do that. If you got lucky and found awesome drops in the game or on auction maybe you won't need to sweat the artisans so much for a while. When you're rich and in rags, pimp them out.
    For me, the key thing about artisans is I never want them to hinder my progression. Only enhance. I don't want to slow down and sacrifice for them.

Spend the time on your artisans, from what i could tell from the Beta they are going to be your best source of gear for most of the game.

Pro-tip: when you spend money to train an artisan THAT ARTISAN GETS UPGRADED FOR EVERY CHARACTER YOU HAVE so you really only have to 'level your professions' one time.

Think of diablo difficulty like wow heroic mode. You beat the game on normal, then move on to nightmare, only now the mobs are all scaled up to be harder for you starting over at level 30-ish. this continues on for the next difficulty levels. Mobs continue to get harder, in some cases zones will get larger and more complex. Inferno is scaled to be difficult at the maximum level.

As for your question about groups... in diablo the more people in your group the harder the mobs become. so if your going through inferno with 4 people the mobs will be harder then if you were going solo. whether or not it is easier is a matter of having good group synergy to overcome the increased difficulty. So don't expect to just be able to grab any 3 idiots you want and expect that to make inferno easier.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Spend the time on your artisans, from what i could tell from the Beta they are going to be your best source of gear for most of the game.

Pro-tip: when you spend money to train an artisan THAT ARTISAN GETS UPGRADED FOR EVERY CHARACTER YOU HAVE so you really only have to 'level your professions' one time.

Think of diablo difficulty like wow heroic mode. You beat the game on normal, then move on to nightmare, only now the mobs are all scaled up to be harder for you starting over at level 30-ish. this continues on for the next difficulty levels. Mobs continue to get harder, in some cases zones will get larger and more complex. Inferno is scaled to be difficult at the maximum level.

As for your question about groups... in diablo the more people in your group the harder the mobs become. so if your going through inferno with 4 people the mobs will be harder then if you were going solo. whether or not it is easier is a matter of having good group synergy to overcome the increased difficulty. So don't expect to just be able to grab any 3 idiots you want and expect that to make inferno easier.

Difficult is not the right term Blizzard used in Inferno, Brutal and extremely hard is what they used, difficult might be nightmare

Also I think they mentioned that Inferno can be soloed, I wouldn't want to group up with some noobs only to carry them through Inferno. Mobs will be tougher, It's like this:

1 Player - Mob has 300 Health
    2 Player - Mob has 600 Health
    3 Player - Mob has 900 Health
    4 Player - Mob has 1200 Health

So it won't be faster to kill bosses with more people, but it can make it easier if the group coordinates properly(with CC). Any game is always easier when in a group because Teamwork > Solo.(I still want to solo Inferno lol)

Didn't see it mentioned, but when you've completed normal, around lvl 30, you've not unlocked all the possible skills.

See this link as an example: h ttp : / / eu.batt le.net/d3/en/class/bar barian/progr ession (Remove the spaces)

The beauty of the system is though is that all moves scale, so something you get at lvl 10 may synergise well with other skills.