Selective memory

One thing i can definitely say about game launches - only a couple weeks seperates a ''fail launch'' with ''smooth launch'' when it comes to people's memory of events.

Ive played for years with heaps of players who had to deal with hour(s) long waits trying to connect to servers on launch day, extremely poor play when they do get in, constant disconnects and frequent unscheduled shutdowns for ''maintenance''.

Ask all of them if they had any problems at launch for X game... and they will undoubtedly say ''no i didnt have much of a problem on launch day'' as the game has been great from a week AFTER the really poor launch.

This game will be no different.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's better than Diablo 2 launch was! So we made a step forward! I have no problems myself with the launch as I was asleep. Saw this coming and decided my sleep was worth more than trying to connect.

15+ Year Old Account
    Had some trouble getting in --> Watched south park for 30 minutes --> Came back and got in without issues.
    The log ins were fine 60-90 minutes after midnight (Isn't this a band name or something?)

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter how good or how many servers you have, it cannot, will not, allow for 2 million+ people to log in at the same time.

Took me about 45 minutes to finally log in. I'd call that smooth for a game of this popularity.

Deleted
    WotLK fail
    Cata absolutely smooth (while I hate the expansion, the release was exquisite)
    Most WoW patches fail too, maintenance until 17-20 gg

No selective memory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    Had some trouble getting in --> Watched south park for 30 minutes --> Came back and got in without issues.
    The log ins were fine 60-90 minutes after midnight (Isn't this a band name or something?)
    I think you're referring to 2 minutes to midnight by Iron maiden
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

It's not selective memory, it's the fact that once they actually started playing the game, the fun outweighed the negativity.

Think back to Ulduar. I wouldn't say that was a bad launch day, but it was definitely far worse than any patch I've seen. Whole servers shutting down, bosses one-shotting before being engaged, the whole instance disappearing, etc, etc. The awesomeness that ensued once it stabalized made it not an issue. Had The same issues happened during 3.2, or any patch other than 3.1, and we'd still be hearing about the horrible launch day until today.

It's not selective memory. It's good outweighing bad.

Don't be so neurotic.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Id be happy if i could install easily. Selective memory not an issue.
    Never had problems simply installing. First Diablo III setup would just sit and spin then after install said some file was corrupt. So reinstall wait...turns out just have to delete a .mpq and run launcher to remedy corruption.

Its not selective memory, its a bad installer system. Launch day or not installing is giving people issues.

Seriously the gaming community has become so spoilt and entitled, and this is coming from someone who dislikes Blizzard in general. Lay the hell off.

It is always the same with blizzard games. And I don't mind as long as they keep up this kind of quality of games, I find this more of a luxury problem.

I logged in 2 minutes before it was supposed to launch and got ingame. Guess I just got lucky.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    WotLK fail
    Cata absolutely smooth (while I hate the expansion, the release was exquisite)
    Most WoW patches fail too, maintenance until 17-20 gg

No selective memory.
    Was the opposite for me, everybody was already logged on for cata release and midnight server restart booted everyone out, it tooks 3 hours before beeing able to log in while some people logged back instantly.