Confused about battletags

I'm a bit confused about battletags. I thought they are meant to be a friendsystem that still protects my privacy. Now when I log in to Diablo 3 and view my profile it shows my battletag and my real name (even though that is actually only entered into my WoW payment options, my battlenet account only holds my initials).

So I'm wondering, if I add BattleTag friends will they be able to see rl-info even though I disabled real id ?

---------- Post added 2012-05-16 at 10:00 AM ----------

Does no one know ?

i would also like to know this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if you add by battletag it wont show the whole thing, but if you add by realid It will show your full name

If they add your battletag, it will just show your tag name. For example, if I had tag Nietzsche#1234, the name they see would be Nietzsche, without my real name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    My character is a druid named Bear. I spent days coming up with this unique name and apparently people loved it so much that they named an animal after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nietzsche View Post
    If they add your battletag, it will just show your tag name. For example, if I had tag Nietzsche#1234, the name they see would be Nietzsche, without my real name.
    Yup, this is the way I saw it working last.

The only time they see your name is if you add them on realid then add their battle tag later because the system registers RealID > BattleTag

It gets worse. During beta I shared battletags with some people I used to play WOW with. I have ALL REAL ID functions turned off at the battlenet level, imagine my surprise when one of them called and asked what I was doing in WOW. Blizzard still has not replied to my ticket.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

When you view your own profile, yes you can see your own name, but if you view someone else's profile who you are only battletag friends with you will only see their battletag and without their name underneath it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 08:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    It gets worse. During beta I shared battletags with some people I used to play WOW with. I have ALL REAL ID functions turned off at the battlenet level, imagine my surprise when one of them called and asked what I was doing in WOW. Blizzard still has not replied to my ticket.
    If you add someone by battletag (and not realID), they will still be able to see that you are playing another battle.net game like WoW or SC2, but they will only see you logged in under your battletag name+character name and not your real name, which is how battletags are supposed to work. [Source]
    Last edited by Ineras; 2012-05-17 at 11:59 AM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like the other guy said, battletags have nothing to do with realid. I play both games right now and I can see my battletag-only buddies playing D3 while I'm fishing in Uldum. I can't see their names or anything and they cannot see mine. I know they can't because one messaged me earlier asking me who I was because he didn't recognize the name I used for my battletag. All they are seeing is that Zeruwashu is in such and such zone in WoW, just like you could see what act and quest they are on in D3.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerlynne View Post
    Like the other guy said, battletags have nothing to do with realid. I play both games right now and I can see my battletag-only buddies playing D3 while I'm fishing in Uldum. I can't see their names or anything and they cannot see mine. I know they can't because one messaged me earlier asking me who I was because he didn't recognize the name I used for my battletag. All they are seeing is that Zeruwashu is in such and such zone in WoW, just like you could see what act and quest they are on in D3.
    That is a problem. There is nothing on my account management page I can use to disable that?
    iMac

i just wish they'd add an anon feature to battletags, so i could set anonymous, or invisible mode. sometimes i want to play and not have anyone know i'm on.

Deleted
    In wow, if you block the port that battle.net uses after logging in, you're effectively appearing as offline as far as realid is concerned. Diablo gives an error when blocking that port though.

That is a problem. There is nothing on my account management page I can use to disable that?

nope. i am still hoping they will at least at the ability to log in as invisible like with yahoo messenger at the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    People really need to research before using something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by speakpkhq View Post
    i just wish they'd add an anon feature to battletags, so i could set anonymous, or invisible mode. sometimes i want to play and not have anyone know i'm on.
    Yep. I would love this...but am not holding my breath for its implementation.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Yep. I would love this...but am not holding my breath for its implementation.
    same... for some reason, blizzard thinks everyone is entitled to know when their friends are online. i have friends irl and dont pick up the phone sometimes. what makes blizzard think it's ok for not having an invisible mode? shortsighted imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    People really need to research before using something.
    You do realize they communicated nothing about this issue don't you? They state it is linked to real id then they don't even follow your real id preferences on your battlenet account. Let alone it was a battletag made DURING BETA.
    iMac

Quote Originally Posted by parkerlynne View Post
    are you sure? i have real id disabled on my battle.net account. i play wow and d3. in d3 i have added a bunch of friends using battletag. i only see them, while i'm playing d3, and while they're playing d3. there is no integration with my wow account or their wow accounts. so if i'm in wow, none of my battletag friends show up. they do not see me if they're in d3 and i'm in wow.

The odd thing is that battle tags were introduced to be a private version of real id.

Real id is for friends

Interestingly - WoW supported Realid but not battletag addition, and Diablo vice-versa.