Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    You're both living in a simplistic pillar.
    Eh how? I think society should operate justice with impartiality. I also admit to my own flaws and that I would be highly unlikely to not seek personal vengeance. Offer me a more balanced view than that.

Because in the long run it is a waste of YOUR time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Eh how? I think society should operate justice with impartiality. I also admit to my own flaws and that I would be highly unlikely to not seek personal vengeance. Offer me a more balanced view than that.
    Never mind, I misinterpreted the discussion you were having. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    Because they will want revenge for your revenge, and then there will be a never ending paradox of revenge!
    well if i'm going to get my revenge i just have to kill everybody that he/she knew then they can't take out their revenge on me if they are all dead right?

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDoor View Post
    I would rather ensure a violent act does not happen again and risk killing an innocent than forgiving the offender and risking repeat offences

And I would rather a guilty man go free occasionally than risk an innocent being punished. If we give in to the idea of revenge there will always be someone else to take it. The cycle must end. Why not end right after it starts where the fewest people got hurt?
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    "Sir, you'll have to move, you are blocking the fire exit."
    "Excuse me, but if you have legs and are flammable, you are NEVER blocking a fire exit." I'd run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post
    Actually, the deluge has been very enlightening to me. Lesson of the week is to not go out of your way to treat people with respect because there is a 90% chance they are narcissistic douchebags.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Why is evening of the scale, fixing the balance wrong? (any new ideas that can be applied to modern society, not quote from dead guys or sound bite.
    Because it's AoE, does buttloads of damage and heals.
    OP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by redruMPanda View Post
    I believe in Karma and revenge begets bad karma upon a person so I tend to avoid any tendencies that lead to negativeness upon me.
    Did I just read your comment with an evil looking demon, and a sig presumably written in blood, with skulls and another demon?

so I tend to avoid any tendencies that lead to negativeness upon me.
    negativeness upon me.
    Ironic.

Anyway, OT; Shadowmelded summed it up. If revenge (violence) was allowed, the world/country would be in a s**t state, for instance some third world countries that give a blind eye to such violence. Look at the state they're in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MmoFanatic View Post
    well if i'm going to get my revenge i just have to kill everybody that he/she knew then they can't take out their revenge on me if they are all dead right?
    Yeah, but then all of the people who knew all of those other people you killed would have to go. And then all of the people who knew those people who knew those people you killed would have to go...hell, let's just kill everybody.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalOtaku View Post
    The problem is that people are pretty much incapable of responding appropriately to a perceived slight. This fact explains why two parties are so quick to escalate. It almost always happens. Redress cannot be sought in a heat of passion or the whole incidents explodes.
    That is true, humans are likely to overestimate their losses and underestimate the severity of their own actions. That is why the exactation is handled through the state.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Genetic drift is completely random. Natural Selection though can be predicted as individuals who punish/revenge would be at a loss against others without the behavior genes. Individuals who are inferior at an aspect are usually eliminated in the generations. It's not exact but can be assumed based on previews observations.
    You really don't understand genetics. There is no hierarchy in genes either. By claiming that natural selection acts against "inferior genes" (behavior genes in this context) you are doing nothing but asserting your condescending, holier-than-thou-art stance as some member of an Aryan race.

Also behavior is not entirely derived from genes. It should be common knowledge by now that sociological and environmental factors play the biggest part in shaping behavior (aside from cases where you have things like 2 Y chromosomes)..
    Last edited by Snes; 2012-05-17 at 03:53 AM.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Approx 20 miles west of Phuiladelphia, Pa.
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Why is evening of the scale, fixing the balance wrong? (any new ideas that can be applied to modern society, not quote from dead guys or sound bite.
    OK, please, forgive me but I will quote something I heard many years ago. It comes from a corny source, but it makes sense.

"in certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment."

10+ Year Old Account
    Because getting your revenge doesn't make you feel any good or any better than the target of your revenge. And if it does, you should sit down for a while and think about the kind of person you are.

Deleted
    Revenge = making someone else hurt as much as you (or more)
    So instead of 1 harmed person you will have 2 or even more. Which may revoke even more vengeful feelings, because hey! People tend to disagree.

But it will not take initial hurt away what drove you towards revenge. The rejoice from vengenance is a shallow and empty feeling often swiftly flown away. God knows what harm you brought on with vengeance and who knows what will be provoked in return.

But revenge is supposed to be sweet and a form of justice, I agree. Except it's only for 1 person; you. So ask yourself, will it solve any of the previous hurt? Is the vengeance important enough that you are willing to be selfish about it? (Sometimes being selfishness is important in this crowded world).
    We all love karma but when you formulate it as revenge it's often frowned upon. I think it's healthy to balance the pro's and con's.

So good luck with your evil plans!