Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why wouldn't the elder scrolls system work? I don't understand. Ray of Frost should get stronger as I use it, just as if I were using a bow in Skyrim for example. At certain lvls of improvement I would get runes for it. I'd get lvls from killing mobs which would "gate" the level at which I could push my Ray Of Frost. It makes no god damn sense from either a player perspective or even thematically that I should get runes for abilities I don't touch. Why would missiles get better if I never practised it as a Wizard?

Look I'm not saying it should copy that system exactly but any system where the player is REWARDED for picking an ability is vastly superior to either the d2 or d3 system. I don't expect Blizzard to reinvent the wheel I just expected them to push the game forward a bit more. They did with starcraft 2 IMO and they've generally done that with wow expansions. They haven't in d3 IMO.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-05-17 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post
    2. No stat distribution? You just get stats when you level. WTF is that?
    Well, stat spending in D2 was basically the same. You only took enough strength and dex as you needed to equip items, and then everything else with into vitality. Even sorcs putting a single point into energy was considered a waste of a point.

The D2 stat system was stupid. That's all there is to it. There was only one right way to do it, and it wasn't exactly intuitive to a beginner.
    ಠ_ಠ

I actually like the way skills and runes are set up. Here's the low-down.

As I'm levelling, I gain new abilities or new runes for said abilities. I'm interested in seeing just how effective the new ability or rune is. So I swap out my abilities again, and try the new one. Sometimes it's a hit, sometimes it's a miss (at least in the way I play). Now, it seems to me, the way they've set up skills actually encourages you to try new things, because like it or not, you're gonna be REAL hard-pressed to find a loadout that will work in every situation.

Bear in mind this is only my interpretation, but it seems that what Blizzard has done is create a system that encourages you to NOT stick to just one playstyle, but instead be more adaptive, while at the same time giving you the freedom to play however you want, once you get to a certain level. I can certainly understand that it's not a system that will work for everybody, but I find it a very enjoyable and intelligent way of going about things.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Why wouldn't the elder scrolls system work? I don't understand.
    Well, I can see how maybe an adaption of the system could work, but the thing with the Elder Scrolls series is that the whole world levels up as you do, so there is no balancing issues if a particular ability gets buffed up the wazoo, where as games like Diablo don't work like that as such.

Elder Scrolls you can pretty much wander anywhere at any level and still have a fighting chance to survive... games like Diablo if you wander out of your level zone, you are going to die, no ifs, ands or buts.

I know you aren't trying to say they should carbon copy elder scrolls or anything, I personally think you have some intelligent, valid things to say in regards to the issue, which is why I am making a discussion with you, instead of insulting you for not liking the system.

Am actually really curious as to your ideas as to how they could have taken what they gave D3 and expanded on it (keeping in mind it was always going to end up this way, in that it IS an evolution of the previous games talent systems) How would you improve the system AS IT STANDS now, if you could... lets not worry about scrapping and giving it an entirely new system... lets go with what is already in the game.

I'll miss Frank...

... He's covered wars, you know!

Oh? What's that? Don't like the shoe on the other foot eh? The game made a baby step in 12 years. White knight the fucking game all you like I could care less. It's 2012 and they only moved the game a tiny little notch ahead. It reeks of the year 2000, right down to the failed servers they set up. Look I don't even really care about that I'm it'll be sorted out I'm sure. What bugs me is that they did so little with the franchise over so many years. C'est la vie I guess.
    Why put in a lot of new shit just to have new shit? This game is as perfect as you can make a hack'n'slash game. I don't even like the genre that much, but this game is amazing. The rune and skill system is great and offers diversity and the ability to change around skills all the time to optimize. I changed my skills around tons of times while leveling, because it depended on the situation.

The point being they didn't need to do more. Blizzard didn't invent anything new with either sc2 or WoW because they didn't need to, they changed what was needed and kept what was great about the other games. As a result Blizzard is now dominating three different genres with three different games.

So I'm sorry if you didn't like playing your Wizard, try another class, try another game or go whine on the forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makroskizhar View Post
    How would you improve the system AS IT STANDS now, if you could... lets not worry about scrapping and giving it an entirely new system... lets go with what is already in the game.

It's kinda hard because the system in play now from a leveling stand point is very rigid. One thing they could do is instead of assigning you a rune at a certain lvl, let you pick a rune from the abilities you already have. So instead of absolutely having to take the lvl 9 magic missle rune why not let me pick a rune from the primary skills I have. At lvl 9 IIRC I have magic missle, spectral swords and shock touch as primary abilties. Okay so what would be nice is if you could pick a rune from any one of those three. And the next time you get a rune say at lvl 11 or 12 you pick a secondary skills rune. Same thing for secondary and the rest of the trees. This at least frees it up to some progress and user choice. By lvl 60 you have everything anyway so it doesn't really matter.

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 08:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blib View Post
    Why put in a lot of new shit just to have new shit? This game is as perfect as you can make a hack'n'slash game. I don't even like the genre that much, but this game is amazing. The rune and skill system is great and offers diversity and the ability to change around skills all the time to optimize. I changed my skills around tons of times while leveling, because it depended on the situation.

The point being they didn't need to do more. Blizzard didn't invent anything new with either sc2 or WoW because they didn't need to, they changed what was needed and kept what was great about the other games. As a result Blizzard is now dominating three different genres with three different games.

So I'm sorry if you didn't like playing your Wizard, try another class, try another game or go whine on the forums.
    If you think diablo is as perfect as a hack n slash game can be I would encourage you to check out the following titles:

Dungeon Siege 3
    Torchlight 2
    Lineage Eternal

DS3 was a personal favourite I enjoyed it immensely although it didn't have the brand and name recognition that diablo does so it never quite took off. Torchlight 2 and Lineage are both very promising titles I look forward to playing. It is far from perfect and you calling it that does the company a disservice. Gameplay considerations aside I could list a number of things I found wrong with the game. They dominate the genres because of name recognition and marketing. Tl2 will be be the same game but with 10x the features and for 1/3 the cost. Hell it's made by the guys who created d1 and d2. It will not take off like diablo 3 did for one simple reason. Brand label.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-05-17 at 08:53 AM.

I dont understand everyones criticisms really. D2 was a phenominal game so they tried to use that style to make d3. Yes there are some changes with the skills but for the most part it is very very similar to d2. The graphics were never going to be amazing as they wanted everyone to be able to play and not have to go buy a new computer for what is essentially a single player game, and if you played d1 and d2 you would see graphics have never been top of the line.

There is no cookie cutter spec at level 60, sure there may be for the "elitists" but this isnt wow, play how you want and so long as shit dies and you dont who really cares? There are no meters, there is no raid, hell there doesnt even need to be parties. Yes you have to go online to play but they did this in hopes of reducing hacking attempts within the game... hello SoJ dupes? Can you really blame them for wanting to make the game more secure? So youre upset that we dont get to put 5 points randomly into our characters? Honestly why would you be mad that we dont have to worry about screwing up stat point placement. That was one of the most annoying things in d2. Remember levelling a sorc up getting her best chest piece to drop and then being like oh shit yeah i didnt put enough points into strength to wear the stupid thing! Oh wait ill just respec really quick... oh shit yeah i cant! Well guess i need to reroll again how fun. Having it done normally like every other game makes more sense and simply makes it less annoying. As for the skill points i personally prefer this system. It allows for alot more freedom in changing how you want to play your character. In d2 if you levelled a sorc say blizzard specd, you had to completely level another sorc to make them meteor specd, very tedious and unnecessary. With this its a simple click click done and im using other skills that are just as strong as the others.

This franchise has always been linear, you literally play the same acts on 3 different difficulties, then farm bosses/cows for better gear. Anyone going into this game expecting anything different should be disappointed as you obviously had never played a diablo game before. This game is not an MMO, it is not intended to have a gigantic evergrowing world that you could play several different times with new quests and zones to explore. This is an ARPG and that is it. Kill stuff, get gear, kill more stuff get more gear, really rather simple.

Point being if you want to complain then stop playing, its not like youre paying a monthly fee anyway and alot of you essentially got it for free with the AP anyways. Let us that enjoy the game play it and have fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kinda hard because the system in play now from a leveling stand point is very rigid. One thing they could do is instead of assigning you a rune at a certain lvl, let you pick a rune from the abilities you already have. So instead of absolutely having to take the lvl 9 magic missle rune why not let me pick a rune from the primary skills I have. At lvl 9 IIRC I have magic missle, spectral swords and shock touch as primary abilties. Okay so what would be nice is if you could pick a rune from any one of those three. And the next time you get a rune say at lvl 11 or 12 you pick a secondary skills rune. Same thing for secondary and the rest of the trees. This at least frees it up to some progress and user choice. By lvl 60 you have everything anyway so it doesn't really matter.
    Yeah, ok that is a pretty good way to deal with it. Gives a little more play in terms of leveling choice, but doesn't gimp the fact that by level 60 you will have all runes unlocked anyways. Mebbe they will add this in a patch down the road on when the inevitable xpac comes out. Would be interesting to see.

I'll miss Frank...

3. Level cap is 60. This isn't wow. I don't want to buy expansion after expansion. I don't want to be spoonfed content.
    They've already stated that the Max Level will not increase.

So, all of your complaints are just stupid and wrong, lovely.

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 08:51 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

If you think diablo is as perfect as a hack n slash game can be I would encourage you to check out the following titles:

Dungeon Siege 3
    Torchlight 2
    Lineage Eternal

DS3 was a personal favourite I enjoyed it immensely although it didn't have the brand and name recognition that diablo does so it never quite took off. Torchlight 2 and Lineage are both very promising titles I look forward to playing. It is far from perfect and you calling it that does the company a disservice. Gameplay considerations aside I could list a number of things I found wrong with the game. They dominate the genres because of name recognition and marketing. Tl2 will be be the same game but with 10x the features and for 1/3 the cost. Hell it's made by the guys who created d1 and d2. It will not take off like diablo 3 did for one simple reason. Brand label.
    Torchlight 2 isn't out yet but I didn't play the first one and compared to D3 its nothing. What does Torchlight do better thne D3?
    Please do list what is wrong with the game, not personal opinions though, things that are actually wrong with the game.

Blizzard is dominationg the genres because they make great games, there is a reason they even have a brand name this well recognized. SC2 is the best game in its genre, D3 and WoW in theires. Saying people are just imagining they like the games ebcause Blizzard is a big brand is kind of silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't play the first one and compared to D3 its nothing.
    I would like to know how you could compare it to Diablo III if you haven't actually played it...

I'll miss Frank...

10+ Year Old Account
    Torchlight 2 isn't out yet but I didn't play the first one and compared to D3 its nothing. What does Torchlight do better thne D3?
    Please do list what is wrong with the game, not personal opinions though, things that are actually wrong with the game.

Blizzard is dominationg the genres because they make great games, there is a reason they even have a brand name this well recognized. SC2 is the best game in its genre, D3 and WoW in theires. Saying people are just imagining they like the games ebcause Blizzard is a big brand is kind of silly.
    Wait what? How else could I list what's wrong with the game that isn't a personal opinion. Wtf is that? You want me to give you some programming errors I found? A bug list? Like that's stuff physicall wrong witht he game. of course it's my opinion. Just like you think it's perfect. It's not a fact that it's perfect. I know many of you would like to believe it but it's just not the case.

I'm not saying their imagining anything. I'm saying that blizzard has marketability and that's why even games that are arguably superior in many aspects (RE: Torchlight 2) don't take off as much because they don't have the brand recognition. FYI Tl2 will have full mod support, 8 player lan and online, offline mode, fishing, pets, and only cost 20 bucks. It's literally made by the guys who created d1 and d2 and Total biscuit raved about the games beta. In terms of features it's already superior to d3. Time will tell if the actual game is.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-05-17 at 09:04 AM.

I would like to know how you could compare it to Diablo III if you haven't actually played it...
    Herp derp and more erp?

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree and that's why you should have the ability to choose what spells you want to lvl and progress as you lvl. The progression in the game should be reflective of what you want it to be, not the arbitrary hand of the developer. I don't expect or want everything at lvl 1, I just expect the growth and progression of my character to reflect my playstyle. It doesn't. It reflects whatever the developers want me to get at that lvl. Again before d3 I was playing Skyrim for like a month and that games does exactly what I said very well. I didn't expect that from diablo but it is a bit of an adjustment and frankly I expected something less restrictive. At 60 I'm sure it's fine.
    I remember playing assasin in D2. I was so pissed, i wanted to get a shadow clone AND combo attacks. But i could not, because i would loose SO much skillpoints only to learn all fillers befor a clone.

I find D3 skill system awesome, you can try everything. Leveling is not that hard or long (Monk 50 level solo game in 2nd day), so you will get your abbilities, and now - enjoy your magic missile.

You have fillers in any RPG game, even WoW, maybe i want me cat form at level 1? or my Infernal on level 5? I should start bitching about it, so blizz will just give us 1 spell point and we will level 1 spell every level by our own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Wait what? How else could I list what's wrong with the game that isn't a personal opinion. Wtf is that? You want me to give you some programming errors I found? A bug list? Like that's stuff physicall wrong witht he game. of course it's my opinion. Just like you think it's perfect. It's not a fact that it's perfect. I know many of you would like to believe it but it's just not the case.

I'm not saying their imagining anything. I'm saying that blizzard has marketability and that's why even games that are arguably superior in many aspects (RE: Torchlight 2) don't take off as much is because they don't have the brand recognition. FYI Tl2 will have full mod support, 8 player lan and online, offline mode, fishing, pets, and only cost 20 bucks. It's literally made by the guys who created d1 and d2 and Total biscuit raved about the games beta review. In terms of features it's already superior to d3. Time will tell if the actual game is.
    So basiclly there are certan things you personaly don't like about the game so its not good? So your personal opinions are facts and the opinions of everyone else? But please do tell me what in your opinion makes this a bad game?

Can you please explain to me what Torchilight 2 does better? Funny how you ahve decided that a game which is not yet out is better then a game you clearly havent even hit 60 in, yet alone done inferno.

This is a hack'n'slash not a rpg, fishing and pets doesn't make it a better game in any way shape or form. Why does offline mode mather? You don't have a connection? Which leaves you with mod support and 8 player lan which I don't care about at all, same way you do care about it, so again how is Torchlight 2 better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Herp derp and more erp?
    So. basically you don't actually have anything constructive to add to the conversation?

I'll miss Frank...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post
    Here is my complaints;
    1. The skill system is terrible. You get to choose 6 abilities, the lack of hotkey and swapping between skills is tedious and mindnumbingly restraining. It really upset me.
    2. No stat distribution? You just get stats when you level. WTF is that?
    3. Level cap is 60. This isn't wow. I don't want to buy expansion after expansion. I don't want to be spoonfed content.
    4. Wizards are absolutely stupid in every way.

Other than that, the game is great.
    It doesn't feel like a Diablo game, at all.. still a good game tho.

Edit: Are you kidding me? The original WoW talents were exactly like D2? Are you mental? Did you Play Wow At launch/Vanilla era? PUhh leeeeease. Nothing alike at all.

They were the exact same. You had 3 trees, you got a point per level, which you could put in whatever you wanted, the more points you invested in a tree/skill lead to another more powerful skills. Some were passive some were active.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

So. basically you don't actually have anything constructive to add to the conversation?
    Do you actually have anything to add to the discussion? If not please refrain from answearing.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Oh? What's that? Don't like the shoe on the other foot eh? The game made a baby step in 12 years. White knight the fucking game all you like I could care less. It's 2012 and they only moved the game a tiny little notch ahead. It reeks of the year 2000, right down to the failed servers they set up. Look I don't even really care about that I'm it'll be sorted out I'm sure. What bugs me is that they did so little with the franchise over so many years. C'est la vie I guess.
    Did so little? They wrote a billion books to promote the lore of Sanctuary.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the ones who whine about graphics think about other people. i cant afford to buy a new computer so i shouldnt play games ... i thank Blizz for creating Diablo 3 playable with my old computer and they put a ultra option there. if you want you can choose it.