Good class for playing solo?

I got Diablo 3 a few days ago and I'm enjoying it, but I am struggling to find a good class to play. I am mainly intending to play solo rather than with groups and I find my Wizard (currently level 10) is quite squishy and spends most of it's time running away casting Frost Nova. I tried a Monk next, but not solo, I was playing with a friend (Witch Doctor) at a LAN. It was very fun, with amazing cleave damage, but after he left and I was left soloing (level 14) I was having trouble staying alive.

Does anyone have some suggestions of which classes are fun/good to play solo?

Deleted
    So far I have not died many times on my monk. (lvl 24 - act II) Using the blind skill and the right-mouse kick that knockbacks creatures you should be able to cope with most mobs pretty easy. (on normal)
    Anyway it is said a Demon Hunter is the strongest solo class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Witch Doctor -Great AOE dmg, pets tank for you, super fun to play !
    Quote Originally Posted by Ano
    Stop being french, it's just shift-2.

From what I've seen, all classes can solo well if built right. I know a wizard soloed the last boss on Inferno mode. A Demon Hunter soloed Skeleton King on Inferno a few days ago, and I'm sure is much further now. From my own personal play experience I think tanky Barbarians are overpowered, as I'm level 51 and haven't died yet.

I don't really have a lot of experience with Monk and Witch Doctor, but I'd bet they're fine if the other 3 classes can solo well.

I can tell you that wizard is all about the kiting. Some mobs I can nuke and kill with ease, those tend to be the ones that don't get in my face (with exception to mortar mobs, which can die in a fire). Other mobs will kick my arse over and over and over. Those tend to be hard hitting mobs that I cannot kite (the ones that teleport to you and hit like a truck in act 3). I would say level all to at least act 4. Wizard gave me a bit of trouble until I got high enough for some awesome abilities then I was golden until I encountered some really bad combinations of elites/rares.

TL;DR - Different strokes for different folks. Level them all until you find one you like.

Deleted
    I soloed the game with a monk to inferno

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been soloing content on normal as a Demon Hunter (no allies or anything) and so far I am loving it. I feel threatened enough that I have to be careful, but everything is pretty do-able. The only time I needed to bring a companion at all was on the Butcher, and that is because I was tired of dying when the game lagged on me. I am taking my time, just in the beginning of act II and I am near level 18. The Demon Hunter is a very kitey class, but with staggering, immobilizing with the passive and vault, it is just so easy to survive a pack of mobs. Also, you have not lived until you stood on a bridge with wave upon wave of demons attacking you and watching them all collapse due to rapid fire.

I've been sending the good rares and blues to my Monk since she is going to be my online toon (she is now broken by the way) but everything else I am scrapping to make better items for my demon hunter and the gold I get is to increase my crafter's level. The Monk seems to also be great for soloing, but since I am making her more supportive, I am not sure how well she would do by herself.

Deleted
    I'd say monk

If you build for self healing and spirit regen you can just go on and on and on

Deleted
    I play WD, I'm currently at the Skeleton king (Act I) on Inferno, if you are wanting to solo (past Hell) I don't suggest playing a WD for solo only.
    Wizards, Demon hunters and Monks seem to preveil at solo play, if you do however have friends you can play with, I assure you, you will LOVE playing a Witch Doctor

Also: First solo of Inferno Diablo went to a Wizard (I believe)

Demon Hunter or Wizard.

Wizard due to silly ability that makes it so they have to take a minimum of 3 hits to die, Demon Hunter because they're just really good with proper Smokescreen usage.

I just got to Inferno on my Demon Hunter. Got to and killed Skeleton King in one sitting with zero deaths, killing about ten champion/elite packs on the way. Didn't have to skip anything, and got some terrible combos like Votrex/Fire Chains/Molten/Waller...which was actually quite difficult.

Deleted
    I'd say that it's either Monk or Demon Hunter.

I have a level 51 Monk, and with the right combination of skills and runes, they're fairly good at soloing. Just wait 'til you get mantras, and you'll be far better at soloing.

I've also got a level 24 Demon Hunter, and I find myself just plowing through mostly everything, and I've only died once because of a very stupid pull. As I'm only level 24, I haven't experienced their soloing capabilites at higher levels, but I saw a Demon Hunter who soloed Diablo on Inferno (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5235705122, check the screenshots), so I can only assume that they're very solid at soloing.

Good luck on choosing.

Deleted
    I currently play a lvl 30 Barbarian, almost done with Act III and haven't died much so far. I'm even DPS specced. I'm sure that'll change though once I get passed Normal and into the harder difficulties. But we'll see. So far I'm loving the Barb and that's what matters right?

Don't go with Barb at least.
    Once you get up to Hell+ you'll get smacked down by almost everything.
    Since all the floor-aoe does shit-tons of damage you basically can't melee some mobs, and some of the bosses frankly hit too hard to be tanked.

I've heard that Wizards are very good for soloing as they have nice survival capabilities as well as kiting.

Deleted
    Don't you guys think that if it turns out that Barbs can't get passed hell+ they'll get fixxed somehow? I mean it can't be that we're forced to play 1 or 2 classes if we wanna finish the game right??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Don't you guys think that if it turns out that Barbs can't get passed hell+ they'll get fixxed somehow? I mean it can't be that we're forced to play 1 or 2 classes if we wanna finish the game right??
    Absolutely