Deleted

Wizard and shield?

Hello was just wondering for solo purposes if anyone tryed going with a shield instead for offhand?

Deleted
    Nope i haven't. I run around with a 2-hand mace and melting everything that comes in my way. I guess shield can be good when your doing Hell but i don't see any point of having a shield on Normal or Nightmare.

A lot of Hardcore Wizards and Demon Hunters use shields for insurance. Some wizards could probably pull off an up close and personal sort of build with Diamond Armor, Spectral Blade and such, and a shield might be good for that.

Hell, try it out. What's the worst that could happen?

So far I think Ive had shield about half of my playtime as wizard haha. I dont mind it really, but I havent gotten far enough to have any good use for it
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Currently, shields aren't worth it. In D2, sorceresses wore shields because you could achieve 75% block (moreover, you needed it. Moreover, shields blocked 100% damage). In D3, shields have 20-30% chance to block 2-3K damage - that's when you get meleed for 8-10K averagely on Inferno.

Yes, you can squeeze out a bit more survivability out of it, but not even remotely enough to save your life.

Deleted
    You could probably get around 40% block but the main reason to use a shield is the large amount of extra armor reducing damage you take.

Quote Originally Posted by dahmer View Post
    You could probably get around 40% block but the main reason to use a shield is the large amount of extra armor reducing damage you take.
    If you're a wizard and you get melee'd, you're going to die. You shouldn't ever soak melee or projectile damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerply-fried Orange View Post
    If you're a wizard and you get melee'd, you're going to die. You shouldn't ever soak melee or projectile damage.
    Bullcrap. There are plenty of ways to get good dmg reduction and avoidance to be able to take a hit or two. Every class can get the same amount of armor value & resistances so there's no such thing as a certain class not being able to get a melee hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dahmer View Post
    Bullcrap. There are plenty of ways to get good dmg reduction and avoidance to be able to take a hit or two. Every class can get the same amount of armor value & resistances so there's no such thing as a certain class not being able to get a melee hit.
    Monks and Barbarian innate 30% melee dog reduction says hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mathezar View Post
    Monks and Barbarian innate 30% melee dog reduction says hi
    Because it was too low? Still very much possible to deal with a melee hit as a wizard.

shields armour value reduces damage taken from 60% to 45% (not exact numbers) that means 25% less damage taken. with 30k hp thats 7500free hp. dont tell me it wont help you survive especially in hardcore...