Thread: Offline Mode

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    The fact that the copy-protection has already been cracked..... doesnt mean it wasnt the copy protection
    He said offline play wont come because online play is the copy protection.
    That statement is false if the copy protection is broken before release. it can no longer be the reason for offline play not being released
    It could very well be the reason it did not come, but it cant be the reason it is not going to come, at a later point.

Reading what someone writes is all good and all, but it hollows out when you forget to read the quoted part, in which the response was aimed.
    Last edited by mmoc3e885d321a; 2012-05-20 at 03:38 PM.

Deleted
    i wouldnt mind it, heck i played most of D2 offline, but I wont go all bananas in complaining like some people are doing. i havnt had any lag problems with d3 and i have a crappy connection.

Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    That statement is false if the copy protection is broken before release. it can no longer be the reason for offline play not being released

Reading what someone writes is all good and all, but it hollows out when you forget to read the quoted part, in which the response was aimed.
    What he said was correct. If game companies followed what you say no game would have copy protection because it always get cracked anyway.

Deleted
    No. I know it must suck for those with crappy connections but I like how it is and I have yet to experience any of the mysterious bugs and lag storms some people seem to have.

In order to do so they would either have to:

1. Re-write Diablo III so that all the loot / health / position data is not taken from a server (that is a LOT of re-writing of a game that makes server calls all the time), and add to it so that it has the ability to do that on the client (which isnt built into the client because... well because it doesnt need to do it).

or

2. Write and distribute a standalone server that can run on peoples PCs to allow Diablo to connect to those local servers. If they did this (and I am sure they wont) then they would pretty much have to make it a single user server, or make it only listen to the local loopback address or something or people would just set up their own network instead of using battle.net.

My feeling is: either way there would be a LOT of work for Blizzard to do to make this game have an "offline" mode. There simply isnt enough in it for them to do it tbh.
    It's not taken from server, like Diablo 2...

Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Yes it should be there, people will always defend blizzard even though there is no defence. I personally will also be downloading a pirate version to have for offline characters.(ive paid for this, so i dont care what people think about me also having a working copy of the game)
    Even if one of the requirements to play Diablo 3 would be to stand on your head while singing Oh baby baby baby song people would still defend Blizzard.

What they should have done is some kinda system that sends packets of info to the blizz servers. To verify that you arent cheating. Not that you have to log onto a server and play on blizzards servers. you should have been able to host the game on your own computer. that you are streaming the map and shit from blizz is just retarded

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    What he said was correct. If game companies followed what you say no game would have copy protection because it always get cracked anyway.
    There are plenty of examples of features coming later because they were hindered by a copy protection, which got broken.
    Small things like running games without CD/dvd in your drive, as an common example.

His statement was false.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    What they should have done is some kinda system that sends packets of info to the blizz servers. To verify that you arent cheating. Not that you have to log onto a server and play on blizzards servers. you should have been able to host the game on your own computer. that you are streaming the map and shit from blizz is just retarded
    Your not very old, are you?

It could very well be the reason it did not come, but it cant be the reason it is not going to come, at a later point.
    Indeed, it cant be the reason it wont come. It can be (at least in part) the reason it wasnt there to start with (although I would say thats a pretty weak copy protection in the first place). The bigger reason for it is the RMAH of course. That - and the reason the game hasnt been MADE to support an offline mode and would have to be totally re-written to have one - are the reasons it will likely never come.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    while i just hate not being able to play a solo game such as d3 because servers are down/lagging/bugging/etc, i doubt they'll ever add an offline mode because... well, bliz just sucks.

fanboys won't care about the rubber banding bs or the 300+ms ping crap but quite some people do.
    welcome to the world of lagcraft.
    You re funny, always 100ms here in my country, @latin~america, so i can assumme it's about your silly ISP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesker View Post
    Nah I'm good thanks, you can keep it. I like my Diablo 3 the way it is.

In an age where everyone is online all the time anyway whether they're at a computer or not I guess it seems silly to get so worked up about this.
    The battlenet/diablo servers aren't though and even when they are it performs like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    It's not taken from server, like Diablo 2...
    What isnt taken from the server? Not sure what you are saying here.

Position data is taken from the server - or rather the client pushes the position data to the server and the server acknowledges it (hence the rubber banding when there is latency issues).

Achievements are stored on the server (at least - I think so - I will check when I get back to work and can check my achievements on that PC. If they are different then OK.... they are stored on the PC but I don't think so).

Loot drops are decided upon by the server - this is a requirement of the RMAH. if the client decided loot drops - it would be easy to make fake items and then feed them to the RMAH.

Characters, gear, storage and progress are stored on the servers which is why you can go to another PC and still access your characters.

If you have seen previous postings of mine you MIGHT see that I claimed before that it was only the login that was online - the rest runs on your PC. Well, I admit I was wrong there. All the things I mentioned above wouldn't work if it was just on your own PC. As the game has been written to check loot drops, character details, position and so much more from the server, to do without a server would require a re-write of the game. Of course, if blizzard had intended to later create an offline mode (unlikely) they could have just built this server access code as a data access module that could be swapped out with a local storage module.. but only if they have written it with that in mind.

What isnt taken from the server? Not sure what you are saying here.

Position data is taken from the server - or rather the client pushes the position data to the server and the server acknowledges it (hence the rubber banding when there is latency issues).

Working on the client side

Achievements are stored on the server (at least - I think so - I will check when I get back to work and can check my achievements on that PC. If they are different then OK.... they are stored on the PC but I don't think so).

Removed in the Offline mode
    Loot drops are decided upon by the server - this is a requirement of the RMAH. if the client decided loot drops - it would be easy to make fake items and then feed them to the RMAH.

Can be put on the Offline mode, it's just a simple logic

Characters, gear, storage and progress are stored on the servers which is why you can go to another PC and still access your characters.

Can be managed on the client side
    If you have seen previous postings of mine you MIGHT see that I claimed before that it was only the login that was online - the rest runs on your PC. Well, I admit I was wrong there. All the things I mentioned above wouldn't work if it was just on your own PC. As the game has been written to check loot drops, character details, position and so much more from the server, to do without a server would require a re-write of the game. Of course, if blizzard had intended to later create an offline mode (unlikely) they could have just built this server access code as a data access module that could be swapped out with a local storage module.. but only if they have written it with that in mind.
    You are just telling us how the game is working here, not how IT CAN work.

Deleted
    This game copy protection might be hacked as some called it but none of the emulator servers you can really play the game on because all the data(monsters/quests/items) are all on the blizzard servers.
    As soon as they release a client side server for offline play item duping and other stuff will increase allot because everyone can see how the backend works then.

Deleted
    i like how you claim that they need to add an offline mode for players with poor internet, or to satisfy the people who must play during updates or downtime. to put it shortly, they don't. it's their game and they can do whatever they like. it's not like the game was already released and they suddenly changed the way the game works after you purchased it.

you have known for a long time now that it required an always online connection to play the game and to complain now because your internet sucks or they have downtime is just plain retarded. why buy the game in the first place if you know your net sucks or you live in the middle of nowhere? it's your fault for not doing the research or having the common sense that there will of course be server downtime or ping issues at certain times, like any other game that is always online. the complaints are actually getting insane now. it's by far a perfect system, but it does reduce hackers, pirates, and lets them control their own game.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone with frequent disconnects, I'd appreciate something like "Lost connection to server" "try again / cancel". Nothing makes me rage more than DCing just before next dungeon level.
    English is not my mainspec!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Because someone will certainly cheat to get those achievements.
    How would one cheat to get co-op achievements? And how would someone even come close to 'cheating' to get an achievement?

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Not possible.

false. Diablo 3 is already emulated.
    as far as i've heard only beta client has been sucessfully emulated where did you hear final release was?

edit:

Honestly i'd definetly like to see an offline mode like SC2 implemented. Why do you ask? simple. I have quite a few gamer friends in the military. when they get shipped abroad they won't allways have acess to the internet. Especially when stationed on a ship/sub. NO INTERWEBS FOR YOU!
    Last edited by Arteous; 2012-05-20 at 06:41 PM.

I love you're forced to be online because it keeps the "you disagree with me, therefore you are a fanboy" butthurts from being able to play.

---------- Post added 2012-05-20 at 06:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    Honestly i'd definetly like to see an offline mode like SC2 implemented. Why do you ask? simple. I have quite a few gamer friends in the military. when they get shipped abroad they won't allways have acess to the internet. Especially when stationed on a ship/sub. NO INTERWEBS FOR YOU!
    So far, this is the single legitimate reason I have heard for any offline play. Nobody else has been able to come up with anything other than "blizzard is forcing their hand upon me, they are controlling my life!"

Seriously it seems like the vast majority of the guys on this forum are more emotional than my girlfriends 14 year old sister.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.