Thread: Melee vs Ranged

Melee vs Ranged

First of all if you are still in Normal or Nightmare please dont respond saying your monk/barb is OP.

I am almost finished with Act III Hell and Im on the last quest to descend down and kill Azmodan so will be starting Act IV soon. My monk is 60 with the best gear I could find because the AH is screwed up with everything 58+ costing 200k or more for an item. I find it almost impossible to take out any blue chain mobs. Because I have to be in their face it means I will react to slimepools and fire slower. I dont care how fast you think you can click you wont get out before taking some damage and usually you are surrounded by mobs so you might not even be able to get out. And if theres cutters thrown in I just give up and wait to die.

Given those same mobs ranged can freely kite them all day without worrying about dieing. Also please dont tell me to kite. Im melee I have ZERO ranged abilities so please tell me how you kite without doing damage. Also I dont want to kite I want to be in a mobs face beating it in. I rolled a melee because I wanted to melee. If I wanted to kite Id be a wizard or witchdoctor.

Does anyone else who is playing a monk/barb also think it gets a bit ridiculous in Hell? I know the last two difficulties are supposed to be hard but when I party up and die to a blue pack and then watch a WD/DH/Wizard solo them it starts to piss me off. I remember the start of Act III in the castle siege I died 6 times to a blue pack grouped with a wizard. Id keep running back and dieing again because they had fire and cutters. The wizard never died once and ended up killing the mobs basically solo and I was 60 at the time and she was 56.

Im trying to get better loot but when you have to skip 90% of all packs of blues and yellows it makes it kind of hard. Also Im forced to stack vitality and resists which means I gimp my dex and thus do less damage. Mobs dieing slower means more time for me to make a mistake. How are other Monks and Barbs getting through Hell or even Inferno? If gear is my problem where should I farm for some? I have a 115% magic find set, it severely gimps my stats, but at least it should let me find gear faster. So just tell me where to go and I will.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is my Barbarian build for soloing act 4 inferno.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculat...SfU!hfW!ZZccab

Doesn't matter how much hp or armour/dmg mitigation you have, enjoy getting 3 shot. Time to kite with weapon throw.

Melee is fucking terrible Act III Hell+ barbs getting the short end of the stick but monks aren't much better. It's funny watching my brother rape everything in sight with his Demon Hunter.

Best way for monks I heard is stack Dex (gives you dodge) and stack 1 resist and use the one with everything passive.
    Last edited by Desh; 2012-05-20 at 09:04 PM.

Im just having trouble finding loot. All of it is under 55 and some pieces are in the 40s. I just cant afford stuff on the AH because so few people are 60 compared to everyone else so prices are out of control. I have 600k that would get me 2-3 pieces at most. I havent even gotten a single drop from Act I-Act III that I can use. Everything I get is int/str and not a single weapon.

Someone please tell me a good set of quests in Hell I can farm for loot. Is there something similar to Azmodan runs where I can get 1-2 yellows in around 5-7 minutes.

Yea I never understood why people talk about their vitality builds with 45% damage reduction and still getting 2 shot. Whats the point of sacrificing so much damage if you are just going to get 2 shot anyway?

Vitality stopped being useful starting in hell act 2.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Ok i forgot all the names for all abilities but here it goes:
    GET SPIRIT REGEN
    Sweeping winds thingy with the 3 spirit at 3 stacks: GET IT.
    The left click damagy ability with 15 spirit per crit: GET IT (works with ALL crits for ALL abilities)
    Then get mantra of healing with boon of whatever and SPAM DAT SHIT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    This is my Barbarian build for soloing act 4 inferno.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculat...SfU!hfW!ZZccab

Doesn't matter how much hp or armour/dmg mitigation you have, enjoy getting 3 shot. Time to kite with weapon throw.

Melee is fucking terrible Act III Hell+ barbs getting the short end of the stick but monks aren't much better. It's funny watching my brother rape everything in sight with his Demon Hunter.

Best way for monks I heard is stack Dex (gives you dodge) and stack 1 resist and use the one with everything passive.
    I COMPLETELY agree with you. Something needs to be done about Barbarians in Hell/Inferno. You're essentially pidgeon-holed into using a shield, all defensive abilities, and stacking VIT just to stay alive. It's kinda ridiculous that I'm (and it's not just me, most barbs echo my sentiments) forced to be a meat shield that isn't much of a meat shield.

10+ Year Old Account
    I yearn for the days when melee aren't getting the shaft in any online rpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Then get mantra of healing with boon of whatever and SPAM DAT SHIT.
    Is the shield from boon of Protection better than 20% to all resists?

---------- Post added 2012-05-20 at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I yearn for the days when melee aren't getting the shaft in any online rpg.
    Everquest melees owned. Could pull 150-200 mobs at a time with my Shadowknight and finish every fight at full health.

Hell is where I stopped playing a Barbarian. Mundane mobs you can handle well enough w/ a tanky + lifeleech build. But any champ pack would fucking shred you.

Rolled a Demon Hunter. It's pretty good.

Everquest melees owned. Could pull 150-200 mobs at a time with my Shadowknight and finish every fight at full health.
    Remember when Monks were gods in EQ and Berserkers nigh unkillable? /timemachine

Yea, I quit my barb around mid act 2 Hell, it just wasn't fun in the slightest anymore. The whole "you'll be able to succeed with multiple skill and rune setups" they were preaching to support the new skill system is bullshit, you go defensive or you die, and then you still die if the affixes aren't favorable. It is simply not fun playing on a supposed badass toe-to-toe melee character that can't melee. Seismic Slam kiting is boring and slow as hell.

Hell Azmodan was pretty easy. Not the 5 mins it takes to do Nightmare but easily farmable. Gonna try that. Got a few gear upgrades. Up to 5k damage, 32k health, and 140 all resists. Also with Sweeping Wind combined with 700 thorns mobs should just fall at my feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    It gets pretty rough on my monk (58 in hell A3)
    I'm using: breath of heaven + extra heal rune
    Blinding flash + duration rune, serenity + duration rune, the lightning punch + teleport rune, crippling strike + damage reduction rune, mantra of healing + stronger healing rune,
    Passives: healing with spirit spent, 100% armor from DEX, and near death experience.
    Oh and I'm using a fist weapon and a shield.

Ive got insane survivability and can tear through packs of mobs with ease, and unless I'm stuck in a hallway I don't have TOO much trouble with champs (certain affix combos aside)

Can't wait to try a ranged class once this guy is maxed and farming
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.