Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Their banking on people using the RMAH, I'm not sure why that's in dispute. Your friends will get all their gear and you'll get all yours and they'll wanna move up the diffilculty and not be bothered with the constant farm so it's off to the AH. Or you have an alt you'd like to play and catch up to your buddies so its off to the real money AH. It's a tool to help do two things.

1. Generate revenue stream
    2. Help casuals keep up with friends who are more hardcore.

Very simplified example 1: every time an item drops there is a chance of 20% (1/5, 5 is a number of classes) the item is for you, and a chance of 80% the item is not for you (4/5). 4 items out of 5 are garbage. Of course it is not that simple, you have shared weapons and class-specific weapons, multiplied by random stats etc.
    Example 2: at one point in time my monk had all yellow items except 2 blue.
    Example 3: at one point in time I noticed I was not getting any staves for hours and I wanted to upgrade one for my enchantress. Suddenly in a span of 5 minutes I got around 5.
    TLDR: it's random, 90% useless items is intended.

my level 30 barb is almost completely in rare gear, have salvaged lots of wearable items I was debating was an upgrade/sidegrade. random drops are anecdotes, nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get mad at people pirating and duping on the first two Diablos. They're one of the many reasons why it's an online-only game now.

BUY ZOD RUNES FOR XXX AT BLAHBLAHBADSITE DOT COM.

People do it a lot too. Or did in the past when D2 was bigger. It's just a way to police things better for people. It sucks but Blizzard can keep a better eye out on D2.

Also, RNG. If you are having a hard time with getting drops then vendor stuff and leveling your blacksmithing. It's not Blizzard's fault to have bad luck and look on the AH time to time. You can play the game without ever using the AH feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thalarg View Post
    it's random, 90% useless items is intended.
    that's precisely the point the OP is making. Loot is intended to be worthless to encourage looking into the AH.

I'd like to know how many people finish the game in hell or inferno without buying anything from the AH. If there are any, well props to them cause it must make it a lot more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by mehow2g View Post
    You didnt read my post did you?

I have played for 3 years straight and on and off the past 12 years....
    3 years straight on and off the past 12 years... what is this I don't even. My hat of d02 know no limit

Quote Originally Posted by zluu View Post
    that's precisely the point the OP is making. Loot is intended to be worthless to encourage looking into the AH.

I'd like to know how many people finish the game in hell or inferno without buying anything from the AH. If there are any, well props to them cause it must make it a lot more difficult.
    I have bought 2 items from the AH so far, how is that different from trading in-game? Except for being easier and safer?

Items were/are being sold for real money out of game in Diablo 2, RMAH just makes it easier and safer.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

No. I gave an example, if you design absolutely statistically equal drop scheme you will get 90% or less. This is fair and has nothing to do with the presence of AH. The alternative system, where you get only the loot suitable for your class (e.g. if you have wizard and barb in a group only wizard items with int and bard items with strength drop), is bullshit and completely trivializes the game.

Deleted
    I can absolutely guarantee that even without AH/RMAH your loot drops would still be random and rely on you farming the same content over and over again. Why? Because that's one of the main ways Blizzard extends the life of their products. Unless the Baron's mount has a guarantee drop on your 100th run of Strat. RNG is RNG. I'm finding in my game when my monk starts feeling a need for a upgrade it doesn't take long for a suitable yellow to drop and I've had no need to go to AH yet and I'm at the start of Act 3 Hell. Luck is luck, even bad luck.

Loot in D2 was often useless too, and you only had to "make do" with what you had, even if it was 10 levels lower. Sometimes you'd find awesome items for your character, others the only Legendary drop you'd get would be an Unique wand when playing a Barbarian. And if the game was too hard? You'd just try to farm bosses in a previous chapter, risk it with the gambler, or -if desperate- contact someone from outside (be that a friend, or some sort of online shop)

Crappy loot and RNG is part of Diablo. The D3 AH is merely a tool that gives you an additional option both to find and to get rid of gear. It's not mandatory by any means - that people feel the urge to min-max their character is a whole different story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardi View Post
    Loot in D2 was often useless too, and you only had to "make do" with what you had, even if it was 10 levels lower. Sometimes you'd find awesome items for your character, others the only Legendary drop you'd get would be an Unique wand when playing a Barbarian. And if the game was too hard? You'd just try to farm bosses in a previous chapter, risk it with the gambler, or -if desperate- contact someone from outside (be that a friend, or some sort of online shop)

Crappy loot and RNG is part of Diablo. The D3 AH is merely a tool that gives you an additional option both to find and to get rid of gear. It's not mandatory by any means - that people feel the urge to min-max their character is a whole different story.
    Oh so the loot was 4 levels below your level in Diablo 2 too?

Deleted
    yes i have noticied this , nothing RNG every rare item i got is going for Monk/Wizzard and i play a Dh :O

Deleted
    That could explain how I get only crossbows, bows and 2 handed axes with strength on my wizard no, seriously I believe it's just RNG

I don't know if there's anything above legendary, but if there isn't I don't see the rmah doing much business at all.

I've had 4 legendary drops, 2 within the first 18 hours, I went straight to the gold ah with them only to find there were over 100 of each already listed...
    Some were various levels, but with nothing being truly 'rare' I can't see anybody paying $$ when gold is extremely easy.

I went to look for 'rares' (yellow) yesterday, without using the search function (just sorting by wizard) and got tired of clicking next after page 36 of legendaries.

So unless they invent something past legendary, it's not going to be the cash cow they had hoped.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

I'm not saying your conspiracy theory isn't possible, I am saying given the nature of RNG and considering you are 1 class of 5 so 80% of gear is automatically useless for you, I wouldn't get your tin foil hats out just yet.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Henkdejager View Post
    yes i have noticied this , nothing RNG every rare item i got is going for Monk/Wizzard and i play a Dh :O
    DH and Monk both use Dexterity..

Quote Originally Posted by Funt Case View Post
    Probaly but no one is forcing anyone to use the RMAH.
    I really dont see how this even concerns anyone, seller is happy he got $$, buyer is happy he got the item and blizzard gets a small bit to help improve the game.
    I can tell you, most of that money isn't going into ''improving'' the game. (Unless it's going into some project to earn more money)

Get mad at people pirating and duping on the first two Diablos. They're one of the many reasons why it's an online-only game now.
    You're not going to stop pirating, one way or another people that want it for free are going to get it for free (Or wouldn't have bought it anyway)
    As for duping, questionable, I honestly don't think Blizzard cares if they wouldn't have implented the RMAH, seeing how if duping would now be in the game they themselves could lose money over it.

I don't know if there's anything above legendary, but if there isn't I don't see the rmah doing much business at all.

I've had 4 legendary drops, 2 within the first 18 hours, I went straight to the gold ah with them only to find there were over 100 of each already listed...
    Some were various levels, but with nothing being truly 'rare' I can't see anybody paying $$ when gold is extremely easy.

I went to look for 'rares' (yellow) yesterday, without using the search function (just sorting by wizard) and got tired of clicking next after page 36 of legendaries.

So unless they invent something past legendary, it's not going to be the cash cow they had hoped.
    Read carefully what I bolded and underlined and I asume we can agree that your conclusion makes no sense?

As for the bolded part: People won't put it on the gold AH, and if they do, they'll put it up for such a price that the gold isn't so easy to get (Right now they might be affordable, but once the RMAH hit and once most people are attempting Inferno/Hardcore the prices will start rising)

As for the bad loot, So far I have noticed indeed that most pieces are useless. Ofcourse RNG is part of the game and I'm not bothered (I refuse to use the AH and am crafting and making do with what I find) but they probally don't even have to rig the RNG factor just to get plenty of money out of it. (Like Thaddeus Griffin above me said)
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2012-05-21 at 11:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, poker is a conspiracy, I almost never get dealt winning hands off the bat.

---------- Post added 2012-05-21 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    They don't need to invent anything. The lazy jackass with too much money who fuels the billion-dollar gold farming industry will want those 2-3mil gold legendaries for 5-10 dollars instead of having to farm 2-3 mil gold.

While making gold in MMO's is incredibly easy for most of us with a brain, there's still a crapton of people who are too dumb or lazy to do it and still want to buy fancy items. Same principle applies to Diablo.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Deleted
    There is also gold auction house and I love that feature.

This is how gearing in D3 works:

A) You get a good drop for yourself. -> Grats.

B) You get a good drop for another class. -> Sell it. -> Buy something for your class. -> Grats.
    (And with the new auction house this only takes seconds.)

C) You don't get any good drops. -> Too bad. Farm more.

D) Too lazy to farm. -> That's entirely on you then.

The real money AH will hopefully esure a mostly cheat and botfree environment. I don't mind Blizzard making money with it.
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2012-05-21 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post
    The real money AH will hopefully esure a mostly cheat and botfree environment. I don't mind Blizzard making money with it.
    Yes, but you seem to forget that any company that makes a profit is the devil reincarnated. If blizzard is making profits, then its quite obvious that they are bending us over a barrel, because NO COMPANY MAKES PROFIT JUST LIKE THAT.

Seriously, if its not a non-profit organization, then they should be burned at the stake. I can't even begin to comprehend what blizzards devious plans are with this RMAH.

TL;DR - Blizzard + Profits = December 21st, 2012
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's Murphy right there; if a loot will drop, it will not be for your class :<
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    Good fight Thrall, oh btw, your wife is pregnant. SURPRISE!!!