Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taygete View Post
    The point is, if a person goes off eating meat, and the closest they get to eating veggies is to have a heaping serving of biscuits and gravy... it just wont end well. Besides the fact that a biscuit is not a vegetable, it's not even a very healthy grain unless you go and make it out of whole wheat flour... which sortof defeats the purpose of eating comfort food if you aren't a fan of the taste of whole wheat. Everything in moderation, but geez...

Vegetable are TASTY. If the only kind you've ever eaten were frozen or from a can, you are missing out on a whole world of flavors that are so much more diverse than the beef/fish/poultry you eat. I always thought it was really funny that people like to ask vegetarians/vegans "wtf do you eat salad all day??" when vegetarians eat a much bigger variety of foods than most meat eaters. I'm long LONG past my vegan days, but I believe that ideally if you are going to eat meat, you do it in moderation AND you introduce yourself to all the other goodies that the vegetarians enjoy on a regular basis.

Expand your horizons.
    It's personal preference I suppose, and economic viability. I workout, alot. Thus my protein intake is higher than the average persons, or at least it should be higher, though most people eat far too much(in general) and frankly thats why he have tons of fat people in america, pun intended. I eat some vegetables obviously, I was being a bit silly with the biscuits and gravy post, but I've tried going vegetarian once or twice and I can honestly say the experience was close to what the op described. And no before you ask I was not malnourished in any sense of the word before or after, it's simply that I have a high metabolism which I've worked hard to develop, and it requires a fairly ridiculous amount of vegetables that contain protein to compensate for what I can get from reasonable amount of meat. Beans for instance are a regular part of my diet, they're cheap, they contain a reasonable amount of protein and fiber, and go with quite alot of other things that I like, eggs beans and whatever meat for breakfast for instance or the obvious burrito type stuff.

In general while most "health" oriented people seem to think that one's health is mostly a function of what you eat, I hate to tell you this folks but pro meat anti meat whatever, you're wrong, period. Your physical activity accounts for nearly 75% of that health, food whatever the food typically only accounts for around 25%. If you took a meat eater and a veggie eater, gave them the same job sitting at a desk all day, but the meat eater hits the gym for an hour each evening before dinner, the meat eater (barring genetic predisposition to some disease or another) will end up healthier. Likewise if you send the veggie eater to the gym in the same fashion the veggie eater will be the healthier of the two. I know this to be the case with men factually, though it may be a bit different for womens bodies as they have a different set of baseline requirements, but overall I'd imagine it holds true with a bit of tweaking there as well.

So again I say, it's preference. I enjoy a good steak, a good burger, or the aforementioned biscuits and gravy, but I also enjoy pushing myself doing resistance exercises, and doing cardio and it balances out just fine.
    Www.facebook.com/magelordx
    Feel free to add me if you wish

Deleted
    Having eaten meat your entire life then trying to go veggie only is hard. It's a habit that is tough to break.
    Other then that, there's no problem with eating veggie foods. And the idea that veggie food can't be great and nutrisious is absolutely ridiculous and based only in ignorance.

I eat just about everything, unless it's things like tuna. Which I refuse to eat due to ecological reasons, tuna almost being fished out.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2012-05-23 at 04:18 PM.