Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Antivirus for new PC

Hey guys,

I have been recently gathering the parts for my first PC and I am curious about what anitvirus I should use or what combinations of antivirus software I should use. The PC has cost me about $3000 all up so seeing it destroyed by a virus or malware wouldn't make me all too pleased.

I have done some research on google and it appears that bitdefender would be the best option that costs money. Where as research through threads on the forums leads me to a mix of free anti viruses, the best apparently being a combination of malwarebytes and microsoft secruity essentials. I don't mind paying for software, neither do I mind using free software.

So what would be the best antivirus for me? Or does it not matter as long as I choose one of the ones most highly recommended on forums such as this?

Thanks,

10+ Year Old Account
    Unlikely that any virus is going to cause any real damage to your machine. Only the data stored on it.

As far as the best one goes, it changes pretty much every week. Best advise really is make sure you have one, and YOU can use it. Having an AntiVirus/Malware program is little use to you if you can't navigate its interface.

If you aren't happy with a free solution like MSE+Malware Bytes, go for one of the bigger ones like Norton or AVG.

Deleted
    Your pc cannot be destroyed by a virus for as far as I know, I see no reason to get an antivirus. You might lose some data, but even that is a very slim chance. The worst that can happpen is that you have to reinstall windows because it won't boot anymore or you have to change some passwords.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know my computer can't be destroyed, I was being overly dramatic as I don't really want to deal with any mess a virus could create, big or small lol.

Deleted
    I would say get a free version of a good anitvirus, will reduce the amount of junk you get with it if you just want something to scan your pc with every once in a while.

Deleted
    I suggest using Security Essentials coupled with MBAM Pro (the heuristics are good) and Window's built in firewall. Has worked smoothly for me thus far. If you want more control over outgoing internet usage, I suggest Comodo Firewall.

I've had no issues with Microsoft Security Essentials and it's free with Windows

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    My favorite AV suite is Comodo Internet Security, and it's also free. It comes with heuristic detection, cloud detection, sandboxing, a stateful firewall, etc.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I second Raykus. I use MSE and MBAM free. I also use Comodo Firewall. I think it's a bit overkill, but what the hell, right?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    MSE for home use. Anything else is overkill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    MSE for home use. Anything else is overkill.
    MSE is not very good at detecting keyloggers, I strongly suggest having MBAM if you use Bnet, Steam, Origin or other similar service that has potentially lots of your money tied into it.

Deleted
    Be a smart enough internet user and you won't come across too much virus and malware anyway.

I use a combination of Avira Anti-virus (which is free) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and even that is just overkill because I rarely, if ever, get hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raykus View Post
    MSE is not very good at detecting keyloggers,
    your info is out-dated. Beta was bad at it - it was more than 3 years ago. Release version was doing fine.

"AV-Test.org conducted a series of trials on the officially released version of the product in which Microsoft Security Essentials detected and caught 98.44 percent of 545,034 computer viruses, computer worms and software Trojan horses as well as 90.95 percent of 14,222 spyware and adware samples. It also detected and eliminated all 25 tested rootkits. Microsoft Security Essentials generated no false-positives at all"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    your info is out-dated. Beta was bad at it - it was more than 3 years ago. Release version was doing fine.

"AV-Test.org conducted a series of trials on the officially released version of the product in which Microsoft Security Essentials detected and caught 98.44 percent of 545,034 computer viruses, computer worms and software Trojan horses as well as 90.95 percent of 14,222 spyware and adware samples. It also detected and eliminated all 25 tested rootkits. Microsoft Security Essentials generated no false-positives at all"
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/co...detection-test

10+ Year Old Account
    93% detection rate against the best 99% and with ZERO false alarms.
    Pretty GOOD for home use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I do remote support all day - it's great work btw! I find of course no matter the security, it's the user that typically keeps the system non-infected. Safe searching, make sure your staying legit - and not going to iwantavirus dot com or something.

ON TOPIC - for free - I agree with posters above big time, Microsoft Security Essentials, and or Comodo (it does take a little getting used to btw, but its SUPER legit, the company does https... so it has to be hahah) - I myself use Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security because it comes with 10 keys (for 10 computers) total for 100 bucks and I give them to my entire family so I can keep up and make sure they are protected!

For a paid version, I personally like Kaspersky Antivirus 2012, or Trend Micro Titanium (norton 360, yes 360, not the crap av, or internet security - works fine if your an old school norton fan).

For Virus and Spyware removal tools-
    --Kaspersky TDSSKILLER
    --Trend Micro Hijackthis
    --Superantispyware Portable
    --Trend Micro Housecall
    --Norton Power Eraser
    Finish up with Ccleaner (go through it fully, temp clean, reg clean, tools clean for unused toolbars, startups, updaters)
    And double finish up with command prompt (elevated - aka running as admin) "cmd" and for the command, type: sfc /scannow
    Reboot, Windows Updates, Adobe Flash Update, Adobe Reader Update, Java Update
    Reboot again
    Make sure your AV is updated and running proper by running a quick scan.

-lance
    dacoolist.com

MSE isn't great at detection, it has slipped from when it first came out. Avira is generally a good balance between protection, false positives, and performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Didn't mean to sound like it was the END ALL protection - I don't even use it on my own computer, I use it on my business machine... because all I do is business on it, nothing else - and it runs very light on your system resources unlike most regular Antivirus Protection programs. Safe searching/surfing/downloading is still the best method of NOT GETTING INFECTED - I call it "COMMON SENSE 2012™"

kakakakakakakak

-lance
    dacoolist.com

I use malwarebytes superantispyware and avast. all free and i am very pleased so far

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    I use malwarebytes superantispyware and avast. all free and i am very pleased so far
    Don't forget Web of Trust!

Shows if Links are bad or good.
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!