Customizable characters

I'm a tad disappointed we're not able to customize our characters looks in D3.
    I mean, if I want to be a male Barbarian I have to play as a 65 year old man? How many 65 year old Barbarians would there be? Enough to make the default style be an elderly man? I'd be afraid of his hip breaking upon a Furious Charge.

In all seriousness though, I was hoping there would be some customization of characters in D3. Think we could possibly see this in the future?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammyspice View Post
    I mean, if I want to be a male Barbarian I have to play as a 65 year old man? How many 65 year old Barbarians would there be? Enough to make the default style be an elderly man? I'd be afraid of his hip breaking upon a Furious Charge.

In all seriousness though, I was hoping there would be some customization of characters in D3. Think we could possibly see this in the future?

Diablo is not your dress up doll simulator, in fact it's not a proper RPG at all, it's a dungeon crawler. You don't like the class's look? roll another class.

Barbarian looks like a 65 year old man because it was going to be the barbarian from Diablo 2 but they changed it because they thought feminists would complain.

Be lucky you even get a female and male version of every class.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is possible since it's 3D not 2D.

Deleted
    I don't mind it at all... as long as my barb will look imba covered with awsomesauce in his new IK set, I'll be a happy panda =)

Edit: couldn't even imagine playing a male wizard, ... maybe cos of D2 but ... male wizard nah doesn't seem right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Diablo is not your dress up doll simulator, in fact it's not a proper RPG at all, it's a dungeon crawler. You don't like the class's look? roll another class.

Barbarian looks like a 65 year old man because it was going to be the barbarian from Diablo 2 but they changed it because they thought feminists would complain.

This argument is just not working though. It is possible to improve diablo III with character cuztomisation blizzard just didn't do it. Please name 1 example were this would not be a benefit to the game.

I'm not saying I want to spend an hour + customizing characters like how you can in Skyrim. It would just be nice to maybe have 5-6 different face/hair style and color options just to mix it up some. We are, after all, staring at these toons for hours at a time, and may as well be able to have some choice as to what we're looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    This argument is just not working though. It is possible to improve diablo III with character cuztomisation blizzard just didn't do it. Please name 1 example were this would not be a benefit to the game.
    Can you show us an example of how character customization would be a benefit to the GAME. [Note: the >GAME<]

Honestly the sheer volume of 'there is no reason not to so we should' arguments coming out is absolutely staggering. I can't see a reason not to have each Diablo 3 copy come with a free coffee machine.

Deleted
    Bashiok specifically stated they wouldn't implement character customization, as the gear hides the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Bashiok specifically stated they wouldn't implement character customization, as the gear hides the characters.
    Fair enough, then.

Np, cant see my barb under all that armor anyways.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    You can however dye your gear... Something I've wanted in WoW since... Oh closed EU beta....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the point in customization when the only time you can see your character is before joining a game? Going to stare at the initial screen rather than play the game all day? If there were multiple points in the game where your character could be seen close up, sure it would be worth it, but that's not the point of Diablo.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Technically, you can see your character if you use the Clear Dyes. However, customization seems unnecessary to me as you can't really see the toon from the camera angle anyway. It's all about hiding your ugly mug under your armor.
    Well you can press Z to get a close view.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Well you can press Z to get a close view.
    Yes, Z is very nice for zooming in on my demon hunter. If you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by razisgosu View Post
    Yes, Z is very nice for zooming in on my demon hunter. If you know what I mean.
    I don't know what you mean...

---------- Post added 2012-05-22 at 11:06 PM ----------

Also, there was never ever any character customization for Diablo. Gear is your customization.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

In blizzards defense, they did double customization since D2 :P (slight sarcasm intended)
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

Look on the bright side.

With this system you can play as a female and not have your sexuality questioned.

jus' sayin.

I am so glad there are male and female versions cus the canon Wiz was a Female and the Male lets me play as Togusa from Ghost in the Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    You're playing as 5 established characters, not your own persona, like in games like ME3 or other RPGs, where who you are and what you look like beyond vanity actually matters. It's not a detriment (though it'd probably pretty considerable for dev time, depending on implementation), but it doesn't help anything besides vanity before you slap a helmet over it and forget what you look like entirely.