Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Meh, 6 or 7 out of 10. Game was great at first but as I'm progressing through higher difficulties, it's meh. Storyline was the most predictable storyline I've ever seen (not that it really matters in a game like Diablo but its cheesy and makes repeating it extremely tedious) and the overall design seems outrageously lazy and rushed. All they did was scale up monsters damage and health a ton whilst ignoring how poorly characters scale leaving a ton of imbalance. Got it for free though with the annual pass so I don't mind but if I had actually bought it I'd probably be a little upset. Sub-par product.
    Last edited by Jaylol; 2012-05-22 at 07:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd give it a solid 7/10. It isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but their decisions on the changes they made I can equate to the changes that Bioware made with Dragon Age 2. You get a certain level of expectation, a certain comfort, and they twist it on you. Some people enjoy it, while others are put out of their comfort zone. I had similar experiences when I tried to jump in World of Warcraft after falling in love with Warcraft RTS. I stopped playing Diablo 3 already, but I'm not ruling out playing it again when I feel more receptive to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

It looks like this game is getting some terrible reviews, everyone is saying it is boring and it only has a 4.1 user score on metacritic. I was going to pick it up tomorrow after my last final but now im having second thoughts, is it really not worth it for someone who has never played diablo before? Should I just go ahead and pick up tera instead?
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

10+ Year Old Account
    considering how long it took to come out I would say it's rather lacking, not enough to do and way too short decent experience overall a 7 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    It looks like this game is getting some terrible reviews, everyone is saying it is boring and it only has a 4.1 user score on metacritic. I was going to pick it up tomorrow after my last final but now im having second thoughts, is it really not worth it for someone who has never played diablo before? Should I just go ahead and pick up tera instead?
    Never tried Tera myself, but no, Diabloe 3 is a waste of $40 as the game only has about 20 bucks of content to it.
    If a shaman tells you that he can't tank, he's just not doing it right.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xombo View Post
    I loved Diablo 2 (snip) The basis of the entire game past ~12 hours is a pure, unneccessary grind.

Something doesn't add up here. You loved diablo 2 which is almost exactly the same.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

OP, you have some valid points (2 & 3)...............and I would understand your issues (1 & 4) IF you were a person that has never experienced a Diablo game before. You yourself said you loved D2. So I am confused with your issues.

1) Diablo II was a grind, so is Diablo III. Diablo II had 5 acts, with 3 difficulties (lets call it 15 "levels" all together). Diablo III has 4 acts, with 4 difficulties (16 "levels"). Max level was 99 in Diablo II, Max level is 60 in Diablo III. I guess my question is, whats the difference?

4) Diablo II has a lot less abilities than Diablo III. On top of that, there is no more spamming health pots which makes you think about having defensive abilities. As a Barb in D2, I remember spending most of my time pressing one button, Whirlwind. I cant do that in D3, and to me, thats a good thing. D3 has a bit more strategy, and is less "mindless". My point here is I am def pressing more buttons, and changing buttons around too.

Deleted
    goddamnit, its diablo. always was and will ever be a grinding based game.
    if you dont like it, dont play it. easy as that

Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    Point 1 and 4 make me doubt that you really played Diablo 2.
    I did, I enjoyed it because Diablo 2 was in a time where simpler games were fun because, well, today's technologies/gameplay ideas weren't there. Games have evolved and gamers demands are higher than they were back then. Sure this sounds greedy, but you can't say it's not the truth. Sure there's a massive amount of fun games on old consoles, but you can'y say that these games would be worth $60 today for their gameplay.

$60 had better get me a damn good game I can spend alot of time on. If it has a short main story/campaign it had better have some fun multiplayer or replay value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Diablo 2 was exactly like this...

It's so that people don't farm the bosses over and over again for good drops.

It's a game full of tons and tons of random drops. People would flood the AH even more than it's flooded now, if they were allowed more than 10 slots. It encourages you to only put up really valuable things, instead of just jamming every Magic you find into the AH.

And in D2, you used 1 or 2 active abilities at most, per class. It's a hack and slash, not WoW.
    I'd give D3 probably a 7/10, but something caught my attention here. Your point seems to be to counteract the OP, presumably to make him see the game is better than he believes, and you're doing that by pointing out how D3 is like a game that was out 12 years ago?

Deleted
    Well...I never played a ARPG properly before this,but I found it quite fun.The combat is fun and the story was pretty good,but a tiny bit of a let down imo.
    All in all I enjoyed it and thought it was worth the money.My only main gripe is that I'm not sure I'll enjoy consistently replaying the campaign,even if it is at harder difficulties.....but that's just me

Awesome game, could have been a bit longer maybe but then again I believe no matter how long the game was people would still complain it's short and complete it in 12 hours.

Either way I'm having fun playing through Hell at the moment.

Having in mind I have to complete Hell and Inferno still + play all again with other 4 classes and then try some PvP in future patch, this seems enough for me for this type of game.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    Tera will certainly keep you entertained longer.

Wait until D3 is in the bargain bin for $20, that's about what the game is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by diphji View Post
    goddamnit, its diablo. always was and will ever be a grinding based game.
    if you dont like it, dont play it. easy as that
    That's eactly what I've done. You don't have to tell me lol. I can guarantee, much like SW:TOR, after a month, this game's playerbase will drop by half.

10+ Year Old Account
    Effectively what alot of you are doing is giving Blizzard licence to be lazy. Oh it's diablo it's okay it doesn't have to evolve or grow it can't be the same game it's always been and Blizzard can slap it together in a weekend with the kids at the pool. IF ANY OTHER DEVELOPER did this you'd be up in arms about it...

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, I am currently enjoying the game, i give it 9/10 on the whole package gameplay, graphics, story, co-op, replayability. I learned a long time ago not too look or read too deep into the minutiae of video games. If you look long enough at anything you'll see flaws. The flaws do not break the game. The ah is there if you want to use it, you don't have to, if your just looking to profit off players that would rather twink it great go for it. The difficulty is there obviously to inspire new ways survive, take it or leave it, I personally enjoy discovering new tactics, and really enjoy when I cannot get past an encounter regardless of my gear, to me thats fun.

final note.
    Game addiction is serious stuff, it derives from a personality type that is inherently susceptible to becoming single minded or tunnel visioned, OCD is linked to this, I do not blame the game for creating it but the game can definitely enable it. Games with a grind should be more so built on discovering new ways to conquer the "packs" not so much what loot will drop from the pack, I personally enjoy blowing shit up and tend to salivate when I see a large back of "tough" mobs, I could care less about gear, when I see an upgrade i equip it but im not all tingley over it.

Very fun with friends, but not the kind of game I enjoy solo. Gets boring so fast when you're hacking and slashing alone. JMO.

I do enjoy the game quite a bit. D3 is for me, excellent. Well made, extremely savvy and shines with a certain prestige unique to both the franchise and Blizzard. For example, when I load the game and click through the menus, it "feels" like I am playing a quintessentially Blizzard game.

"Ah yes. This is Diablo. Made by Blizzard.", runs through my mind a lot when I play.

It's a vibe I only get from first party Nintendo games- "Ah yes. This is Zelda. Made by Nintendo."

That said, I think I had more fun playing Torchlight 2 honestly. Path of Exile has this incredible pull over me where I play sometimes for hours or just 1 map clear & quit. A sort cerebral exercise I ponder on in a kind of removed sense.

In any case, I am quite happy with the return of Diablo and Torchlight while excited for Path of Exile, Grim Dawn and that other one I forgot the name of... ;p

I've tried to play it numerous times since the minute it was released up until yesterday. I've tried most of the classes and I have to say it is the most boring piece of crap I've played in a while. Seriously I thought this genre died years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Xombo View Post
    That's eactly what I've done. You don't have to tell me lol. I can guarantee, much like SW:TOR, after a month, this game's playerbase will drop by half.
    cause a playerbase matters for a singleplayer/coop game amirite?