Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I miss indie pop rock :'(
    80s and 90s thrash metal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Not an indication of that at all. It's an indication that they realized their servers aren't up to snuff and are more than willing to correct that based on player feedback.
    Considering a while back they also got new servers aka Hardware, i beg to differ. There was a behind the scenes article from one of the major gaming sites that did an an interview with some of the staff at Anet, and the new offices in Seattle, and in those pics you can clearly see the shiny black new servers in the new room. Now i know the Beta was not played on those servers, but the fact they are getting more, just means they are expecting high demand and thus would assume more servers = more players = more locations (logically that makes sense to me). Also note that when i say released soon, i mean it is a good sign that not only are they working on the software aka Game, they are also looking at the bigger picture. Hence my optimism, being born in the 70's i don't do pessimistic emo crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Considering a while back they also got new servers aka Hardware, i beg to differ. There was a behind the scenes article from one of the major gaming sites that did an an interview with some of the staff at Anet, and the new offices in Seattle, and in those pics you can clearly see the shiny black new servers in the new room. Now i know the Beta was not played on those servers, but the fact they are getting more, just means they are expecting high demand and thus would assume more servers = more players = more locations (logically that makes sense to me). Also note that when i say released soon, i mean it is a good sign that not only are they working on the software aka Game, they are also looking at the bigger picture. Hence my optimism, being born in the 70's i don't do pessimistic emo crap.
    Also makes sense financially to be optimistic.
    You simply don't make investments in fixed assets unless they will be used soon. The question is just one of capacity: are these servers to deal with BWE demand, or are they for release? Shame we can't see an invoice for the servers haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    the fact they are getting more, just means they are expecting high demand and thus would assume more servers = more players = more locations (logically that makes sense to me)
    i.e. demand higher than expected before the BWE? :P
    I'm pretty sure they've said they were surprised and that their expectations were far surpassed.

It's obvious that the BWEs are being used as true old-school betas to test their capacity to run the game for a large group of people. The servers being upgraded and added to reflect that.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

they dont need anther bwe, they already hoook lined and suckered so many peoplein buying the game. They already have closed beta testers anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm happy to hear that, BWE1 was great bit choppy so hopefully the next one will be smooth as a baby's bum or close (NoPedo)

they dont need anther bwe, they already hoook lined and suckered so many peoplein buying the game. They already have closed beta testers anyways.
    Pretty sure most people were going to buy GW2 anyway who pre-purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by barkong View Post
    There's a lot of data that can either only be gathered from large scale testing (like what led them to work on their server hardware/infrastructure), and large scale testing yields MASSIVE quantities of other types of data that are very valuable for testing. They can get focused feedback and higher quality feedback from small group testing, but these large weekend tests are spectacular for improving how the game runs and working on smoothing out rough spots.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is sad and good news at the same time. Its a relief to know that they've gotten alot of the information they wanted to find in the last BWE and the Stress test.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    80s and 90s thrash metal.
    50's, 60's, and 70's music.

Also smooth jazz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shame we can't see an invoice for the servers haha.
    Now that would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    i.e. demand higher than expected before the BWE? :P
    I'm pretty sure they've said they were surprised and that their expectations were far surpassed.

It's obvious that the BWEs are being used as true old-school betas to test their capacity to run the game for a large group of people. The servers being upgraded and added to reflect that.
    Totally

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    50's, 60's, and 70's music. Also smooth jazz.
    I know, OT - but I thought I was alone in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    50's, 60's, and 70's music.

Also smooth jazz.
    Of this I highly approve.

So...that Arenanet game. I hear there was some announcement?

Deleted
    I miss indie pop rock :'(
    I dont :P I do miss the 90s though. Im such an old fart

Deleted
    I'm about ready for the game to actually go live. It's great that we get to test some stuff before the real game comes out, but unless you desperately want to help the development team by any and all means, there's no real point in playing besides testing out the professions a little. Everything you do in the beta gets deleted anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    I dont :P I do miss the 90s though. Im such an old fart
    I felt so old when Oasis split lol. That's all I know. They pretty mcuh defined my early teenage years lol.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 10:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    I'm about ready for the game to actually go live. It's great that we get to test some stuff before the real game comes out, but unless you desperately want to help the development team by any and all means, there's no real point in playing besides testing out the professions a little. Everything you do in the beta gets deleted anyway.
    How about that u help to improve the game? Like....with a beta test?

Deleted
    I felt so old when Oasis split lol. That's all I know. They pretty mcuh defined my early teenage years lol.
    always hated oasis yes I was a musical snob back then too

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    always hated oasis yes I was a musical snob back then too
    Because they were a beatles clone?
    If it helps I also liked blur.......?

Deleted
    yeah blur were ok :P I still listen to some of their songs.

and beatles clone is giving them too much credit really

Deleted
    Can't say I am to unhappy that the next BE is not this weekend. I will spend the long weekend at my boyfriend's and I would rather not spend all that time in front of a computer ;-)
    An I like how they explained why they need to delay it, that way you can hardly curse them for it ("Oh damn, I wanted to play now on crappy hardware and with login issues and lag!!).

Quote Originally Posted by barkong View Post
    Like some people explained before: Large scale testing is necessary to fix technical issues (concerning servers, but also to have really big amount of different hardware setups to find special bugs with those). And I imagine WvW testing or massive event scaling work better with more people (even if I don't know how many internal testers they have.)