Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Whats the point in opening loads of new servers if they aren't needed a week later ?
    this guy gets it.. why would any company shell out for servers that become unused a few days after release, your better off frustrating the masses for 1-7 days than spending millions on unused hardware.. of course this launch being bad waas expected.. if you didnt expect it you'd have to have been living under a rock for 10 years... if it annoyed you that much everyone had the option of choosing not to deal with it and waiting a day or two to try and play!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Whats the point in opening loads of new servers if they aren't needed a week later ?
    If you had read my post the point was the hideous online DRM, the root of all problems. Without the hideous online DRM there wouldn't be any of the server issues and they wouldn't have to spend the money. And as kojinshugi replied to you, the point is having your paying customers to be able to use the product they used.

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    The point is having your paying customers be able to use the product they purchased?
    Which they could a few hours into the launch. I was able to log in at 1am, which was 30 minutes sooner than I had expected. We've known for 4 years that the game would be online-only. People have had time to investigate what that means for them. Including the fact that all Blizzard games aren't available for a few hours right after the launch.

Deleted
    So they got like 400 million euros the first week after release and they still cant buy equipment that handles the traffic better.

Nice...

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. Maybe this will breathe some new life into the franchise and we won't have to wait until 2024 for D4.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Guess that's why my server is dead hahaha.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account

This is an IT Rule on these days, and this is how business works on these days. And hey works perfectly, everybody is playing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Which they could a few hours into the launch. I was able to log in at 1am, which was 30 minutes sooner than I had expected. We've known for 4 years that the game would be online-only. People have had time to investigate what that means for them. Including the fact that all Blizzard games aren't available for a few hours right after the launch.
    Pretty sure I played Diablo 1, 2, Warcraft 1-3 lost vikings just fine out of the gate. I agree that a small hiccup at the launch of Diablo 3 is being blown out of proportion, and agree it was only a day, and get over it.

I would be more concern if something ever happens to all them servers. Activitsion and Blizzard hasn't done this yet, but EA has pulled the plug on the online features of a few games. I dont think Bliz would do it, but if they ever pull the plug on the game server side I am sure that will go much worse with the fan base. (people would defend why Bliz did it though as well)

Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    The point is having your paying customers be able to use the product they purchased?
    Cry more is all I have to say.

Oh no you can't play the game for 2 hours.............

Does it really matter when you can play it anytime after those 2 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Dude I still paid money for this shit and not unstable servers. Blizzard knew that almost 2 millions were only from AP users. Now take in mind how many others. Even blizzard isn't that stupid and would come up that around 3-5 million would be buying the game. Create better and bigger servers is all I can say. It's always blizzards fault, there's no way behind it. So just because I have 20 different orders on pizza delivery in that hour I'm excused to be late on a few of them? Just because there was much to do? The customer gives a whopidy fawk about that, he ordered and wants it within the time range. Again, blizzards fault, I don't think sorry for them in no way. They really screwd up at launch, pathetic after being live for plenty years in a row.

i will weigh in here with a bit of business marketing and economics; i hope u follow me.

Following your example of the pizza delivery

Lets say you are the owner of a restaurant; one which you have promoted widely througout your town; you know that many many ppl will come to your restaurant on openning day. But you cant base your sells over 1 year on the fact that maybe on the first week there will be a lot of ppl.
    Lets say you make the mistake of basing your sells over a year on the fact that you think 500 ppl will come on the first day.
    Then you make the restaurant really big with 150 tables or more; a gigantic kitchen; many employees; and kilos over kilos of ingredients. Many of these ingredients you buy not for that week but at least for a month; so you have a big big stock and you are prepared!!!
    First week you are selling like nuts but then the hype is over and the next month not close to 500 pl will come to your restaurant per day; just about 100 maybe a bit more. Then you are left with 75% of space which you are not using; a gigantic kitchen with a brutal electrical bill that is not paying itself; and ingredients that will go to waste because they are not beeing eaten.
    It is not that your restaurant fails; its that ur numbers failed; maybe if u had made a place for only 150 ppl you would see the restaurant almost 60% 70% full all the time. Then at the end of the month you would say ah perfect everything is going as planned.
    It goes to say you cannot base your consumer base over the hype of 1 month. It is not how economics / marketing / investment works.
    and yes if there is for example and sport event that no one will want to loose try and call delivery pizza 10 minutes before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by slammer619 View Post
    Pretty sure I played Diablo 1, 2, Warcraft 1-3 lost vikings just fine out of the gate. I agree that a small hiccup at the launch of Diablo 3 is being blown out of proportion, and agree it was only a day, and get over it.

I would be more concern if something ever happens to all them servers. Activitsion and Blizzard hasn't done this yet, but EA has pulled the plug on the online features of a few games. I dont think Bliz would do it, but if they ever pull the plug on the game server side I am sure that will go much worse with the fan base. (people would defend why Bliz did it though as well)
    Please allow me to show you to this thread here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Diablo-2-quot

It's funny to see the internet hasn't changed the past 12 years.

To be honest, I'm not sure if Blizzard has pulled the plug on the servers for any of their games yet. Even the ones from almost 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Small wonder that we also see the same cyclic threads in the WoW forum. Still kicking myself that I didn't bookmark the one where people raged at the launch of TBC at it being utter shite and Classic so much better.
    That would have been awesome to pull out today.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 12:16 PM ----------

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...r-says-analyst

LOL!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    D3 will have over 10 million players once the Xmass season starts/end this year.

Bookmark this thread so we can visit it later in the year.

Well I bookmarked it and: you were correct, sir! It has happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't necessary to necro this. A PM would have sufficed