Poll: Which do you prefer?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    You have a lot less control over what you hear in mumble compared to Vent. Yes i agree it's better quality, but say if someone is too quiet or loud etc, for the life of me i can't find any individual volume settings etc for them like i can in vent.

used all three, 1yr of TS, 2+yrs of Vent and now almost 6months of Mumble and I can honestly say that mumble is better, albeit by a small margin.

Mumble > Vent > TS, from my PoV.

My only pet peeve with Mumble, as an admin, is that I can't move users from one channel to another, which was easily possible with Vent. (never was admin during my TS year). I personally also found User Rights management a lot more intuitive with Vent compared to the Mumble version.

From a monetary PoV: Mumble is 9 times out of 10 cheaper than TS or Vent for the same # of users.

I know both Vent and Mumble have decent Android clients, so both are usable on the go via ur smartphone. (I presume TS has one too, but have never tried to look for it).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifande View Post
    used all three, 1yr of TS, 2+yrs of Vent and now almost 6months of Mumble and I can honestly say that mumble is better, albeit by a small margin.

My only pet peeve with Mumble, as an admin, is that I can't move users from one channel to another, which was easily possible with Vent. (never was admin during my TS year). I personally also found User Rights management a lot more intuitive with Vent compared to the Mumble version.

From a monetary PoV: Mumble is 9 times out of 10 cheaper than TS or Vent for the same # of users.

I know both Vent and Mumble have decent Android clients, so both are usable on the go via ur smartphone. (I presume TS has one too, but have never tried to look for it).
    Hmm im admin over my mumble channel and i can move people as much as i want, i bet the problem is you dont have the access to move people around

Quote Originally Posted by Trifande View Post

Mumble is cheaper because it is new and is trying to get people to use it I would presume.

I have always used Vent. Knew a couple people that had free TS servers, or at least free to them cause they knew someone who let them use it. Vent is far superior IMO to TS. In one game I played, our TS server got "hacked" and we were constantly getting harassed by some guy. Was near immpossible to get rid of him for the admins, and I had no idea how to help. Never had this happen on Vent. Vent also seems more user friendly as far as initial setup goes. I've only recently heard of Mumble and not known anyone that uses it yet, so have no opinion on it. I also have no reason to want to try it as Vent gets the job done.

For those saying server crashed or latency issues with one or the other, all this depends on is who is hosting the server, not the software itself, so really not a valid argument.

After using Mumble for any significant amount of time it makes it almost unbearable to go back to Vent/TS. Mumble's sound quality is just far superior to the others. However, the main reason every guild should use Mumble over the others is because there's almost no delay. You can call out boss mechanics as soon as they happen and everyone hears them sooner on Mumble than the other two, which is incredibly helpful. Also, I couldn't stand the fact that people constantly talked over each other in Vent/TS because of the delay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    Use ventrillo for years but swapped to teamspeak because someone had a free server for my guild.
    Used mumble once, the sound quality is definatly better than TS or VT. I believe VT is so popular due to its low CPU/memory usage.
    This one caught my attention. Could you elaborate on the cpu/memory usage please?

I often hear people talking about, how the settings for Mumble is a lot harder to figure out than for Vent (haven't heard anything about TS and have never been admin on TS). The version I use of Mumble right now is a trial version and I assume that's why, I can't make any sub channels.

I checked the prices and Mumble is indeed much cheaper and you even get more slots, so on that note Mumble would be the better choice. But seeing that people actually don't have issues with Mumble crashing, it seems like Mumble is going to be the choice. Then there's "just" the whole settings stuff I need to sort I guess.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 02:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    Try clicking on "Thread Tools". If I don't remember wrong.
    Cheers 10 chars

We use mumble, and will always pick mumble above the other 2. Mumble is reasonable with the CPU/Memory usage, but the sound quality is just awesome compared to the other 2. Also the delay is barely noticeable.

Also, Mumble (And its server, Murmur is free software). So if you have a geek in your guild with a decent upload and a server, he should be able to properly host a server for you without too much hassle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahsoka View Post
    We use mumble, and will always pick mumble above the other 2. Mumble is reasonable with the CPU/Memory usage, but the sound quality is just awesome compared to the other 2. Also the delay is barely noticeable.

Also, Mumble (And its server, Murmur is free software). So if you have a geek in your guild with a decent upload and a server, he should be able to properly host a server for you without too much hassle.
    This sounds interesting, seeing that we have quite a few geeks in the guild. And though it isn't much I pay for Vent per month, it's still money that I could chose to spend on an add free website.

Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    This sounds interesting, seeing that we have quite a few geeks in the guild. And though it isn't much I pay for Vent per month, it's still money that I could chose to spend on an add free website.
    Actually, that same geek should be able to host your website on the same machine as the mumble server ;-).

Deleted
    Now that would be rather cool tbh. Since I'm the one paying for things and don't really feel like paying more than I already do, this would be a really nice change.

I use mainly vent, but only because most guilds/pugs/etc. use it. Used TS for things pre-WoW and it was okay in my opinion. Main guild I'm in uses mumble. I was annoyed at trying to figure out how to install it, but after I did, it crashed three times before finally working right. Sound and latency quality? I don't notice a difference in any of them.

I know this isn't an option, but I like using the WoW in game voice chat feature when other people bother to use it. Less resources than all the above because it's already built into the resources wow uses, only crashes when wow does and (imo) sounds no different than the others with latency only (apparently) equal to what WoW itself experiences.

I've been in alot of different guilds all from casual to really hard-core(for a few weeks before my friend who had made me join the guild decided to ditch the guild <.< and me)
    for all i know, all the guilds used diffrent voice to chat systems.
    i honestly pref ventrilo, because it was really easy to set up and well don't my pc don't take such a hit as it did from mumble/teamspeak for some reason. i think Ventrilo is alot easier at least from user end to understand than tamspeak/mumble

Never tried Mumble (so I won't vote), but TS > Vent for me. Ventrillo's sound makes everyone sound different for everyone I know who uses it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used ventrilo for so long, I cant even remebers, but Mumble is just as fine
    “We all know interspecies romance is weird.”
    ― Tim Burton

10+ Year Old Account
    Mumble is objectively the highest quality for sound.

I still use Ventrilo because that is what is most prevalent on the servers I play on. Since Vent is still good software, I find consistency is nicer than a little bit higher sound quality - although it would be different if Vent sucked.

I haven't used Teamspeak since Karazhan.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    We've tried all 3 of them, and we found Mumble to have the best latency and is generally just much easier for us. We really like it and the only reason I want Vent is for the ding when people join :P

Our guild switched to Mumble at the start of Cataclysm and while I didn't like it at first it really grew on me. It does take a bit longer to setup than vent but the latency is much better and that makes a difference in raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Started on TS, upgraded to vent.

When SWToR came out the person who owns my server wanted to expand it so he got a large mumble.

With the unruly bunch of people I play with and the constant new people in the channels, Mumble's over lay is very nice for calling out specific people to stop talking. The message board is very nice for linking web pages and other things that people are copying and pasting. The Low latency is very nice and it helps to alleviate the awkward times when two people start talking at the same time but neither hear each other for a second or two. We have had afew issues with people not being able to understand the access tokens or their computer doesn't let them, but that's it.

Overall I like mumble, but if I had to go back to Vent I would have no problem

Deleted
    personally i prefer mumble.

not that the other 2 are bad.

Many bad opinions on TS are from time of TS2 (TBC era of WoW) when it has usual 2 second latency and really low quality codecs for sound, thats all.