Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Halo Wars was so fucking goo... hahaha just kidding, i love the total war series
    I thought Dragon Age 2 was innovative and groundbreaking!
    lol >.>

in no particular order warcraft 1-3 plus expansions loved them all warcraft 2 will always have special memories for me. Same goes for the original red alert. age of empires 2, Age of mytholgy. An old nintendo game but i forget its name it was a one of a kin and rare i only knew one person that ever had it and there dad had bought if for them somewhere out of the area it may have not been released in the US if my memory serves me correctly wish i could remember the name

Total War (particularly Medieval 2) I'd say has the best RTSs. That said I have found myself sinking an ungodly amount of time into the non-standard RTS Anno 2070.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Command & Conquer & Covert Ops, WarCraft II, Total Annihilation, Homeworld, StarCraft, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Rise of Nations. I enjoyed the WC3/TFT story, but I was not a fan of the gameplay. Not really an RTS in the normal sense, it is realtime and strategy, but more of a puzzle, I loved Commandos and Beyond the Call of Duty.

Does Civilization count?

Probably my favorites are Total Annihilation and the Myth series.

Deleted
    What category does the Total War series of games fall in? You don't build units on the battlemap, you build them in the campaign(for thoose of you who haven't played it, it's abit like HeroesofMM), the combat is not "fast" but does require strategical thinking(if you loose a unit, it's lost forever, there's no reinforcements coming in). Also in Shogun2 multiplayer, if your units gain enough XP you can upgrade them and give them skills, but make them cost more gold - not as advanced as DoW2 where you can give your heroes items etc, but there's still unit customization in there.

I haven't played a huge amount of RTS games but I would have to say Civilization III and Rise of Nations!

Age of Empires 2, Age of Empires 3, Age of Mythology, Age of Mythology: Titans, Warcraft 3, The Frozen Throne, Starcraft 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Total Annihilation, only one worth mentioning. I refuse to play it just because when I do 10-20 hours magically disappear.

Deleted
    1# Warcraft 2
    2# Dune 2

Don't need to play anything else as it's just a clone or unrefined crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sins of a Solar Empire I would rate as the best rts of the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by Kazrs View Post
    What category does the Total War series of games fall in? You don't build units on the battlemap, you build them in the campaign(for thoose of you who haven't played it, it's abit like HeroesofMM), the combat is not "fast" but does require strategical thinking(if you loose a unit, it's lost forever, there's no reinforcements coming in). Also in Shogun2 multiplayer, if your units gain enough XP you can upgrade them and give them skills, but make them cost more gold - not as advanced as DoW2 where you can give your heroes items etc, but there's still unit customization in there.
    Total War is mixed strategy. The campaign is turn based but the combat is easily the most realistic strategy combat I've personally played. It's my prefered method giving how terrible I am at micro that dominates most of the popular RTS titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Total War is mixed strategy. The campaign is turn based but the combat is easily the most realistic strategy combat I've personally played. It's my prefered method giving how terrible I am at micro that dominates most of the popular RTS titles.
    I could never get into it :/
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Deleted
    Anyone tried cossacks? It falls into the 'deep' category, and bases end up covering the whole map, and walls/sieging is very important.

I tend not to like the speed ones, i'm just not good enough at micro to really enjoy them.

and civ isnt in real time I much prefer turn based myself as it suits my slow playstyle

10+ Year Old Account
    Company of Heroes and the early Settlers series (mainly #3) are my favourites, really looking forward to CoH2. Medieval 2 Total War and Civ4/5 have taken quite alot of hours from my life too.

Mount & Blade series, if it counts, would have to be in my top 5 also.
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2012-05-25 at 08:18 PM.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Company of Heroes and the early Settlers series (mainly #3) are my favourites, really looking forward to CoH2. Medieval 2 Total War and Civ4/5 have taken quite alot of hours from my life too.

Mount & Blade series, if it counts, would have to be in my top 5 also.
    Yeah my friend says settlers 2 is the best rts he had played, but I couldnt get it working on w7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Total Annihilation is my favorite RTS. Some others worth mentioning are C&C Generals, Rise of Nations, and WC3.
    God TA was such a good game. Theirs a couple of titles that fell under the radar I think but were really enjoyable imo

1. Total Annihilation
    2. Total Annihilation Kingdoms
    3. Metal Fatigue
    4. Homeworld (series)
    5. Star control 1
    6. Master of Orion 2 Battle at Antares
    7. Halo RTS
    THe last one is probably a bit controversial but I really enjoyed it. It had some balance issues but I enjoyed it overall. Sucks about ensemble, I think they could have grown that game a bit more if the AXE didn't fall..

Edit: I keep adding more to. I played alot of Strategy games. Add Xcom to that series, as well as Jagged Alliance and Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-05-26 at 08:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love all the Total War games, Especialy Rome.
    AoE 2 was one of my fav games didnt care much for the newer ones to.

Deleted
    Definitely the Total War games. Particularly Napoleon & Fall of the Samurai. Love the vs. multiplayer battles!

I really enjoyed Sins of a Solar Empire a few years back.

Also got a lot of enjoyment out of the Command & Conquer games when I was younger. Tiberian Sun is the one I'm most nostalgic about.