DPS as a Barbarian

has anyone else tried to test damage out to see what is the better dps with a 2her?

At the moment I am using bash with the rune to increase rage generation, and Hammer of the Ancients with the rune to limit area and increase the damage. Im critting for about 16k with bash and 25-31k with HoA.

I heard someone say that once I get the frenzy rune to increase all damage done while frenzy is active that it is hands down best to use frenzy and hoa while still maintaining the frenzy buff. It sounds interesting but a lot of times on boss fights we have to run around and avoid stuff, so I don't really see that being viable. Does anyone have any experience with this that may help me out?

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    First saying your level/crit%/critdmg would help bit
    I've been using Frenzy with Triumph rune succesfully up inferno hell I'm even using brute force tactic lol)
    I use Frenzy/Triumph, Ancient Spear/Dread Spear, Ignore Pain/Ignorance is a Bliss, HoA/Smash, Battle Rage/Marauder's rage and Berserker/Insanity
    I also run crit build so as passive I get Ruthless, Weapon Master ( use axe of mace ) and superstition for dmg reduction and some rage.
    Poping Ignore pain make you almost invulnerable for 5 seconds and with Bersek bosses go down pretty quickly.
    And for Rare/Elites kite for Ignore pain CD, try to grab one hit it and pop igno when the rest come.

pretty much the same that I do, except I use revenge / vengeance is mine instead of ancient spear (great for aoe packs) and use bloodthirst instead of superstition.

I just don't know if i should frenzy/triumph, or bash/punish, or bash/instigation

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well trying out could only earn you a couple of death :P
    And I still don't know what dofficulty you're playing on

well i just started hell mode, and none of that matters because I HAVE to have a shield in order to have any chance to survive.

I've run 2 hander solo and just beat Ghom on Inferno. I have no fury spender except EQ and WoTB. Get fury stacks going (use Sidearm), WoTB, groundstomp then EQ and very few elite packs can survive.

As for white trash it's still pretty easy once frenzy is going using ignore pain and ground stomp you can deal with them. For progress I use Superstition, Nerves of Steel and Ruthless. I sit at 245% crit damage, 29% crit and 29k dps atm with 960 dps wep. Them massive crits quickly eliminate adds.

It's definitely viable in Inferno but you do have to play careful and you will die many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Corayo View Post
    well i just started hell mode, and none of that matters because I HAVE to have a shield in order to have any chance to survive.
    I'm on act II hell with a 2 handed axe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    I'm on act II hell with a 2 handed axe.
    Yup, currently breezing through hell as well with a 2 hander.

does help that it's a level 57 weapon with 462 dps that had -9 level req.

when I got to azmodan on NM i had just dinged 48 (so I could swap to it) he litterally died in 7 seconds (needed enough fury for wrath of the berserker)

So far in my experience, 2H is just not worth it. The increase in damage is just not really there from what I have seen. If I can find a 1H that has just as much or close to the same damage as a 2H, and hits faster, and allows me to equip a shield why would I want a 2H? I mean, I guess if the base damage is higher it will make my specials like earthquake hit much harder, but I can't hit things if I am dead, and having a shield with Str on it somewhat offsets that and adds block+armor.

I did 2hander for normal, then 2nd half of nightmare i switched to 1h + shield, then about halfway through act 1 hell I changed spec and switched back to a 2hander... but then by halfway through Hell act 4 I needed to switch back to a 1h and shield again (but the same spec). I just started Inferno act 1, killed the skele king with 5 stacks of valour too, so far so good, though previous difficulties didnt get harder until after the skele king.

Frenzy - Smite - Stun
    Revenge - Provocation - 30% proc chance
    Leap - Iron Impact - 300% armor 4sec
    War Cry - Impunity - 50% more resist all
    Battle Rage - Mauraders Rage - 30% damage
    Wrath of the Berserker - Insanity - 100% bonus damage.

Then passives are Ruthless, Weapon master and Berserker rage. The build is based around always keeping my fury at 100, keeping my damage stacked sky high. I could get another 20% from changing my Frenzy rune, but the 1.5s stun is too valuable in general play.

To put it into perspective my damage was around 11k in combat at lvl 55 (using a 349 dps rare polearm), keeping the fury at maximum is very easy once its up there, even got the achievement for keeping it max for 5mins, soon after I changed to the spec.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-05-25 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntwat View Post
    Yup, currently breezing through hell as well with a 2 hander.

does help that it's a level 57 weapon with 462 dps that had -9 level req.

when I got to azmodan on NM i had just dinged 48 (so I could swap to it) he litterally died in 7 seconds (needed enough fury for wrath of the berserker)
    hahaha somewhat like what I'm doing. I get WotB with earthquake for harder packs/champions/elites etc, they simply fall dead in less than 6 seconds :P

I gave up on my barb. Every 2 mins if i get lucky and pop berserker with insanity then earthquake i can get a kill on elites ... maybe. Rerolled mage and steamroll inferno with 2 hunter friends.

Blizz needs to buff melee, not nerf inferno.