Confused on Wizard stats.

So when going for stats, is basically trying to find anything with attack speed what I should be going for?

Because between 1h/offhand vs a staff I found the 1h combo has 12% attack speed, +84int and between 40 - 81dmg and the only attribute the staff has is 13% attack speed and it's showing a difference of 530dmg in favor of the staff.

I can tell I'm no theorycrafter, but I'm just plain confused, haha.

Any light on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not 100% as I've played somewhat sparingly so far, but it seems that Weapon Damage/+damage outstrips your classes main stat, Strength/Intellect/Dexterity etc.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

DPS on the weapon is probably the most important stat for all classes in terms of improving your damage. There's a huge spread of DPS between items of the same level so take that into consideration. When I search for weapons on the AH, I always sort by DPS now.

Ok that makes sense, I would've never come to that conclusion myself.
    Thanks
    <3

int is actually about the 3rd best stat after weapon dps and attack speed. I just checked couple rings and 12% attack speed outweights 96 int by a LOT. i really dont like how they changed it to be relying on weapon DPS for wizards, but gotta deal with it.

Deleted
    why does a wizard want attack speed? i could understand if it was for a bard/monk/demon hunter, but arcane power regenerates on its own, unlike the resources for said previous classes

10+ Year Old Account
    Faster AS means you get more regen from spamming your primary abilities, thus more attacks and more PEWPEW.

Deleted
    but that is the point, wizards dont regen arcane power from primary abilities

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your setup, all of them have a rune to give you AP, as well as the passive that does it.

Keep in mind the damage number is very general. The game does not know what skills you're using or how you're using them.

I don't know about Wizards, but here's an example for Witch Doctors. If you're running a Vision Quest build spamming Dire Bears, then attack speed would definitely be a great stat and it directly increases your DPS. However, if you're running a kite or dot build where you're not spending a lot of time spamming one skill as fast as possible, then attack speed will make your paper doll damage number go up, but you're not necessarily going to see the benefit in gameplay. In fact, with a dot or kite build, you would probably do better going for hard hitting weapons with a slower speed.

Just keep in mind the damage number is a good general reflection of your DPS, but is not always completely accurate depending on how you play your character.