Thread: Why Sargeras?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i think it would be pretty nice if actually titans turn to be the evil part of the story and we have to defeat then

Quote Originally Posted by ghostnet View Post
    Sargeras is the main villain, if it wasn't for him, there would be no Burning legion.
    But everyone knows that the Old Gods are behind everything. So technically, they're the main villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    There were undead in Classic. Anyone who knows anything about WoW lore knows that the undead were controlled by the Lich King, who was also Arthas (It's debatable whether it was all arthas, all LK, or a mix). He didn't need to be mentioned for many many people to know he was there.
    No, that's just not true at all. Arthas/Lich King is only every referred to as the Lich King prior to WotLK's release(and then only twice, that I can recall. Once as a disembodied voice in Naxxramas and once during the quest text after you turn in Kel'thuzad's phylactery. I think maybe once during the Aetish quest, but I never had a caster so I never did that). There is not one mention of the name Arthas anywhere in WoW prior to WotLK. Anyone who didn't play WC3 - a huge portion of the playerbase - had no idea who Arthas was.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 11:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    But everyone knows that the Old Gods are behind everything. So technically, they're the main villains.
    The Old Gods weren't behind Sargeras' corruption. He just went insane from seeing and dealing with the worst, most evil things in the universe - the Burning Legion - on a daily basis. It's kind of like an extreme case of PTSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Quincey View Post
    He accepts our hatred because he's the hero Azeroth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Titan.
    Nice Batman reference, but I can't really see Sargeras being a vigilante using the methods others legitimatly can't. He wants to destroy everything that doesnt kneel before him.

I'm sorry but if/when we kill Sargeras, it should mark the end of Warcraft for at least this generation of characters (Thrall, Rexxar, Malfurion etc). Sargeras is the very embodiment of evil in Warcraft. Every major villain/event we have faced, traces it's roots back to him in one way or the other (Lich king, Illidan, Old Gods, Curse of Flesh, Orc Invasion, Dranei, Fel corruption, Sundering etc). After we kill Sargeras, the heroes of Azeroth deserve peace for at least a few centuries.

MMMMM pretty sure the last time Sargeras tried to Enter Azeroth it asploded and gave us all the continents, not to mention he has a never ending army in the burning Legion, KJ wasnt killed just sent back to the Nether which happened to Sargeras, so he is kinda just waiting and i believe Blizzard or atleast Christ Metzen said that if you had to put a face on the true villain of Azeroth it is Sargeras.

But no worries my master shall return and you will all see, yes, yes, you will ALL see!
    I Serve Only Sargeras.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Mr.Sargeras comes the world will end so...

Because he is the "Big bad" of Warcraft, the leader of the most feared army and a former Titan which shows his power. I'm pretty sure he could roflstomp the Old Gods with ease and his only threat (as of right now unless Blizzard make up new lore) would be the rest of the Titans which combined, would certainly be more powerful than him. What exactly could the Old Gods do against Sargeras? their main power is corruption so they get minions to do their work for them, it works to a degree, but do you think someone like Deathwing would stand a chance against Sargeras? that's like putting Muhammed Ali against a child in a boxing match.
    I honestly think the Old God's power is extremely overrated because of Rhonin's speculation, I believe he said "If the Old Gods were set free then even Sargeras would plead for the peace of death" I'd like to see how they'd do that against the Champion of the Pantheon (the force which imprisoned them in the first place with relative ease) who has apparently grown in power since finding the "dark side".

To answer the original question though, after Sargeras who is left? they'd have to make new lore or leverage the Old Gods to the primary role of the antagonists since "they corrupted him" isn't exactly a scary feat. Although between Sargeras and the Old Gods, details on both are the vaguest of the vague so you never know, maybe there is much more interesting stuff to reveal which will change mine and other people's perspectives completely.

Sargeras is the ultimate evil and the cause of the majority of the problems for players. Sargeras is the creator of the burning legion and the main evil in the universe of warcraft. Hence, the final villan.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    well he's the most powerful person in wow afaik so it only makes sense he would be the last boss we defeat?

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    Like the old gods race, after your first ecounter with titans they tell us that the old gods chained on azeroth are just kids, they were left on the planet to absorb it's energy and grown up and that the adults are basically on par with the titans race
    No, they don't. This is completely incorrect. Just because they are not the oldest of their race does not make them 'kids', nor does it give us any reference to how powerful they would be in comparison to other Old Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    the demons that sargeras used are abasically all the races created by the titans all around the universe and then corrupted by the old gods.
    Completely untrue, with absolutely no basis.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    No, they're not. The Old Gods are a race of beings that manipulate whatever planets they happen to have been attached to, seemingly of their own accord and seemingly with little interaction between Old Gods of other planets.

The Burning Legion is a unified force that spans countless worlds.

The Legion and the Old Gods are unrelated forces and, seemingly, enemies. Of the two, the Burning Legion appears to be considered a greater threat by pretty much everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfist View Post
    No, they don't. This is completely incorrect. Just because they are not the oldest of their race does not make them 'kids', nor does it give us any reference to how powerful they would be in comparison to other Old Gods.

Completely untrue, with absolutely no basis.

No, they're not. The Old Gods are a race of beings that manipulate whatever planets they happen to have been attached to, seemingly of their own accord and seemingly with little interaction between Old Gods of other planets.

The Burning Legion is a unified force that spans countless worlds.

The Legion and the Old Gods are unrelated forces and, seemingly, enemies. Of the two, the Burning Legion appears to be considered a greater threat by pretty much everyone.
    right now it is untrue, but by the time we come to fight sargeras, blizzard can retcon the whole thing and make it true; i was just showing you that if blizz want they can make a big bad enemies even after sargeras.

Because Sargeras is basically the Satan of WoW.

He is the true evil villain in it all

This may sound familiar -CoughCough- (Deathwing) But Sargeras basically hates every single person and being alive and plans to kill us all. - Horde, Alliance, Dragon-Aspects etc and the list goes on.
    Last edited by Lynara; 2012-05-26 at 10:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can continue the story for years after we fight Sargeras. My only wish is that if we do end up killing him, that he does something to tries to redeem himself in some way.

Plus lore wise, The Lich King (Bolvar) should be coming out of his slumber very soon. I think its about 5 years or so, for Ner'Zhul to fully integrate with his new host and get his powers back (just going off the case with Arthas). But Bolvar, being the powerful Pally he is, will probably bring something pretty cool to the table with his new powers. And who knows...we might see some of Bolvar's Scourge, fighting off the Burning Legion with us this time.
    Last edited by Synros; 2012-05-26 at 10:57 AM.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Sargeras is not simply one of the biggest villains in Warcraft, he's the biggest. He leads a faction that's pretty much responsible for every bad thing in the game(exluding Old Gods and their machinations). Facing him would be facing the ultimate evil. Once that's done with, what would we have left to anticipate for? Any major villain after that would be like experiencing The Hobbit after LOTR.

Unless Blizz makes the Pantheon itself want Azeroth's destruction. That would be even bigger than Sargeras. And I suppose they could pull an ULTIMATE OLD GOD from their arse if they can't think of anything else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Sargeras is not simply one of the biggest villains in Warcraft, he's the biggest. He leads a faction that's pretty much responsible for every bad thing in the game(exluding Old Gods and their machinations). Facing him would be facing the ultimate evil. Once that's done with, what would we have left to anticipate for? Any major villain after that would be like experiencing The Hobbit after LOTR.

Unless Blizz makes the Pantheon itself want Azeroth's destruction. That would be even bigger than Sargeras. And I suppose they could pull an ULTIMATE OLD GOD from their arse if they can't think of anything else.
    Technically speaking the pantheon do want the destruction of azeroth since it doesn´t match their vision of how the world is supposed to be - as we know from Ulduar. So if they came back they would first of all try to redo the "mistakes" made here.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    Technically speaking the pantheon do want the destruction of azeroth since it doesn´t match their vision of how the world is supposed to be - as we know from Ulduar. So if they came back they would first of all try to redo the "mistakes" made here.
    I sincerely doubt that if we'd already defeated the Burning Legion - especially since I'm almost certain we'll be working with the Pantheon in some way or another.

Though, it could make for an interesting expansion if we had to fight them first to prove our worth or something.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    How? He is just Malfurion, but with fire and a sword. Only people who go in-depth with lore know him, nearly noone refers to him in-game, just like with Deathwing, and many people just thought he was some random dragon at Cataclysm's announcement. If we're talking iconic then it's Illidan and Arthas, which ofcourse both are dead now.

Personally I find the Old Gods' manipulative nature much more iconic and special than the Demons' ''hurr hurr smash dem all!'', even if the 'Old God made them all insane' scenario is overdone as fuck.

But yeah, people assume and assume, WoW will end whenever Blizzard decides it should, and the end sure isn't in sight at all, the battle against Sargeras is coming closer and closer though. The lore has no effect on the cash that they make, no filthy Red Malfurion is gonna stop them from making money.
    I really don't think that's true at all. I knew who Sargeras was early on in my playtime and didn't have to research much. A lot about him is embedded in TBC. It's people who don't pay attention to lore AT ALL who don't know about him, and to be entirely honest, those people shouldn't have a say in who an expansion's main "baddy" should be anyway.

I'll give you Arthas and Illidan as being iconic in the WoW Universe, but Sargeras is well known to be the ultimate evil.

Deleted
    Last boss will be Azeroth its self

Azeroth is an old god, the titans contained an old god in a shell that is now the planet our avatars live on (Lovencraft lore) a being of uncomprehensible power that cannot be killed.

we will leave this planet and discover a new one, new zones, new leveling experience, a way to keep the franchise alive and fresh

Probably...

Quote Originally Posted by Ciscero View Post
    Last boss will be Azeroth its self

Azeroth is an old god, the titans contained an old god in a shell that is now the planet our avatars live on (Lovencraft lore) a being of uncomprehensible power that cannot be killed.

we will leave this planet and discover a new one, new zones, new leveling experience, a way to keep the franchise alive and fresh

Probably...
    This is neither WoW's lore nor Lovecraft's.