Nasa live stream - Does anyone else watch ?

So I have been monitoring the SpaceX launch and watching the views of it from the ISS.

I must say I am impressed with the picture quality nasa has been providing and wanted to share this with everyone.

You can watch it LIVE / free here: ustream .tv/nasahdtv

Truly impressive views of earth in real-time.

Let me know what you all think of the stream. I've been able to get it to stream wirelessly to my TV

can someone amend the link for me again please made a mistake in editing :/
    Last edited by prmadmax; 2012-05-25 at 03:28 PM. Reason: n/a

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ustream.html

And yes, been watching for hours.

When you can't tell the difference between when the video is frozen and when it is normal, that's a good sign it's not worth watching.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prmadmax View Post
    You can watch it LIVE / free here: ustream .tv/nasahdtv

can someone amend the link for me again please made a mistake in editing :/
    Allow me:

I've been watching NASA TV for longer than I can remember... first on satellite, then on cable, then on internet. Many years.

And speaking of SpaceX, welcome to the Harmony module! As of this moment: nominal first stage capture for the Dragon capsule. Almost done.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    When you can't tell the difference between when the video is frozen and when it is normal, that's a good sign it's not worth watching.
    Or that you're impatient.

Deleted
    looooool truer words have never been spoken.

It's a useless stream with almost no educational value.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully nobody's forcing anyone to watch.

Being able to watch the first commercial spacecraft dock with the ISS live, from orbit, with the blue marble of Earth in the background.

Not exactly what I'd call "useless"...

I've listened to their streaming audio of all the radio between the space station and the ground etc... Was a bit dull tbh. I occasionally watch when something major is happening like maybe they are space walking to repair something or whatever but the day to day activities up there seem pretty dull :|

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 06:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post

Being able to watch the first commercial spacecraft dock with the ISS live, from orbit, with the blue marble of Earth in the background.

I didnt know what time that happened or i'd have watched that but i'll just go watch a vid on some newswebsite or space.com instead.

Never knew this could be done, I'll have to check it out sounds like it could be interesting, but get boring pretty quick if there is not much action.
    Cheap Diablo 3 Gear and more! www.Gnomegates.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomegates View Post
    get boring pretty quick if there is not much action.
    *sigh*

Kids these days.

Is it really worth watching? Are NASA commercializing as they are unable to pay their billy by researching?

10+ Year Old Account
    Their host sucks, and isn't funny. The clips aren't that bad though
    My youtube channels: Sath Reacts: TV & Movie Reactions, and Sath Animations: Stop motion/claymation animations

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post

Don't get me wrong, it is something that I would personally watch.

It's just that I think the stream, particularly the audio commentary is very poor. Looking at a video stream that looks no different from a picture isn't exactly profound. I'd watch it not for any educational value, but merely to awe at the beauty of space and how peaceful and serene it is.

My interest in Astronomy/Astrophysics is not exactly sated in any way by this.

What do you guys expect from a Nasa stream?

A comedian?

/facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    What do you guys expect from a Nasa stream?

A comedian?

/facepalm
    A weekly vote, and each week the guy that the public wants out the most gets jettisoned.

I jest.

I missed the launch, haven't really got around to watching anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Don't get me wrong, it is something that I would personally watch.

It's just that I think the stream, particularly the audio commentary is very poor. Looking at a video stream that looks no different from a picture isn't exactly profound. I'd watch it not for any educational value, but merely to awe at the beauty of space and how peaceful and serene it is.

My interest in Astronomy/Astrophysics is not exactly sated in any way by this.
    Yeah, NASA TV doesn't do dedicated educational programming in astronomy & astrophysics (for adults, anyway). If that's what you're looking for, it's understandable that you'd find ISS mission coverage about as fascinating as watching paint dry. Live mission events have always been better, whether it's launches from KSC or spacecraft reaching or landing on other planets.

Even the live broadcasts aren't action-packed. There's a lot of dead air interrupted by clusters of technobabble -- probably not very enticing to a general audience. When you're really interested in spaceflight and watching these things happen in real time, you tend to forget about production gripes.

Been following the Falcon 9/Dragon launch since the aborted launch on May 19th. Stayed up on the 22nd to watch the Falcon 9 take off. Thing of beauty, that vehicle. Standing on the launch pad to 18000 mph in orbit in about 11 minutes. Entire mission went just about flawlessly.

SpaceX is a hell of a company. Their Merlin engines have the best power:weight of any liquid fuel rocket engine in the world, their electronics are both the lightest and have the best computational power of any rocket flight system in the world, their airframes have the best mass fraction of any spacecraft in the world, and the average age of employees at the company is 30.

Add to all that--SpaceX's launch vehicles are the most affordable in the world in all weight classes. Jesus tapdancing Christ. Why didn't the private sector get involved sooner?
    Last edited by Tore; 2012-05-26 at 09:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Add to all that--SpaceX's launch vehicles are the most affordable in the world in all weight classes. Jesus tapdancing Christ. Why didn't the private sector get involved sooner?
    Long story. In the interest of brevity: bad policy directives further complicated by partisan political games and budget shenanigans in Congress.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    looooool truer words have never been spoken.

It's a useless stream with almost no educational value.
    Go back to watching MTV or something. No need to come here and be such a wanker if you don't like what the thread is about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    Since the Government finally concluded there business with the "Alien Visitors" and they have since left our inner solar system, it is now safe enough to allow private business the opportunity to make it into space.

in all seriousness though, this is probably as exciting a time in history as we can ever hope for, it was little over a hundred years ago that man took their first flight, 51 years since the first space flight, and now we are starting to commercialize space. I am very excited to see what the next 30-40 years bring.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2012-05-26 at 07:52 PM.