Poll: Would you report someone for stealing a 20 dollar bill from work?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    No - then again, me and my former co workers often stole cakes and juice when i worked in a bakery xD
    Usually we ruined the cakes first so technically its vandalism i guess :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah ofc i would report them for stealing cash, but not for minor shit like a pen/can of coke.

Where i used to work we broke down cardboard boxes to fold them flat for recycling after the goods were put on display. A colleague asked me to save them 5 and put them out of the way so they could be used in moving home. All fine and dandy until they got called into the office the next day for a DISCIPLINARY as apparently it is 'THEFT'...
    I get called to the office to verify that it was me that said the boxes could be taken and then i get threatened with a disciplinary aswell !

Yeah taking home FULL boxes i would call theft, but EMPTY boxes ? Boxes that were going to be recycled anyway ?

Either way i had a word with the Regional Manager later that week on behalf of us both and he laughed it off thinking i was joking, until i told them to have a word with our Manager. He was NOT impressed and ripped our Manager a new one before overturning my colleagues disciplinary and wiping it from the system.

Everything is relative, stealing money or things of substantial value yes i would report. If he took home a pen or three who cares.

Since I'm the boss ,yes .

Hang em out to dry. A long time ago I worked at a petrol station and the till was down nearly every single day on my shift. There were 4 or 5 suspects and it was not a nice way to work because we all knew what was going on. People that respect you and are worthy of your respect don't put you or anyone else in that position so screw em.

Another guy there was always drinking stuff in the freezer and leaving the empty bottles for others to find. I always thought it was the guy on my shift doing it and he even discussed it with me right to my face. Yep, I do not care about people like that any more. Them crying about you "being a snitch" can stay on the school yard with the rest of those types of mentalities, trying to make you feel bad for looking out for yourself when that is exactly what they are doing. Think about this, they are implicating you in a crime by not coming forward, what kind of treatment do they deserve from you? Not everything is this straight forward but my situation certainly was.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Depends on what was stolen. If it was something like the tip jar, or something of substantial worth I'd report him/her without a second thought.

If it's a pencil, or a pair of scissors or something, ie something that won't cause any trouble for anybody, I wouldn't.
    I don't know, a pencil could cause some trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KX3OriDpgg

Seriously though I agree, it really comes down to what was taken, stealing money would definitely be worth reporting, a Pen/Pencil or something easily replaced for less than a buck probably not.

I would report it. Stealing is stealing even if it is only $20. It could a lot more than that the next time they steal and wouldn't be worth the risk. Also, if the boss finds out that the 20 is missing and that you saw it taken but didn't report it, you're going to be fired as well. I don't think my job is worth losing over $20.

Yes I would. It would make me look better in my supervisor's eyes, and someone who's not extremely pathetic gets a chance at a job.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Money, yes, petty small objects? Meh, shit happens that is far worse.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what exactly they stole. If it hurt another employee then yes but if not most likely I would not...unless I'm on camera watching the person do it then you would have to.

Depends what it is and if it only happens once. If it was a stick of gum or something, whatever, I don't care. If it was something like money, then yes I would.

Yes I would, because if you don't then it could be your job at a later date.

I've never seen it, but I would report it. Not worth my job to be complicit.