Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why should I respect your opinion?

"I respect your opinion but..."

I see people use this expression a lot when engaging in debate over certain issues.

Oh, you don't believe or are unwilling to look at the huge amount of scientific evidence concerning evolution. It's ok bro, I respect your opinion. Have a good day!

What's that? You want to turn back the clock and oppress or deny someone basic civil rights because it doesn't jive with you and your belief system? Well, I disagree, but I certainly respect your opinion.

I don't respect opinions based on nonsensical beliefs, hatred, intolerance, or stupidity, and neither should you. By doing this, we harm society and hold ourselves back from our true potential as a species.

"You have every right to that opinion..."

Bullshit. You have every right to be educated, but you do not have every right to hold hateful, bigoted, unscientific viewpoints in the face of overwhelming evidence and consensus.

So do you respect my opinion when it comes to respecting opinions, or am I completely wrong here?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

You respect my opinions because I'm right and you're wrong so stfu.
    *Note: Not being serious.

And yeah, I kinda agree. If it's just stupid then what's the point in respecting it? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post

I see people use this expression a lot when engaging in debate over certain issues.

Oh, you don't believe or are unwilling to look at the huge amount of scientific evidence concerning evolution. It's ok bro, I respect your opinion. Have a good day!

What's that? You want to turn back the clock and oppress or deny someone basic civil rights because it doesn't jive with you and your belief system? Well, I disagree, but I certainly respect your opinion.

I don't respect opinions based on nonsensical beliefs, hatred, intolerance, or stupidity, and neither should you. By doing this, we harm society and hold ourselves back from our true potential as a species.

Bullshit. You have every right to be educated, but you do not have every right to hold hateful, bigoted, unscientific viewpoints in the face of overwhelming evidence and consensus.

So do you respect my opinion when it comes to respecting opinions, or am I completely wrong here?

Depends. In most cases it's to not act like a twat. In your examples your reaction would probably be the norm.
    Last edited by Vorticough; 2012-05-27 at 06:11 PM.

Deleted
    Some people are happy in ignorance and that is what we respect, not the stupid crap they hurl our ways.
    We can't force someone to agree with a scientific theory or proof if they don't want to, that would be indoctrination, the very stupidity we are trying to cure. They need to take the step towards enlightenment themselves and that needs to be respected.

Look at it this way, even if they are being stupid and arguing about something that is scientifically proven, at least they are capable of critical thinking, which is awesome. First step to becoming educated!
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-05-27 at 06:18 PM.

opinions can be wrong. as for respect, its a two way street.

Deleted

This is the internet, there's 3 prime things you need to know.

1. Nobody listens
    2. Nobody actually reads (they just skim)
    3. Nobody tends to care much anyway.

They're 3 facts which are unfortunately a sad but true fact about 80% of the internet, it's also why you get news reports about puppies instead of war criminals etc. at least in my opinion anyway!

The phrase "I respect your opinion" really comes down to the more educated people on the internet who don't want to upset or end up having a massive argument with people. It's the polite way of saying, "I'm listening to you, but ultimately I think you're wrong, and this is why"

10+ Year Old Account
    If there are proven facts against someones opinion then it's not an opinion. A.K.A. nothing to respect.

You not respecting someones opinion is being extremely ignorant. Calling someone stupid because of their opinions is stupid. Get off of your high horse of knowledge and understand that not everyone believes in the same shit as you.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

It's just a catch phrase. Wether you "respect" someone's opinion or not isn't relevant in any way. Not that you could - or should be able to - do anything about it.

I also think the whole idea of "respecting an opinion" has no actual substance, the whole thing doesn't hold any water. What does it even mean - to respect one's opinion? To disagree with him, but acknowledge that he sees things differently? It's not like you could do any different.

Respect for other people's opinions only comes into play when you're in charge of a decision that affects others - where you can choose to have consideration for them or not. Disregarding everybody else's interests would show that one views his own opinion as the only valid one that everyone must obey - that would be disrespecting other people's views. But as long as you don't have any say in a particular matter, there isn't anything to respect or disrespect.

That's wrong, one has actually every right to be uneducated and to hold hateful and unscientific viewpoints. Also, there's no such thing as "evidence" for anything.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2012-05-27 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The special snowflakes will get upset if you don't!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakkleung View Post
    The phrase "I respect your opinion" really comes down to the more educated people on the internet who don't want to upset or end up having a massive argument with people. It's the polite way of saying, "I'm listening to you, but ultimately I think you're wrong, and this is why"
    But that's my point. We need to stop being polite, its not helping our cause. The passive-aggressiveness of "I respect your opinion" is dangerous to our society. It perpetuates bigotry, intolerance, stupidity etc.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Reminds me of "with all due respect" from Talladega Nights

New and shiny compppppp!

Deleted
    But that's my point. We need to stop being polite, its not helping our cause. The passive-aggressiveness of "I respect your opinion" is dangerous to our society. It perpetuates bigotry, intolerance, stupidity etc.
    The tides of respectful opposition facilitate comfortable progression.

or, some pretentious crap like that?

Deleted
    also scientists are humans and can also be wrong and they also have opinions so are often biased. Also many scientists require funds to keep their jobs so will often concoct evidence to keep themselves working. Hence my issues with a lot of evolutionist scientists.

Difficult. On one hand, the ability to form your own opinion is a fundamental freedom. On the other hand, if it's in the face of logic, I feel like we should be able to denounce that opinion as worthless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    If there are proven facts against someones opinion then it's not an opinion. A.K.A. nothing to respect.

You not respecting someones opinion is being extremely ignorant. Calling someone stupid because of their opinions is stupid. Get off of your high horse of knowledge and understand that not everyone believes in the same shit as you.
    Well, Waaldo, someones opinion is the reflexion of that person. In other words, how can anyone other that a stupid person hold a stupid opinion ?

I think it's more a case of trying to not directly attack their opinion, as that tends to get people on the defensive, and most of those arguments devolve into bickering.

People cement their opinions and hold them close, especially when they're related to their moral compass (as religious beliefs almost universally do). Changing that would require the person to change fundamental beliefs about reality they've built their life on, so they won't give up without a fight. And usually, due to that, instead of getting a comfortable debate where people are open-minded about new ideas, you get, just that, a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by jreg View Post
    Difficult. On one hand, the ability to form your own opinion is a fundamental freedom. On the other hand, if it's in the face of logic, I feel like we should be able to denounce that opinion as worthless.
    that's the difficult part. People feel their right to have an opinion threatened if it's "oppressed" by people saying that opinion is stupid. The problem is, due to having so many people and so many opinions, some of them will be stupid. Just on principle of we will inevitably disagree.

I'm picking through a book I read, "Crimes Against Logic" that had a chapter on this, for some choice quotes...

"Does your right to your opinion oblige me to agree with you? No. If only because that would be impossible to square with the universality of the right to an opinion. I , too, am entitled to my own opinion which might contradict yours."

and goes on from there to pick apart that "right".
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2012-05-27 at 06:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I respect peoples' opinions when they're worth respecting.

As far as I've seen, the loudest person usually wins the argument. Thus if you say "I respect your opinion" you could get away with the other person not becoming loud to begin with so they don't win the argument on that stupid merit. And you or the other person leave considering the other person's opinion instead of completely dismissing it for no sound reason.

Of course this holds true for controversial topics that don't have obvious backing for one side or another unlike the examples you're giving. In situations such as those all you need to say is "get educated" and leave.

Also, it's not really an opinion if it's wrong. At that point it's just a delusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Respecting an opinion is stupid. Respect the right to have an opinion, not the opinion itself. As in "I respect your right to have an opinion, but your opinion is a pile of crap".

Never use the phrase myself.

---------- Post added 2012-05-27 at 08:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    As far as I've seen, the loudest person usually wins the argument. Thus if you say "I respect your opinion" you could get away with the other person not becoming loud to begin with so they don't win the argument on that stupid merit. And you or the other person leave considering the other person's opinion instead of completely dismissing it for no sound reason.

Of course this holds true for controversial topics that don't have obvious backing for one side or another unlike the examples you're giving. In situations such as those all you need to say is "get educated" and leave.

Also, it's not really an opinion if it's wrong. At that point it's just a delusion.
    Its hard to be "loud" on a forum