Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Its called Truancy. Many countries require young adults to attend school and complete their compulsory education requirements. In some cases, putting it as the parents' responsibility and holding them legally responsible. If the parent(s) or guardian(s) have shown an effort to get their child to school or the courts have waived their rights, emancipating the teen, that legal responsibility falls upon the student.

Its understandable that some teens who get emancipated or have chosen to have outside responsibilities find it difficult to meet the requirements. This doesn't mean the government should lower the standard of education because of the select few. For those that have chosen to have outside responsibilities or have been thrust into that environment, there are many agencies that offer financial support, housing, and child care for teens and their siblings, who find themselves in situations that would interfere in their schooling.

Tran was warned previously by the courts of what the requirements were. Tran chose not to heed the warning, nor were any steps taken to try to resolve the problem, which is why the charges were filed. Its not surprising to see people getting upset when a student is punished ... but being held responsible for getting their minimum education because they've chosen not to withdraw from school? That seems ridiculous.

What seems to be lost here is the fact that the government was forced to start requiring free education by the vast majority of voters years ago. If people don't like it, they should drop out at the legal age (16 in most states), or vote to have the right to a free, publicly funded education be changed. The states and schools should also not be held accountable for these teens if they choose to give up those rights. McDonald's and Taco Bell needs employees too.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Drugs, theft and gangs.

Edit: Oh and Texas likes to toss people into the system every chance they get.
    How dare you insert the hard working girl with drugs, theft and gangs and some posts before that say that the law is fine... I know that you know that the law is corrupted as a motherfucker and that corporations rule the world with their fucking lobbyists, inserting laws here and there how they see fit. I'in the end it's all about controlling the ones below them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I could totally see something like this happening in Holland, tho you gotta give the girl respect for putting in that much work to support those siblings. You'd think she could've at least gone to that school, and arranged something with them... Also makes me wonder, where the hell are other people, responsible for those kids?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    O.T. That can't be the whole story. It doesn't make sense to jail someone just because of missing school.
    I'm sorry, that's the whole story. There's a law in Texas that says that after a number of absences from school you go to jail and the judge worked by the "no compromises" thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    I saw it, read it, thought it was a fucking disgrace. What's your point?

I'd like you to describe a case where this law would be applied with full justification. This law is NOT fine.
    Imagine any one of a million youth stereotypes that make it justifiable. Ill use the easy ones, gangs or drugs. Hanging out with older people, who are involved with gangs or drugs, LOL.
    I'm glad this was not the issue back in the day when I was going to school in Houston. I knew a ton of party kids, that crashed at our place after partying all night and frequently bailed on school, or showed up just for their AP classes.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    I think the issue people on the forums with the "only in America" comments, is that a young woman working so damn hard by working so many hours in the week (im guessing at least 60 hours) just to keep a roof over the head of her and her siblings, as well as trying to get to school is punished for this by being put in prison and fined money she probably dose not have spare.

However, I do think that her being put in jail over night and fined is a good thing for her, Not that it was a good thing to do. She now has world wide attention, it would not surprise me in the least if she gets a lot of help from people now.

As for this type of thing happening elsewhere, yes it does. and on a daily basis. However it does seem strange for a judge to deiced to take this course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessani View Post
    Tran was warned previously by the courts of what the requirements were. Tran chose not to heed the warning, nor were any steps taken to try to resolve the problem, which is why the charges were filed. Its not surprising to see people getting upset when a student is punished ... but being held responsible for getting their minimum education because they've chosen not to withdraw from school? That seems ridiculous.
    Yeah and you might have had a point if Tran wasn't getting her minimum education. Except she's an honor student who has clearly far exceeded the average high school education. So actually your post is nothing more than a load of ridiculous victim-blaming, self-contradictory nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by soliddevil View Post
    How dare you insert the hard working girl with drugs, theft and gangs and some posts before that say that the law is fine... I know that you know that the law is corrupted as a motherfucker and that corporations rule the world with their fucking lobbyists, inserting laws here and there how they see fit. I'in the end it's all about controlling the ones below them.
    Uh, the law exists because of the fear your kids are going to be in gangs or on drugs if they are not in schools. Clearly she is a victim of a law put in place to deal with that kinda kid.
    THAT is the KIND OF THOUGHT PROCCESS behind making such a law, which is what i was answering for the person wondering.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Its called Truancy. Many countries require young adults to attend school and complete their compulsory education requirements. In some cases, putting it as the parents' responsibility and holding them legally responsible. If the parent(s) or guardian(s) have shown an effort to get their child to school or the courts have waived their rights, emancipating the teen, that legal responsibility falls upon the student.

Its understandable that some teens who get emancipated or have chosen to have outside responsibilities find it difficult to meet the requirements. This doesn't mean the government should lower the standard of education because of the select few. For those that have chosen to have outside responsibilities or have been thrust into that environment, there are many agencies that offer financial support, housing, and child care for teens and their siblings, who find themselves in situations that would interfere in their schooling.

What seems to be lost here is the fact that the government was forced to start requiring free education by the vast majority of voters years ago. If people don't like it, they should drop out at the legal age (16 in most states), or vote to have the right to a free, publicly funded education be changed. The states and schools should also not be held accountable for these teens if they choose to give up those rights. McDonald's and Taco Bell needs employees too.
    Stop talking out of your ass, please, you are not fooling anyone.

Freedom should NOT be voted for, freedom is something we all have from birth, now that fucking goverments say otherwise, that's a different story. But to (to me), enslave kids and force them their type of education down kids throats is just fucking wrong.

According to you, all who dont attend to school and get forced fed with their education ends up working at McDonald's and Taco Bell right? You have no fucking clue, go back and watch TV (and believe) everything the media throws at you, you fucking zombie. The world is a FREE world where people have the right to educate themselfs as they please and if they dont buy the goverments way of teaching things, then let them fucking explore life as they please and as long as they dont hurt anyone around themselfs, then to me, that is fucking fine.

People like you are the ones feeding others around you with fucking propaganda bullshit, thats why this law was passed in the first place, because of thinkers like you.

FREEDOM IS FREE AND SHOULD NEVER BE VOTED FOR!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I'm sorry, that's the whole story. There's a law in Texas that says that after a number of absences from school you go to jail and the judge worked by the "no compromises" thinking.
    Exactly. The judge is just doing his job and he would probably get fired if he made exceptions in the law just because of one special case. Blame the law, not the judge.

Deleted

What you fail to grasp is this:
    -she learned and had high marks at school, she just didn't attend all classes.
    -she worked to support her family, since there was nobody else that could do so
    -yes, there are organizations and such, but do you think a 17 year old that spends all her time working, taking care of siblings and learning for school has time to find them?
    So overall, this is not a case of dropping out of school and not talking to organizations who can help. In fact, I think the problem is different. The school knew of her problem, yet instead of directing her to such organizations, they decided to warn her that if she misses school more they'll send her before a judge!

Imagine any one of a million youth stereotypes that make it justifiable. Ill use the easy ones, gangs or drugs. Hanging out with older people, who are involved with gangs or drugs, LOL.
    I'm glad this was not the issue back in the day when I was going to school in Houston. I knew a ton of party kids, that crashed at our place after partying all night and frequently bailed on school, or showed up just for their AP classes.
    So you put an underaged kid in a jail. Yeah that should sure show him not to go back to crime again..!

How about, instead of jailing kids, take them into an institution where they help these kids get back on their feet and make something better out of life? Yeah.. nahhhh.. too much effort.. too time consuming. There are too many of those pesky kids anyway. It's easier to just lock them up!

The law is fine, or should I say it's par for the course for Texas, the application of the law, the lack of compassion, and awareness form the school ( hello nobody knew the situation, or was it because they were affraid of being sued IF they played favortisim) Is the actual issue. It is more worry some that nobody knew what was going on with the student from the start. NOW that people know the law can be applied that way to anyone, expect there to be a push for it to change. BUT for every case like this there will be a line of time's it was applied correctly.
    The law is not fine. That shouldn't even be up for debate. Saying that it'll be changed doesn't mean it is fine, because throwing a student in jail for not showing up to school is frankly ridiculous.

Drugs, theft and gangs.
    There are laws on those issues. None of which excuses this garbage of a legislation.

---------- Post added 2012-05-28 at 10:33 AM ----------

Uh, the law exists because of the fear your kids are going to be in gangs or on drugs if they are not in schools. Clearly she is a victim of a law put in place to deal with that kinda kid.
    THAT is the KIND OF THOUGHT PROCCESS behind making such a law, which is what i was answering for the person wondering.
    I wasn't actually wondering. It was just a figure of speech. Also your rationale for the law is just downright stupid.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-05-28 at 10:34 AM.

Should get my man Joe Rogan in here to school you zombies on how things are and how things should be. If you haven't by now, go and listen to his podcast about life, you might learn a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    So overall, this is not a case of dropping out of school and not talking to organizations who can help. In fact, I think the problem is different. The school knew of her problem, yet instead of directing her to such organizations, they decided to warn her that if she misses school more they'll send her before a judge!
    The community failed her and choose to act in a way that covered their own asses, rather then taking the chance to skirt the rules to help her.
    I think that is more of an issue. The fear that not applying the rules, makes you open to having rules applied to you.
    For all we know the judge had as much compassion for her as the law allows too.
    Maybe we just don't live in the kinda world anymore where, a teacher, attacked, can look out for every student, with minimal fear for their job.

For all we know the judge had as much compassion for her as the law allows too.
    No, it's pretty clear he had no compassion. Judges can and do exercise discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I wasn't actually wondering. It was just a figure of speech. Also your rationale for the law is just downright stupid.
    IF it's stupid, why was it made to begin with?
    What on earth would ever initate the need to put a kid threw juvie for missing school?

What on earth would ever initate the need to put a kid threw juvie for missing school?
    Your objection makes no sense whatsoever. Legislatures make stupid laws all the time. The fact that a retarded law was enacted doesn't make it any less stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    a rule is a rule, cant go breaking rules (and laws) for any old worthy cause, you have to stick to what the rules say.

Now if you want to change the law, fine. But until then, abide by it, or be judged by it.
    Welcome to the U.S (and the world for that matter). We are their bitches, I don't like it but I bet alot of you here think it's fine, the safety net it brings. Btw, that "safety net", it's all an illusion...

And in this case, "old worthy cause", it's her willingness to support herself, to earn and to think outside of the box if you may, but she got jailed for that...

Seems right eh? Because it's the "law".
    Last edited by soliddevil; 2012-05-28 at 10:49 AM.

The fact that this law is in effect does not make it any less stupid. I don't see what you're trying to achieve here..

---------- Post added 2012-05-28 at 12:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    a rule is a rule, cant go breaking rules (and laws) for any old worthy cause, you have to stick to what the rules say.

Now if you want to change the law, fine. But until then, abide by it, or be judged by it.
    If people are actually going to be stupid enough to do this then the governments would pretty much get away with anything. In many cases they already do.