Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does someone elses Magic Find actually help my loot drops?

I just joined a group, and got a rare ring and Legendary off of the first pack of mobs we killed. (No Nephalem Valor). As soon as I told the group, the Barbarian said it was because he had 200 Magic Find and demanded that I give him the Legendary staff because it only dropped because of him.

I immediately hit "leave game" and placed him on block when he began messaging me. I am curious now, since I didn't have any Neph. Valor if he was right about his Magic Find increasing my loot drops? If so, I'm going to get a group together of players wearing nothing but "MF" gear!!

MF is split as far as I know, if you join a group and they all have 200 MF you will get 150 MF and everyone else will lose 50. Could be wrong though.

Deleted
    Yes, he's correct. Magic find is added up between all the players in a group and then divided by those players.

So for example
    Player 1 = 100% MF
    Player 2 = 50% MF
    Player 3 = 0% MF
    Player 4 = 50% MF

Total = 200%, divided by 4 players, you all have 50%.

So not only does his MF help you, but your lack of MF will actually reduce his. That being said, your loot is your own and he definitely shouldn't have been telling you to trade it, and if he continues, report him for harrassment! If he doesn't want to share his MF with people who may have less, he shouldn't go into a public game.

Deleted
    LOL.. Demanding the drop because of his Magic find? Funniest I read in a long time.

First, whats drops for you are your drops and nobody else can claim anything. You dont need to tell them whats dropped since they cant see it.
    Second, I find it hard to belive that his Magic find can affect your change to drop at all.
    Third, congratulations..

Wow, I actually do kind of feel like an asshole now. This also explains why when I group with my friend I get massive amounts more gold (he has a GF set), and he claims to get less gold when grouping with me. I have no GF, lol. :-\

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Yes, he's correct. Magic find is added up between all the players in a group and then divided by those players.
    Are you sure about that? I almost only play together with my GF, and she dont have any MF at all, while I am stacking it like crazy. I get also a shit lode more magic drops than she.. That shouldnt be possible if it was split?

Quote Originally Posted by JackHeart View Post
    Are you sure about that? I almost only play together with my GF, and she dont have any MF at all, while I am stacking it like crazy. I get also a shit lode more magic drops than she.. That shouldnt be possible if it was split?
    RNG is RNG. Yes, MF is split between your party members.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I just joined a group, and got a rare ring and Legendary off of the first pack of mobs we killed. (No Nephalem Valor). As soon as I told the group, the Barbarian said it was because he had 200 Magic Find and demanded that I give him the Legendary staff because it only dropped because of him.

I immediately hit "leave game" and placed him on block when he began messaging me. I am curious now, since I didn't have any Neph. Valor if he was right about his Magic Find increasing my loot drops? If so, I'm going to get a group together of players wearing nothing but "MF" gear!!
    Yes he did increase your MF, it is averaged among the both of you, if you had 0 and he had 200 that means you had 100 each.

The people I play with personally, we have unwritten rules (every public and private game I have joined), we have never ever said anything but always, whenever something that drops the other play might be able to use, we link it and i give it for free which others do too or sometimes for a paltry sum of money.

I think this attitude harbours a greater community and better play experience for all - that being said, we don't just trade items because one of his has more MF. The guy is clearly sour because of your better RNG.
    Last edited by Sackman; 2012-05-28 at 12:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Yes, thats how it works. RNG is still RNG though.

Deleted
    Shit.. I most be very lucky, and she very unlucky... Now i shall demand that she get more MF gear so I get even more drops...

Deleted
    Yeah, I'm 100% sure. It was covered very specifically in a blue post during the beta. Bad luck is always possible, you can have 1000% MF and still get a white item from a resplendant chest, that's just RNG for you

Deleted
    Yes. I stand corrected. Magic find is divided among the group. I was wrong. Guess I just been very lucky.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Magic_find

Even with that fact, what drops for one person is his no matter what magic find he, or anyone else has in the group. Anything else is crazy.

What about Neph. Valor? I lose my Neph Valor a lot due to a bug, and don't see a single rare drop off of bosses when I don't have 5 stacks of the buff. Whenever I do have 5 stacks of the buff it is like a given that I will get 2-3 rares off of most bosses. When I lose my buff, everyone will be like "yeah, I got 2 rares" and link them, and I won't get any. I'm guessing that the buff doesn't divide with the group??

All sources of MF are divided among the group. RNG is still RNG.

What about Neph. Valor? I lose my Neph Valor a lot due to a bug, and don't see a single rare drop off of bosses when I don't have 5 stacks of the buff. Whenever I do have 5 stacks of the buff it is like a given that I will get 2-3 rares off of most bosses. When I lose my buff, everyone will be like "yeah, I got 2 rares" and link them, and I won't get any. I'm guessing that the buff doesn't divide with the group??
    I think it's more along the lines of, if you have 5 stacks you're guaranteed X rare drops. Even if you have 150 MF and do a boss with 0 stacks you won't get any rares, 5 stacks and only the MF from them and you'll get 2-3+.
    Last edited by Mudkiper; 2012-05-28 at 01:37 PM.

Nephalem Valor gives you 15% gold and magic find per stack, along with 1 guaranteed extra drop per stack from applicable bosses. I can say for certain that it does not guarantee rare drops, although I believe the bonus loots are all a minimum of magic quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    I think it's more along the lines of, if you have 5 stacks you're guaranteed X rare drops. Even if you have 150 MF and do a boss with 0 stacks you won't get any rares, 5 stacks and only the MF from them and you'll get 2-3+.
    That is interesting, but I believe you because I don't have any MF and I always get rares from bosses as long as I have NV.

>snip<

Like a few people have said, MF is averaged amongst all the players in a group. This was to prevent people stacking MF gear for personal profit whilst making life harder for the group (by having less damage gear), this way you get to benefit from their magic-find the same way they benefit from you doing more damage.

I'm presuming NV is added on after the group average, not before?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    I'm presuming NV is added on after the group average, not before?
    I'd like to know this too. The extra loot from bosses with this buff certainly isnt shared among the group but they magic find might be?