Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Definition of "hook-up"

What exactly is the definition of hook -up? For example, if a guy says he hooked up with a chick over the weekend.

There are two conflicting definition I hear.

The first is a meet up involving casual non commital sex, and the other seems to imply just hanging out. So what is the most common colloquial definition of hooking up?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

The sexy time.

In my country it just means making out :/

you have sex with the lady

10+ Year Old Account
    i would say the min requirement would be oral sex of some sorts. making out isnt really hooking up.

A 'hook up' generally involves one or more people having an orgasm brought on by the person you 'hooked up' with.

It means sexual acts went on. Doesn't strictly have to be coitus, but more than just making out. And certainly more than just hanging out.
    Last edited by Duskmourne; 2012-05-29 at 03:54 AM.

It's always been hanging out with the mutual intent to do it again soon with the understanding that it is going to lead to very soon sexual activity.

I've gone bowling and 'hooked up' with someone and not actually kissed them. However we both knew where things were going within the next few days.

Granted, it can be MORE than that, sure. But I'd say thats the minimum line drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Celerocity View Post
    It's always been hanging out with the mutual intent to do it again soon with the understanding that it is going to lead to very soon sexual activity.

I've gone bowling and 'hooked up' with someone and not actually kissed them. However we both knew where things were going within the next few days.

Granted, it can be MORE than that, sure. But I'd say thats the minimum line drawn.
    Just curious, but where are you from that 'hookup' means to hang out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskmourne View Post
    It means sexual acts went on. Doesn't strictly have to be coitus, but more than just making out. And certainly more than just hanging out.
    No point in typing my own definition when this guy got it spot on.

I've never heard it in reference to hanging out. If you hung out, then just say you hung out.

so from the sound of it to constitute a hook up one must atleast reach 2nd base.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega View Post
    so from the sound of it to constitute a hook up one must atleast reach 2nd base.
    No, from the sound of it, it can mean a million different things depending on where you live. So ask your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Scigodomega View Post
    no.
    at least 3rd base. 3rd base = orgasm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well here is making out with another person it's not necessary a sexual interaction (well in my country )

I hook up with my friends to hang out all the time. It really depends on the person saying it's definition of the term. Ask them
    Link broken

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    If there's an implied sexual bit to it, then I've been using this phrase wrong for years.
    I suspect the term has evolved. When I was in gradeschool it just meant get together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Wow..Lots of conflicting definitions. I never thought it meant anything to do with sex. I was always under the impression it was like a 21st century way of saying "I started dating this chick" although it's not really "dating" because no verbal pact was stated.

I wonder if perhaps the younger people use it as 'hanging out' and us older people use it as a stand in for sexy time?

10+ Year Old Account
    I always used hook-up to mean to hang out with, like:

"You guys want to hang at my place, then hook up with John and Jane at Subway later?"

The first time I used it casually, my friends were like "WTF U TALKIN ABOUW BRO? DATS AWKWARD."

And then I learned how people really use it -.-
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    When I was younger (high school) I always considered "I hooked up with a chick" to mean that you actually had sex. Now days the definition (a la Jersey Shore) seems to mean just making out.

To "hook up" can certainly mean to go hang out, but it's usually very clear when that is the meaning implied. For example, "I'm going to go hook up with Nancy after we finish watching this movie." Very clear that I just mean to go meet her.