Poll: What screen would you take for wow gaming (if price didnt matter):

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question 1920x1200 and 60 hz or 1920x1080 and 120 hz for wow?

Other specs I have: 7970 GPU and i5 3570

Thanks in advance

Ps, Im mainly considering, but Im open for suggestions. PS I can go a little higher in price

DELL U2412M
    24" 1200p E-IPS, LED

and

ASUS ML248H 24-Inch 1920x1080 LED Monitor

Thanks in advance

I would say the 1080 resolution as it's your native resolution.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you were playing FPS games, then I'd say perhaps a 120Hz display would be more beneficial to you, but since you also offered the Dell E-IPS suggestion and you're buying a monitor for WoW, I'd go with the Dell.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    120Hz is more for FPS games, 60Hz will do just fine for WoW.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    I would say the 1080 resolution as it's your native resolution.
    Your native resolution is whatever resolution the monitor that you're using is.... A 7970 could run 4 high resolution (read: higher than 1920x1080) monitors, it could easily run 2560x1600. I think you're just confused what resolutions and "native" resolutions are.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Your native resolution is whatever resolution the monitor that you're using is.... A 7970 could run 4 high resolution (read: higher than 1920x1080) monitors, it could easily run 2560x1600. I think you're just confused what resolutions and "native" resolutions are.
    No, most of the time my native resolution runs games better, just my experience though.

If you were playing FPS games, then I'd say perhaps a 120Hz display would be more beneficial to you, but since you also offered the Dell E-IPS suggestion and you're buying a monitor for WoW, I'd go with the Dell.
    What do you mean by this, I honestly just copied a pc building guide that was here. Is E-IPS bad?

Im open for whatever really, Im spending so much on my pc that I can spend some more cash on a screen

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    No, most of the time my native resolution runs games better, just my experience though.
    Yes games will usually LOOK better at the native resolution of your monitor... His point was the native resolution is dependent on the monitor, and has little to nothing to do with the video card (as long as it fast enough for that resolution).

Deleted
    get a 60hz monitor because it has a higher resolution. In wow resolution>everything else. Not like you will have video games on 120fps which is needed for 120 hz for a long time without minimising graphics. And not like it's worth it anyway, 60hz from 120 hz is barely noticeable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanfear1 View Post
    What do you mean by this, I honestly just copied a pc building guide that was here. Is E-IPS bad?

Im open for whatever really, Im spending so much on my pc that I can spend some more cash on a screen
    I meant it like since you were already looking at the E-IPS monitor, I'd honestly just suggest you go for that. IPS/E-IPS are some of the best displays out there, far superior to TN and have much better color reproduction.

---------- Post added 2012-05-28 at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    get a 60hz monitor because it has a higher resolution. In wow resolution>everything else. Not like you will have video games on 120fps which is needed for 120 hz for a long time without minimising graphics. And not like it's worth it anyway, 60hz from 120 hz is barely noticeable.
    Uh..... no. First of all the OP has a i5-3570K CPU, and an HD 7970 graphics card.... those two combined will mean the OP could get easily over 60 fps in most games. 120fps is very noticeable in comparison to 60 fps.

Also, a 60Hz monitor will not necessarily have a higher resolution...

I'm sure Xuvial will be in here soon enough though to let you know how well his 120Hz display has worked out. Not to mention that the 120Hz monitor will also simply display any fps from 60-120, it doesn't have to be at 120 all the time, just a 60Hz monitor will be limited to 60 fps.
    "A flower.

I meant it like since you were already looking at the E-IPS monitor, I'd honestly just suggest you go for that. IPS/E-IPS are some of the best displays out there, far superior to TN and have much better color reproduction.

Uh..... no. First of all the OP has a i5-3570K CPU, and an HD 7970 graphics card.... those two combined will mean the OP could get easily over 60 fps in most games. 120fps is very noticeable in comparison to 60 fps.

I'm sure Xuvial will be in here soon enough though to let you know how well his 120Hz display has worked out. Not to mention that the 120Hz monitor will also simply display any fps from 60-120, it doesn't have to be at 120 all the time, just a 60Hz monitor will be limited to 60 fps.
    So, what about

BenQ 24" LED XL2420T

or

Samsung 23" LED Syncmaster S23A750D

?

Pretty much limited to those from my retailer, although I could buy at other retailers and most likely find a monitor you (or xuvial) would recomend
    Last edited by Lanfear1; 2012-05-28 at 07:44 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graph View Post
    120Hz is more for FPS games, 60Hz will do just fine for WoW.
    basically don't listen to this. what the OP is asking is whats the diff. between the 2 displays. the first display 1920x1200 is more of a widescreen as the second is more of a boxy looking screen. also one of the differences between the 60hz and120hz is the ability to be used in a 3D set up.If 3d gaming is Not something your going after then 60hz is fine.A 3d set up gets really pricey fast as you need a 3d capable monitor and video card and glasses. I have played wow in 3d and was not impressed... but FPS are cool in 3d.

No.....just no, 120Hz (dual 60Hz phasing) screens are only for using 3D setups. the human eye cannot distinguish frequencies above the 22-26 Hz (depends on the person) anyway as the only thing the eye can "see" above this level is massive shifts in the frequency (caused by screen delay or processing delay). The difference you are describing in looks is attributed to contrast ratio and reaction delay. You need only keep these two in mind as well as your computers hardware (covered already).

Im not going 3d.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewragg View Post
    basically don't listen to this. what the OP is asking is whats the diff. between the 2 displays. the first display 1920x1200 is more of a widescreen as the second is more of a boxy looking screen. also one of the differences between the 60hz and120hz is the ability to be used in a 3D set up.If 3d gaming is Not something your going after then 60hz is fine.A 3d set up gets really pricey fast as you need a 3d capable monitor and video card and glasses. I have played wow in 3d and was not impressed... but FPS are cool in 3d.
    This is not all entirely true...

The two monitors' resolutions are 1920x1080 and 1920x1200, thus 1200p is actually closer to a box whereas the 1080p resolution is more rectangular.

1920x1200 = 16:10 ratio, more boxy, higher height, thus it is closer to a square.
    1920x1080 = 16:9 ratio, rectangular, shorter height.
    "A flower.

So, what should I get?
    -Not sure if it matters, but Im not gonna overclok

Also Im mostly going to do arenas
    Last edited by Lanfear1; 2012-05-28 at 08:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocadial View Post
    No.....just no, 120Hz (dual 60Hz phasing) screens are only for using 3D setups. the human eye cannot distinguish frequencies above the 22-26 Hz (depends on the person) anyway as the only thing the eye can "see" above this level is massive shifts in the frequency (caused by screen delay or processing delay). The difference you are describing in looks is attributed to contrast ratio and reaction delay. You need only keep these two in mind as well as your computers hardware (covered already).
    It's already been proven that the whole "human eye cannot see over 24Hz" is a fallacy. 24Hz+ motion blur was simply put in place due to hardware limits from back in the day.

If 24 fps is the highest the human eye can see, then why the hell can I see the difference between when I am getting 40 fps in a game and 60? Your post is fully of scientifically proven and well-accepted fallacies in regards to what the human eye can or cannot see, and for the record, the eye does not even see in "frames per second." The eye takes in light as it receives it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-28 at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lanfear1 View Post
    So, what should I get?
    -Not sure if it matters, but Im not gonna overclok
    Like I said originally, just get the Dell U2412M, it's the nicest monitor you have posted regarding.
    "A flower.

It's already been proven that the whole "human eye cannot see over 24Hz" is a fallacy. 24Hz+ motion blur was simply put in place due to hardware limits from back in the day.

If 24 fps is the highest the human eye can see, then why the hell can I see the difference between when I am getting 40 fps in a game and 60? Your post is fully of scientifically proven and well-accepted fallacies in regards to what the human eye can or cannot see, and for the record, the eye does not even see in "frames per second." The eye takes in light as it receives it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-28 at 08:18 PM ----------

Like I said originally, just get the Dell U2412M, it's the nicest monitor you have posted regarding.
    ok, thanks
    Just wanted to go 100% safe and ask if its better then Acer 24" LED B243PWLymdr and HP Compaq LA2405wg

10+ Year Old Account
    In this thread so far, pretty much only DeltrusDisc have given real answers. Don't come with that human eye fps limit crap, please guys. Just because you saw the 24 fps marker in VLC's settings that one time when you played that trailer does not mean it's a biological limit of any sort.

Color representation and viewing angles will be better on the Dell monitor. The other one got 120hz instead. Resolution-wise I personally do not give a damn between the two, but the Dell still has more pixels.

Personal preference really. I would've gone with the Dell out of the two as I'd appreciate the perks it has.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocadial View Post
    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm
    /thread