Poll: What screen would you take for wow gaming (if price didnt matter):

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's got a single 7970 so I'd go with the 24" 1920x1200 dell. I know when i had my 7970 on my 27" 60Hz 1920x1080 asus monitor it sat at around 60fps on BF3 full maxed. wow you wont get much more than 60 fps and shouldnt matter vsync that so u dont get screen tearing.

also 1080P looks like crap past 25" trust me my next monitor will be a 2560x1600 30" sometimes i feel like my 1080p is 720p cause the screen size.

---------- Post added 2012-05-29 at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Are you playing very fast paced FPS games like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament? Then you might consider the 120Hz

Otherwise 16:10 > 16:9

The difference between a 60hz and 120hz screen is minimal, unless you're some kind of leet FPS gamer you'll never even notice the difference, where as a 16:10 resolution is a VERY noticable upgrade from a 16:9.
    I played the crap outa unreal tournament back in the day when i was on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    No, most of the time my native resolution runs games better, just my experience though.
    Sigh, Ill explain this again as you didnt read or didnt understand what deltrus said. "Native" Resolution is the monitors preference and ideal resolution. I.e 1920x1080 is my 23" monitors Native resolution not 2500x1600 not 1600x900. The gpu especially the new big boys can display much higher resolutions than 1920x1080 quite easily, that does NOT mean your monitor supports 1920x1200 or higher it means that the gpu can w/ nearly any resolution.

Well, sure a single 7970 won't give you 120fps constant for BF3, but it does get very close sometimes, for single player at least. Same applies for games like Metro 2033, and if you want to get to that 120hz mark at all times, you can always decrease a few things in the config. Also, BF3, Metro and Crysis 2 aren't the only games out there. For most games a 7970 is plenty for 120hz.

Deleted
    Having gone through this last year I can say go for the Dell..

Last year my DELL 2410 went pop after a few years loyal service (IPS 1920 x 1200). I fancied a 120 hz monitor so after reading up I ended up purchasing an Alienware AW2310 120 hz (1080p) 2ms response. First of all you can notice the difference 120 hz makes both in games and on the desktop. But this does not make up for the extra pixels and picture quality my older dell monitor offered. Also you will not notice the difference in the higher response times unless you're a serious FPS gamer.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Are you playing very fast paced FPS games like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament? Then you might consider the 120Hz

Otherwise 16:10 > 16:9

The difference between a 60hz and 120hz screen is minimal, unless you're some kind of leet FPS gamer you'll never even notice the difference, where as a 16:10 resolution is a VERY noticable upgrade from a 16:9.
    Uhh no 16:10 is a downgrade from 16:9 , I am not even sure where you at all came up with this? 16:9 supports insanely higher resolution and was more economic to manufacture i.e it was better in every aspect. So no your not even remotely correct at all.

Now as for 120Hz>60Hz for FPS, this is technically true except a few things with motion blur on and such it is lovely but if you dump blurr 60Hz will do fine. However after watching some live in person 120Hz wow play I can't rightfully say 60Hz anything, it just looks better. This is due to game rendering if it was real life or captured video i.e TV movies you wouldnt notice a difference outside of 30 fps.
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-05-29 at 12:08 PM.

So its the DELL U2412M then, since I wont overclok and only have 1 7970.

Right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanfear1 View Post
    So its the DELL U2412M then, since I wont overclok and only have 1 7970.

Right?
    yes, I would buy that one, too if I had the money.
    Also, amd cards can be OC'd pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocadial View Post
    No.....just no, 120Hz (dual 60Hz phasing) screens are only for using 3D setups. the human eye cannot distinguish frequencies above the 22-26 Hz (depends on the person) anyway as the only thing the eye can "see" above this level is massive shifts in the frequency (caused by screen delay or processing delay). The difference you are describing in looks is attributed to contrast ratio and reaction delay. You need only keep these two in mind as well as your computers hardware (covered already).
    This is the biggest bullshit I have ever read, I have a 120hz screen and I can tell a huge whopping difference when I set it to 60fps instead of my normal 120.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    This is the biggest bullshit I have ever read, I have a 120hz screen and I can tell a huge whopping difference when I set it to 60fps instead of my normal 120.
    can you see a difference in wow or is this only for FPS games? i agree with you when it comes to FPS games such as counter strike, theres a HUGE difference between 60 hz and 120, but when it comes to WoW i honestly can't see a difference

Deleted
    Stick with 16:9 ratio's always. Games are designed around width and not height. The visible height is fixed, and then extended to fit the width of the ratio.
    What this means, is if you have a 16:10 screen, you are not gaining height, you are losing width. What is visible vertically is the same between the 16:10 and 16:9 - but the 16:9 will show more widescreen and give you more horizontal visibility.

Also, clearly 120hz > 60hz. Try to find a good 16:9 120hz and you will be golden.

Im gonna make a new post and add voting, fml for not doing that in the first place (actually thought about it, but thought ppl wouldnt say why they voted what they did)

What screen would you take for wow gaming (if price didnt matter):

My pc: i5 3750 and ONE 7970 gpu

1 1920x1200 and 60hz: Dell 24" LED UltraSharp U2412M

2 1920x1080 and 120hz: BenQ 24" LED XL2420T

10+ Year Old Account
    i see no reason to get 120Hz for wow, however, if price is no option, i would run six 2560x1600 dell u3011 monitors

Haven't you already got 1-2 threads open about this topic?

See: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...120-hz-for-wow

/on topic: I'd take the Dell U24 monitors. Now I think about it, I'd do the same as Cyanotical, and because money is no issue I'd get two 690s and an X79 computer with some kooky cooling system just because I could.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-05-29 at 01:01 PM.

You know what he meant about prices not being a concern. It refers to the 2 options he gave, because he is satisfied with either pricing, he just wants to know why pick one or the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    No. Your first comment just makes you sound ignorant. I can tell you don't own or have even 'tried' a 120hz monitor and I'll get to that in a sec. I own both a 60hz and 120hz monitor and I noticed a difference immediately when I got my Samsung S23A700D, and my old monitor wasn't bad or anything either (it was a Dell Ultrasharp).
    Might wanna check the signature... Samsung 2233RZ IS a 120Hz steroscopic 3D screen.

There IS NO difference in a game like WoW because there is no possible way for it to show. You already spend most of your time in MMO games like WoW waiting for new data for you to be able to update your display. There is absolutely no difference because most of your frames over 50+ are already duplicates.

You clearly wish to push the 120Hz screens because the bigger then number the bigger your e-peen. Your looking for a difference, so you see one, even if it isn't really there.

I very much prefer my IPS display to my 120Hz display. So yes, I can say I have both and I use both.

I guarantee you that if you turn off the FPS counter the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 60FPS and 120FPS. Because it actually has very little to do with FPS/Hz and much more to do with perception.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2012-05-29 at 01:56 PM.

@ Synthaxx ( moderator )

I made a new post to enable poll since everyone here have different opinions, and I wanted a better overview of what people thought
    Sorry

PS if possible, can you make this into a poll?

Also to other people:

- The samsung one is 16:10 not 16:9. Anyone that can perhaps recomend a 16:9 screen? (22-24 inches, just like, nm)
    Last edited by Lanfear1; 2012-05-29 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerion View Post
    can you see a difference in wow or is this only for FPS games? i agree with you when it comes to FPS games such as counter strike, theres a HUGE difference between 60 hz and 120, but when it comes to WoW i honestly can't see a difference
    In MMO's there is less difference but you can still feel that's it smoother.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanfear1 View Post
    @ Synthaxx ( moderator )

I made a new post to enable poll since everyone here have different opinions, and I wanted a better overview of what people thought
    Sorry

PS if possible, can you make this into a poll?

Also to other people:

- The samsung one is 16:10 not 16:9. Anyone that can perhaps recomend a 16:9 screen? (22-24 inches, just like, nm)
    You should be able to edit in the poll yourself, if I remember correctly at least

120hz is better for anything, its faster motion is easier on the eyes. 120hz is a huge upgrade over a 60hz monitor, and its not something you see on a youtube video or nothing. you can only see the difference when you actually focus your eyes on a 120hz monitor

go for the 120!