Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's not a single player game. Diablo is a multiplayer online game series.
    Actually no, it's a game with both multiplayer and single player elements.

Games don't have to be X or Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Here's my stance on the whole mess;

1> Always-online for a single-player game! It's not a single player game. Diablo is a multiplayer online game series. Diablo 3 isn't making a bold new move, just continuing where Diablo 2 left off. When D2 came out, Battle.net's uptime was VERY spotty by today's standards (the uptime issues this week don't hold a candle, really), and broadband internet wasn't the ubiquitous norm. Some people like SOLOING in Diablo, but soloing does not make the game "single-player". You can solo in World of Warcraft too. Characters are stored server-side, so you can access them from any computer you log in from, and your items and characters are all part of the online system, which exists (and has since at least Diablo 2) to eliminate or at least vastly reduce the amount of duping and hacked items that are available, meaning most gear you see is actually legitimately found.
    "You can solo in World of Warcraft too". Oh, you mean to say that if I go to a town in WoW I won't see anyone else right? Nobody else can swoop in and kill my quest mob right? The entire game world only consists of me and other NPC's right?

I hope you can see what a bad idea it is to compare D3 to an actual MMORPG in order to justify it's always-online DRM. When you play Diablo alone (as a lot of people do) your experience is IDENTICAL to what all other singleplayer games offer - just you in your own world, talking to NPC's and killing monsters, collecting items, getting stronger, never seeing another player in the same game world as you. That, by definition, is called a "single player experience". It doesn't matter if your characters are stored server-side, if the data is stored server-side, heck even if the whole GAME is stored server-side - that was completely Blizzard's decision. It's still very much a "single player experience" with completely optional multiplayer. WoW's multiplayer is never optional.

For example, if your Skyrim characters/data existed only on Bethesda servers and you had to log in and stay online to play, would that justify that kind of DRM? Heck no. Even if Skyrim had multiplayer where you had the option to join others on quests, it STILL wouldn't justify having to stay online if you wanted to just play the damn game by yourself. Bethesda would've been crucified if they had tried to pull such a thing. Blizzard gets away with it. Forcing people to remain online "just in case they want to play multiplayer" while hammering them with server lag, server downtime, disconnects, etc is unforgivable. But since it's Blizzard, we'll let it slip.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-31 at 11:22 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    A few points were wrong but most were correct. Then again I can't respect his opinion on a PC game when his can barely run D3. Next I will take a review on BF3 from a person who plays console...
    If he reviewed BF3 it would be only about the campaign because he despises multiplayer, so it wouldn't matter if it was on a console or not

Also he has a better PC, he just happened to play D3 on a shit laptop, which he mentioned because it was relevant
    Unf - Night Watch - Pagle

Consider the ocean waves, and how the moon's force guides them this way and that across the earth's surface. Human life is an insane coincidence. We are an instance of the universe becoming conscious of itself, yes, old news but always worth review.

Eh I usually like Yatzee, and I agree with him about the grind getting boring and the game being so easy for so long, but there were just some things he got so utterly incorrect that this review was kind of meh. Like saying the other player was going to nick all the good drops.

10+ Year Old Account
    yahtzee is one of those guys you need to take with A LOT of salt XD but he always make fun and great reviews.

No Tusk Club.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faklor View Post
    To summarize it, he doesn't like the genre because he doesn't like shiny pants. (and he didn't even know about elective mode)
    I'm with him on Elective mode. I played the original press beta before the new skill system, and someone had to tell me about elective mode near the end of the beta because I didn't keep up to date on the patchnotes or get the random in-game hint about it. They could have easily given you a mandatory explanation of the two different systems and either told you how to activate elective mode or have you pick one of the modes the first time you play. Instead they just default you into the handholding mode without giving you any obvious indication that you can switch, and I don't think that was the best way to handle it.

That said, I haven't watched the video yet (me missing a ZP episode by one day, blasphemy!), so I'm gonna go enjoy it now

Edit:
    Yep, entertaining as usual. Yahtzee doesn't disappoint.
    Last edited by mmoc2e3dee3473; 2012-05-31 at 02:59 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For every person that says "Diablo is not a Single player game, just because you can do Solo, since you can Solo in WoW!!!"

No, You can't Solo all content in WoW, You can level to max level in WoW Solo, but you cannot beat raid Bosses solo (within their current progression) Yet you can beat EVERY aspect of Diablo 3 whilst Solo (excluding co-op achieves).

Therefore It is a game with both Singleplayer and Multiplayer capabilities which is a very good reason for people to be pissed about getting lag solo.

OT: <3 Yahtzee, hes also pretty cool guy IRL from the time I got to meet him.

Deleted
    So funny!

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    He got pretty far into the game without elective mode, obviously not very bright. I checked that button before even being able to play the game.

But yeah, if you don't get the genre, it's not for you.. And his obsession with pants is a bit weird, not sure what's going on with that, he might need some therapy after playing diablo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post
    He got pretty far into the game without elective mode, obviously not very bright. I checked that button before even being able to play the game.
    There's very little in D3 that suggests elective mode even exists, I only know about it because I read an interview a few months before release but it's something I could have very easilly missed. Even if you see "Elective Mode" in the options it offers very little clue as to what it does, and when switched on the UI for setting up spells doesn't make it obvious that something has changed.

But yeah, if you don't get the genre, it's not for you.. And his obsession with pants is a bit weird, not sure what's going on with that, he might need some therapy after playing diablo 3.
    It's Yahtzee's way of describing gear-grind in games, he also describes MMO combat as "taking it in turns to kick each other in the shins, and whoever has the biggest boots wins".

Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    I'm with him on Elective mode. I played the original press beta before the new skill system, and someone had to tell me about elective mode near the end of the beta because I didn't keep up to date on the patchnotes or get the random in-game hint about it.
    Hey, I don't have D3 yet, but I wanted to keep up with stuff. What's elective mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    Hey, I don't have D3 yet, but I wanted to keep up with stuff. What's elective mode?
    Spells have categories (primary, secondary, defensive, archery etc.), by default each of those binds to a particular control (primary = lmb, secondary = rmb, defensive = 1 etc.) Elective mode allows you to assign any ability to any key, so you could have all primary and secondary attacks with no defense or utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    sounds like totalbiscuit speeded 100x , cant understand what hes talking about ^^
    He is generally awesome but on occasion falls down.

I did like the "groin focused carpet bombing" quip. One of his best ones was Halo Wars, mainly for this comments at the end. His review of Cataclysm was very good and directed a little too close to home for some people and he did a bang up job on SWTOR. The way you tell he hit particularly hard is when the fanbois of the title react very badly towards him.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Hehe, 0 Punctuation is usually bang on. I enjoy D3 quite a bit but he's sorta hilariously correct in his assessment. Couldn't hear the vid over my own laughter. XD

As funny as Yahtzee's reviews are, he's kind of bad when it comes to actually playing games that aren't first person shooters.

Most of his reviews are "first impressions" and he rarely goes on the finish games, as he states at the start of this review and he confesses regularly that he hates MMOs and RPGs, so his reviews are never really impartial.

Having said that, I still laugh at his jokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    As funny as Yahtzee's reviews are, he's kind of bad when it comes to actually playing games that aren't first person shooters.

Most of his reviews are "first impressions" and he rarely goes on the finish games, as he states at the start of this review and he confesses regularly that he hates MMOs and RPGs, so his reviews are never really impartial.

Having said that, I still laugh at his jokes.
    He doesn't hate MMOs, in a few reviews (including the Cata one) he goes on about how he really likes WoW, but dislikes the amount of time it takes to achieve anything and worries they'll just suck his life away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Spells have categories (primary, secondary, defensive, archery etc.), by default each of those binds to a particular control (primary = lmb, secondary = rmb, defensive = 1 etc.) Elective mode allows you to assign any ability to any key, so you could have all primary and secondary attacks with no defense or utility.
    Oh, that's what my friends were talking about. I guess it would've been a great idea to give a warning about that option when making your second character or having your first playthrough through normal.

general rule of thumb for yahtzee is that if he says like 1 good thing, he liked the game :P
    He bashes everything it's just his general way of reviewing that's so fun to watch, to a viewer of his for years, I'd say he enjoyed it really, even though it's not the typical genre that he likes to play.
    Last edited by pocky_rin; 2012-05-31 at 05:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love that guy, he's freaking hilarious.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

15+ Year Old Account
    LOL he didn't know about Elective Mode?
    A noob reviewing this game has zero value