Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Just started Ret and was wondering...

Will the initial panic feeling go away after playing ret for a long time or do the majority of rets sorta panic when this happens? Like i ran up to the dummy read guides and was like alright time to do a dps check popped cooldowns and bam EVERYTHING lit up...I was just backpeddled and looked at all the spells like wtf lol. Never seen a dps class with so many procs like that.

Edit: If the picture isn't that clear, the picture is showing like 6 spells lit up.

thats mean u should catc..press them all!
    well if u read guide u should of know ur rotation and what to press in what order,
    and remove world of glory from panel u don't really need it, except u pvp

10+ Year Old Account
    Four of the six are all one proc. :P Once you get used to that, you can pretty much just ignore all of the glowing borders.

Word of Glory, Templar's Verdict, Zealotry, and Inquisition are all from Divine Purpose.
    Hammer of Wrath glows up when you use Avenging Wrath or the opponent's health is >20%.
    Exorcism is from Art of War.

Its not a lot once you think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    HAH! i had the same problem when i moved to cataret, but eventually you get used to it, just seperate them on your bars and know what you need when you need it

As they said, those aren't 6 different procs. You can breathe again. All the glowy borders used to mess with me too - kept dragging my eyes down to my bars instead of up where they should be. If you replace the dragged-from-spellbook buttons with a macro, the glowy thing stops. Then you just have the notification icons around your character showing when something procs, and your bars don't have a seizure every time you smack a target dummy.

Macro that does exactly what the spellbook version does (but without glowiness):
    #showtooltip SpellName
    /cast SpellName

Replace SpellName with the actual spell name. It might not be a bad idea to add a third line with /startattack, but that isn't required.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same experience when I went ret for the first time in cata. Was like, "k, ret's always been faceroll, so it can't be that...WTF". It's overwhelming at first, but it's not difficult once you get comfortable with the spec. This is my priority system:

Keep Inquisition up> (3 charge) Templar's Verdict> Crusader Strike > Exorcism > Hammer of Wrath> Judgement

Divine Purpose is the proc that's lighting up your TV, WoG, Zealotry, and Inquisition, which allows any of those to be used as if you had 3 holy power. Since you normally pop Zealotry right away and you don't use WoG unless it's an emergency, you have two choices: ToV and Inquisition.
    Hammer of Wrath can be used any time during Avenging Wrath, but is low on the priority ladder, so nothing to freak out about.
    The exorcism proc is an instant exorcism from talents and has decent priority.
    Look! Words!

Deleted
    Don't worry mate, it's easy to get used to. If you're having trouble go with one of the clc addons and that will make all confusion go away.

Thanks! Paladin forums are a lot nicer then other class forums lol.I been working on the rotation a little bit and i'm getting used to it. Its just all the glowing that throws me off sometimes.

I have a question though when i pop wings and zealotry if my inquisition is already up i should be just spamming crusader strike then temp verdict and using hammer of wrath as a filler until crusader strike comes off cooldown and completely ignore exorcism and everything else until they end or just go through the normal rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by JonBeMerkin View Post
    Thanks! Paladin forums are a lot nicer then other class forums lol.I been working on the rotation a little bit and i'm getting used to it. Its just all the glowing that throws me off sometimes.

I have a question though when i pop wings and zealotry if my inquisition is already up i should be just spamming crusader strike then temp verdict and using hammer of wrath as a filler until crusader strike comes off cooldown and completely ignore exorcism and everything else until they end or just go through the normal rotation?
    Frost DKs have a nice glow going on in the action bars too. But yeah while the confusion of all those lit up spells might go away, I'm somtimes still messing up my priorities (I only play casually maybe a random heroic once in a while or so, proper constant practice would probably eliminate that) especially when under zealotry and wings and then having Divine Purpose chain proc I don't even need AoW to proc for me to fumble at least once.

But don't ignore exorcism. Exorcism with the AoW proc is awesome. Check the current priority lists for what to prefer, I haven't checked in quite a while :/
    Last edited by Samin; 2012-05-30 at 07:51 PM.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, you don't want to outright ignore everything else. Unless you're also Bloodlusted you'll still have gaps that need to be filled. I believe the priority for Zealotry is 3HPTV > CS > DPTV > HoW > AoWExorcism > Judgement. If you're not Bloodlusted it should look something like TV > CS > TV > HoW > CS > TV > (something) > CS > TV > HoW, etc. If you are Bloodlusted or have another haste buff (such as on Madness) then it's just gonna be TV > CS > TV > CS > TV ad nauseaum.

There's an addin you can get to help wIth your rotation. I believe it is called clcret. I have used it end game, works fine for leveling though. I'm sure when I get used to playing a pally I can get rid of it but it is a good start.

It can be overwhelming to begin with, the transition from WotLK ret to cataclysm wasnt very smooth, becouse procs and stuff is flying at you left, right and center, and your UI lights up like a christmas tree, you're not used to this. It can take some time to get the hang of it, but it's not very hard though.

And yeah, PROCS!! Get used to them, you are going to get a lot of them, and knowing when to use them and what to prioritize is key.
    There is this thing called being so open-minded your brains fall out.

-Richard Dawkins

Deleted

[...]

Edit: If the picture isn't that clear, the picture is showing like 6 spells lit up.
    That's the perfect moment to slam your face in the keyboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Deschajn View Post
    Divine Purpose procs are NO time to write the Twilight series.

Quote Originally Posted by Deschajn View Post
    hahah idd! first time that joke actually fit in to faceroll
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Alright i think i got ret down its actually pretty easy and fun once you learn it. Just one question though, what seal do i use for dpsing 3 targets and do i divine storm or just single target?

Divine storm only on 4+ mobs, and you can still use truth to keep dots running on 3 targets, make a focus judgement macro to keep it up on 1 and just tab between the other 2.
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

You can actually use a very simple interface with just basic tracking on divine purpose, trinkets and holy power, here is somewhat my current setup, its a bit cleaner now.

My macro

#showtooltip Zealotry
    /cast Rotting skull
    /cast Ruthless Gladiator's Badge of Victory
    /use Golemblood Potion
    /cast Avenging Wrath
    /cast Zealotry
    /cast Templar's Verdict

- Asuming you have Inq on, use it when your gcd is off. You only need to press once.
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC