Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    Blizzard could use some of that $$ to get it free on EVERY type of phone, paying an additional cost to buying the game, just so you can REDUCE THE RISK of having your game ruined is ridiculous, its like them selling you a car without an alarm/locks, no no no you have to pay an extra $5 for that my friend!.
    Its like being at a restraunt and you buying some food, they give you the food, but if you want to "reduce the chance of someone spitting in your food" you can pay the extra $5.
    I know these analogies are flawed, but you get my point, and while there are many many retards who get hacked because of their own fault, it is very "fanboy-esque" to say that blizzard are doing all they can.

A little off topic note: Once i got hacked on wow, but the Hackers made a ticket, complained i got hacked, and then got given all my stuff back, which they then took again, simply because blizzard (after knowing i had been hacked) didnt think it worth doing some security checks to the person on my account 5 mins after the initial hack. My point being they really dont care about your security because (Conspiricy tin foil hat moment ..) the more fustrated you get with being hacked, the more likely you are to buy an authenticator.
    (And yes i do own an authenticator).
    Just my thoughts.
    It is free for smartphone. Why would you devolp something when you can't put apps on a normal phone?
    (If you can put apps on a normal phone most people won't know/want to do it anyways.)

Do you know most cars don't come with a alarm installed? If it DOES have one you pay extra for it.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Someone whose sub-title thing is "I cover when video games and business collide" not hearing about one of the most positive steps forward in security from one of the Gaming industries' biggest companies.

He's still not very good at his job then.
    *clap* Exactly. You would think this would be something, default he would know, seeing as his Story history covers WOW, SC, Diablo and TOR, All of which use authenticators....

OH and he uses Metacritic as a factual source in some of his shit.....
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    I completely agree, but they could hand out all the "free" authenticators they want and people would still get their accounts compromised. When asked "How?" they will just say they didn't want to attach it to their account and go to the blame game. Blizzard can only do so much on their end to secure accounts. The rest is up to the user.

Turn the authenticator number into the number you fill in when you validate the game (for those that already have an authenticator there will be another code hidden in the manual that nobody bothers to read anyway but instructions will be on the site on how to get there)

Ofcourse that removes the choise option so yeah that might be a point of not going to happen..
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2012-05-30 at 07:17 PM.

Making authenticators mandatory would be possible but dear God, the shitstorm that would evoke...

The only thing dumber than that article are some of the comments in this thread.

Deleted
    Blizzard could use some of that $$ to get it free on EVERY type of phone, paying an additional cost to buying the game, just so you can REDUCE THE RISK of having your game ruined is ridiculous, its like them selling you a car without an alarm/locks, no no no you have to pay an extra $5 for that my friend!
    The app requires an operating system to work which your brick phone does not have, although they do provide an SMS service they don't claim it to be as secure as an authenticator. If Blizzard were to release MoP without an authenticator for £30 and a box with MoP and an authenticator for £40 what do you think would sell the most, even in the wake of all this Diablo 3 hacking coverage?

10+ Year Old Account
    You’re telling me there’s nothing you can do to prevent this? That no alarm bells should go off in-game when a character is stripped of everything it owns, an entire stash is emptied and a gold pile is depleted to zero? How about when such a drastic thing occurs, you prompt whoever’s doing it to answer my security question? Or respond to an email in my inbox? Who on earth would ever ditch an entire character’s gear and gold and have that not be a hacker at play?
    Me. I've done it twice to my own WoW account. I "quit" once and sold everything, then gave the gold to the guild. Second time I removed all my alts because I felt I didn't have time for them any more (I learned not to do that). I didn't delete them immediately. Instead, I stripped each one, DE'd and sold the gear, and gave the gold to the guild.

The stripping process takes time. It's something that I feel cannot be caught by an automated measure. A real person needs to see it and by then...'tis too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    Turn the authenticator number into the number you fill in when you validate the game (for those that already have an authenticator there will be another code hidden in the manual that nobody bothers to read anyway but instructions will be on the site on how to get there)

Ofcourse that removes the choise option so yeah that might be a point of not going to happen..
    Exactly. The impending internet riots over making it mandatory would be huge lol. Sad but true.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    Lol... it's not about being a fanboy, but wtf... how is blizzard supposed yo "use some billions" to enhance security?? blizzard servers are NOT getting hacked, people get their passwords robbed, and how is blizzard supposed to know it's somebody else using the password?? they already block your account if you log in from another IP, so what else can be done?? authenticator is there for anyone to buy it or a free download for a smartphone... people need to grow up and take responsabilities.-
    Actually I disagree wholely, I used to play Lineage 2 and never not ONCE got hacked and had my accounts stripped. So how is it that NCSoft which btw is 1000x worse in customer service can protect their clients accounts but blizzard can't? I'm sorry I could say with almost 95% garuntee that if your account got "Hacked" in Lineage 2 its because you did something stupid like but on Facebook what school you went to in high school, or your first car pictures, or something that GAVE AWAY YOUR SECRET QUESTION ANSWERS!!!! The other 5% are lying and didn't get hacked but only shared the account with someone else as I would say 75% of all Lineage 2 players did with other people and someone got pissed and stripped your account. You know what NCSoft did when you "Shared" accounts? OH FUCKING WELL!! Which is the way it should be you share with someone then you risk losing it all, NCSoft actually banned botters unlike most of Blizzard does nothing. I know I lost over 11 accounts to botting in NCSoft and I was a very smart botter and profittable out the ass. So I'm Sorry BLIZZARD SHOULD DO SOMETHING about security, before I had a authenticator I have two account on WoW and both were hacked while inactive, I have never bought gold, I do not have anything on facebook that shows I play WoW or anything else so you tell me how they got my user name *Email Addy* to know? Now mind you this was while both accounts were inactive then a whole MONTH later they got banned and I got a email telling me my accounts were banned which I called up and got them unbanned because I was back playing Lineage 2. They could tell it was a Chinesse IP Address and credit card that paid for it so they gave me the accounts back and that is when I put a mobile auth on my account when they first came out. Even with a Mobile Auth about 3 months ago my 1st account that was inactive was hacked again *2 years after the 1st time* and was again banned with a Mobile Auth on. While on the phone I asked the Customer Service Rep point blank "How can they log in without my Auth Code" the responce was staggering. "They can bypass security messures and the mobile auth isn't a end all solution and you can't 100% rely on that to keep you safe!" I was like umm wtf? How can I not rely on the mobile auth to secure my account when its suppose to see a login from a totally different IP than my normal one and prompt for it? So Yes again THEY NEED TO SECURE THEIR SYSTEMS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    - Gets account compromised on HIS OWN END.

- Blames Blizzard for bad secuity.

Another internet rookie people, nothing new.
    Yeah lol, can't believe he is blaming Blizzard, whom have to my knowledge, never had a security breach on their end.

Authenticator - basically 100% proof.

I have never even used an authenticator and I've never been hacked (and never will be).

Internet rookie indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcD3vil View Post
    Actually I disagree wholely, I used to play Lineage 2 and never not ONCE got hacked and had my accounts stripped. So how is it that NCSoft which btw is 1000x worse in customer service can protect their clients accounts but blizzard can't? I'm sorry I could say with almost 95% garuntee that if your account got "Hacked" in Lineage 2 its because you did something stupid like but on Facebook what school you went to in high school, or your first car pictures, or something that GAVE AWAY YOUR SECRET QUESTION ANSWERS!!!! The other 5% are lying and didn't get hacked but only shared the account with someone else as I would say 75% of all Lineage 2 players did with other people and someone got pissed and stripped your account. You know what NCSoft did when you "Shared" accounts? OH FUCKING WELL!! Which is the way it should be you share with someone then you risk losing it all, NCSoft actually banned botters unlike most of Blizzard does nothing. I know I lost over 11 accounts to botting in NCSoft and I was a very smart botter and profittable out the ass. So I'm Sorry BLIZZARD SHOULD DO SOMETHING about security, before I had a authenticator I have two account on WoW and both were hacked while inactive, I have never bought gold, I do not have anything on facebook that shows I play WoW or anything else so you tell me how they got my user name *Email Addy* to know? Now mind you this was while both accounts were inactive then a whole MONTH later they got banned and I got a email telling me my accounts were banned which I called up and got them unbanned because I was back playing Lineage 2. They could tell it was a Chinesse IP Address and credit card that paid for it so they gave me the accounts back and that is when I put a mobile auth on my account when they first came out. Even with a Mobile Auth about 3 months ago my 1st account that was inactive was hacked again *2 years after the 1st time* and was again banned with a Mobile Auth on. While on the phone I asked the Customer Service Rep point blank "How can they log in without my Auth Code" the responce was staggering. "They can bypass security messures and the mobile auth isn't a end all solution and you can't 100% rely on that to keep you safe!" I was like umm wtf? How can I not rely on the mobile auth to secure my account when its suppose to see a login from a totally different IP than my normal one and prompt for it? So Yes again THEY NEED TO SECURE THEIR SYSTEMS!!!
    Remember that Blizzard is so popular - WoW and Diablo so widely used, that accounts are targeted due to the incredible profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrcD3vil View Post
    So Yes again THEY NEED TO SECURE THEIR SYSTEMS!!!
    But it is YOUR system that is being compromised.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by RunItsTheFuz View Post
    The overwhelming attitude on the forums is one of anger (most of it unfounded by petulant, self entitled children)
    And when someone tries to argue a counter point they're accused of being fan boys and eating paint. You claim that you want a discussion, but do everything possible to destroy it before it occurs.
    Completely agree. Although "forums" might as well be changed to "Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    Blizzard could use some of that $$ to get it free on EVERY type of phone, paying an additional cost to buying the game, just so you can REDUCE THE RISK of having your game ruined is ridiculous, its like them selling you a car without an alarm/locks, no no no you have to pay an extra $5 for that my friend!.
    Its like being at a restraunt and you buying some food, they give you the food, but if you want to "reduce the chance of someone spitting in your food" you can pay the extra $5.
    I know these analogies are flawed, but you get my point, and while there are many many retards who get hacked because of their own fault, it is very "fanboy-esque" to say that blizzard are doing all they can.

A little off topic note: Once i got hacked on wow, but the Hackers made a ticket, complained i got hacked, and then got given all my stuff back, which they then took again, simply because blizzard (after knowing i had been hacked) didnt think it worth doing some security checks to the person on my account 5 mins after the initial hack. My point being they really dont care about your security because (Conspiricy tin foil hat moment ..) the more fustrated you get with being hacked, the more likely you are to buy an authenticator.
    (And yes i do own an authenticator).
    Just my thoughts.
    My responses to your post in reverse order:

And that $0 or $6.50 really adds up, especially after design, production and shipping!

I can state anecdotal evidence as well; that doesn't prove anything.

It's very (whatever the opposite of fanboy is) to get this worked up over you and others who cannot or will not secure their things. But, if Blizzard really can do more, what do you suggest? The only thing brought up in this thread or others like it (that I have seen) is give everyone free authenticators. They've done the next-best thing and asking them to cover your expense on the physical item is pushing it a bit, don't you think?

If you paid Blizzard extra to not hack your account on their own, then yes, your analogy would be flawed but close enough. As is, it's really no relation. The car (WoW in this example) has locks (the password and email address). If you want the car alarm (which hasn't been standard on any of the 4 cars (all newer than 2000) I've purchased), you pay extra. And not even costs + profit extra like with your analogy, just the cost.

Some of what money, exactly? The money they get from providing an incredibly popular product and service goes to paying the people who work on it, overhead and then to the company's profit. The money they get from the physical authenticator goes to paying to have it made.

My responses to other general complaints from this thread:
    Other MMOs that might provide a free mobile authenticator do not even have the option of a physical one to my knowledge. And I can't think of a F2P MMO that has any kind of security beyond the password and login name.

Is it fanboyism to see someone else make a mistake, not want to take the blame and lash out at someone else and then to not get ravenously outraged on the person's behalf? Is it whatever we decided was the reverse of fanboyism to immediately claim Blizzard is at fault?

But, really, if you think your account with your credit card information is so insecure, why do you continue to maintain it? Clearly your well-thought strategy of arguing on internet forums isn't working to make the account any more secure.

TL;DR: Blizzard has made more of an effort than most any other similar company out there. If you don't think it's enough, what might be done beyond refunding your $6.50?

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    While Im no fanboi, Blizzard did just that. It was the free authenticator app for smart phones. If you dont have a smart phone then you need to buy the keyfob. If you dont want either then you take the risk and watch your ass. Simple as that.

Plus saying he didnt know about the authenticator? Im calling BS considering Blizzard plasters it all over their website, account sites, and game launchers for not one but three different games.
    So no matter what you have to use extra money to get some shitty item that won't enhance security?, and i don't know any one that uses a smartphone, since most i know has a brain.

Blizzard should hand it out free really.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    So no matter what you have to use extra money to get some shitty item that won't enhance security?, and i don't know any one that uses a smartphone, since most i know has a brain.

Either Denmark is full of poor people (it isn't), or there are some weird customs in that part of Europe I'm not familiar with.

I can't honestly say I even know one person without a smartphone.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

The mobile one is free. They could have easily charged 0.99 for it. The keyfob is at cost. Blizzard is a business not a charity, where did you get this entitlement that it should be free? Their servers are secure, it's the end user's that are not.

What strikes me the most about a lot of comments (not so much here) is the severe lack of personal responsibility. It's always somebody's else's fault.

Just because you don't know anyone that has a smartphone doesn't mean there isn't a large chunk of the population using a smartphone that also plays Blizzard games. What exactly does "having a brain" have to do with owning a smartphone? There are plenty of reasons why people use them instead of a standard flip phone with no frills. Also, it's a free app on a smartphone you don't pay extra for a product. How exactly does an authenticator NOT enhance security to your account? It provides MORE security to your account opposed to an account not having one. To me, that's "enhancing security." If you think it's such a bad product then why would you even want one for free?
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Stopped reading after that. If you're not going to bother securing your account, you obviously don't care that much about its contents.
    yep thats gun owners say...

That must be a Denmark trait because here in the USA, around 90% of the people I know have a smartphone. I was hacked twice prior to setting up my mobile(FREE) authenticator. Ever since zero nada zipp. I also have a mobile authenticator for my gmail account(Which is my bnet e-mail) for an extra layer of security. You can never be to safe. As for handing the authenticator out for free, the app is 100% completely free, if you cannot afford a smart phone(no idea how) than surely you can save the 6.50 you spent on a big mac and purchase yourself the physical authenticator. Are you going to go complain at gmail now for using a mobile authenticator as well...I don't think so get over yourself.

Any to add to the forbes response, I worked in IT for 3 years with a paid proffesional malware searching system and still malware would get by it, if your not working off the pentagons virus scan something is bound to get through FYI. Secure your account for the love of all thats holy and stop whining.