Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Couple of things.
    1. Diablo 3 is one giant cliche, the story is balls.
    2. I already played D2, same thing.
    3. It isn't really random at all, aside from the crap loot system and the dungeon that may or may not be open sometimes.

Your opinion is that the game is great, and I respect that and hope you are happy playing it. I however hope that blizz maybe puts a little more thought into the story and gameplay of future titles, rather than constantly going straight for the totally expected plot twist and the "age of mortals" endings.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Deleted
    There are many more roguelike games with even more randomization and complexity than diablo

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Second of all, because you believe diablo 3 was "free" you value the game less than if you paid the measily $60 dollars to get it.
    I paid around $130AU for the Diablo Collector's and I can tell you right now I don't value D3 that much at all as I called it quits at level 53 due to a distinct lack of fun.

I feel the game is far from where it should of been, the crafting is shallow and boring, the classes feel incredibly limited in their variety, playing through the game past normal feels like your character is not progressing due to the structured way runes and abilities unlock (personally I think a well designed spec tree offers a greater sense of advancement).
    The story was waaaay to predictable which ruined my carefactor for the game (may be a fault of mine as I get bored with movies due to predictable stories).

I have ranted to my friends many times how I think Diablo could of been improved in small ways but I will stop myself before I go too far.

Anyway on topic, Games better than D3? Subjectively speaking of games in the same genre Titan Quest, I played the shit out of that game and played through it again recently, the class variety in it is second to none for an ARPG, looking forward to Grim Dawn (totally backed that shit).

Otherwise the game I probably sunk more hours into than any and loved every moment of it, Balder's Gate 2.

15+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy VII 10 million copies
    Final Fantasy VIII 8.15 million copies
    Final Fantasy IX 5.30 million copies
    Final Fantasy X 6.6 million copies
    Final Fantasy XII 5.2 million copies

Now that is some sick shit
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    LOL what the fuck dude, are you serious??? if anybody signed the AP just to get D3, that person really needs to be in a mental hospital, why would someone with half a brain pay $180 to get a game they could have just bought for $60?? annual pass was meant for people that already had decided they would continue playing wow for another year... so yes, D3 was free for the people that understood what the AP was for.
    It's a strange line of thinking indeed. I guess this guy just can't stand the fact that a lot of people actually enjoy World of warcraft. Pretty sad actually. I signed for the AP the second it became available for several reasons, haven't regretted it once. But then I also took the time to READ the contract :d. By my calculations (simple enough) I have paid the exact same amount for these months that I would have without the AP. I will do the same for the rest of the years that this game is around, with or without annual pass offers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linaver View Post
    Better in what way? There are plenty of terrific games in the history of pc gaming, depending on your taste some will be better for you than D3.

If you're arguing for D3 being the best game of all time then I suggest you give up, it's a lost cause.
    It's a very good game, blizzard knows their stuff.

For me personally Dragon Age, Halo series, Mass effect 1/2 are some of my favorites. If we're talking about older games then I enjoyed NWN, Freelancer, Homeworld, kotors, half life, aoe: aok more than D3, but I still like it.
    NVN kept me entertained for easily 5 years. i absolutely loved the crap out of that game.

My votes for best game of all time:

FF2&3 (american 3)
    Secret and Legend of Mana
    Legend of Zelda
    FF Tactics
    X-Com UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep
    Heroes of Might and Magic - All of them!
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms
    Never Winter Nights + All xpacs
    Wing Commander
    Sonic and Mario (most of them)
    All 2D Castlevania's
    Super Metroid
    Golden Eye
    Perfect Dark
    Doom Quake
    Wolfenstein 3D
    X-Men Arcade Game
    Simpsons Arcade
    SNK VS ALL
    Street Fighter 2
    Pokemon (any color)
    GTA: SA
    Diablo 1 (cause honestly that game started a genre of dungeon crawlers for the masses.)

This list should prolly go to a top 100

But i honestly think these games have far more replay value than Diablo 3. These games are iconic and i will always be able to turn around and play them with out having to worry about if the servers are still active or if they are still supported.

yes. World of Warcraft.

Lineage Eternal looks like fun - massive battles and your character kicks butt.

Go to about 1min in on this video to see what I mean.

*looks at list*
    Skyrim
    WoW
    SWtoR
    Guild Wars
    Rift
    Oblivion
    Morrowind
    GTA
    Saint's Row
    Starcraft
    League of Legends

I could go on but I believe that's a short list of games that people would argue are better than Diablo 3
    edit:
    Diablo 2 <.<

10+ Year Old Account
    You obviously haven't played Bastion/Binding of Isaac.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think that D3 will be as successfull as D2 was.. from the addicting point of view. There is no ladder and leveling stops at lvl 60. So the hardcore Gamers who manage to kill the final boss on inferno either by Skill or glitching will loose ambition after "completing" the game. There is no Timesink like "I wanna be lvl 99 even if it takes forever" or "I wanna be higher than the other (Class) Guy in the ladder". I think Blizzard should add lvl 70 wich will take forever and isnt required at all but is a real Goal to aim for.

Also with Blizzards "Rares are the way to go Philosopy" there is no mark when your char is finished. Rares are so random and the stats are not fixed so its hard to know if you reached the ultimate Breakpoint. I know a Guy who farmed D2 for years to get the BIS Gear just "to be perfect" He got all the Stuff with perfect Stats, High Runes and some Ultra Rares with very optimal stats. When he equippted his last piece he knew that he was done... and started another char to do it all over again.
    Now you may have good gear and may be pleased with yourself but there is no real Goal of Improvement to reach if the Gear is OK.

Also there should be extremly hard special Events like Übertrist or Diabloclone wich cant be don in a few days to keep the Players occupied
    Last edited by Uriel; 2012-05-31 at 12:44 AM.

If not AP and lack of decent games out there, I wouldn't buy it.

I didn't play D3 that much really and atm in Inferno. Game feels like neverending cycle of repeating same Acts over and over. And while not being able to find loot for myself, and have to rely on AH, it becomes boring to grind gold, gold and gold. Sure SK 1-shotting you was "fun" and nuking him only when bubble is up as monk was also "fun". But being 2-shotted by goatmen archers in next quests is just boring. Gear to survive it costs quite a huge amounts of gold and it is hard to convince myself I really want to grind gold for it to kill Diablo on 4th difficulty level. Playing D3 while there are no other decent modern games around, there is hope someone will make decent D3 clone which would have proper longevity, no AH-based loot system and have offline mode ofc.

OP, if you didn't play Dungeon Siege II, I'd recommend it (together with Broken World expansion). Actually even some D3 ideas were taken directly out of that game (while that game got some ideas from Blizzard's products), e.g. treasure goblins. If not some bugs and if game wouldn't be rushed to release, that game would beat D3.

P.S.: And game imho too randomized outside of loot as well. I liked the way Diablo II was made - maps were random, but they were saved from session to session. Dungeons were random, but you didn't have to relog 16 times to get one of random dungeons to pop up, as all optional dungeons were accessible without need to relog 10 times 9and perhaps it also played a role in feeling that D2 preLoD was actually longer than current RNG-mess D3).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    *looks at list*
    Skyrim
    WoW
    SWtoR
    Guild Wars
    Rift
    Oblivion
    Morrowind
    GTA
    Saint's Row
    Starcraft
    League of Legends

I could go on but I believe that's a short list of games that people would argue are better than Diablo 3
    edit:
    Diablo 2 <.<
    Not that any of the games that you listed are bad, but i'd like to think that with the catagory of "best game of all time" would have more games that are more than 10 years old. But i agree that 90% of what you listed are better candidates than Diablo 3 is. LoL and SC are not my favorite games = )
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2012-05-31 at 12:45 AM. Reason: BTW! I love D3, not a hater what so ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Not that any of the games that you listed are bad, but i'd like to think that with the catagory of "best game of all time" would have more games that are more than 10 years old. But i agree that 90% of what you listed are better candidates than Diablo 3 is. LoL and SC are not my favorite games = )
    If it's games that are more than 10 years old it's really just nostalgia kicking in.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing Chrono Trigger at the moment as well as D3, Trigger hands down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    If it's games that are more than 10 years old it's really just nostalgia kicking in.
    would the fact that nostalgia even exists not signify that it was a great game to begin with?

If it was solely nostalgia i wouldn't be able to stomach sitting through weeks if not months of playing those old games through again from beginning to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Linaver View Post
    SC2 is the most competitive e-sport out there bar none. D3 is on a high roll right now following the release, in the long run it will never beat SC2.

Personally D3 was the first diablo game I really played. I've played it for 100+ hours now with an awesome group of friends and really enjoyed the game. But I've soloed act II and solo (and later coop) killed belial on inferno, essentially the hardest part of the game, and I'm already looking at other games. It was fun and I'm ready to move on. The only thing keeping me in D3 right now is that auction house trade not across a single realm but an entire region is a fun game in its own right.
    the fact that you refer to a boss that is simply a ping check / requires an IQ over 100 as "essentially the hardest part of the game" discredits everything you typed.

Not necessarily, there were many Final Fantasy and Zelda games that could easily be in a "best games" list.

I enjoyed the heck out of Zork, whatcha talkin bout.