10+ Year Old Account

Internet connection no longer working

So, I ran Microsoft Security Essentials in an attempt to clean my computer of potential infections and whatnot. It found something in the tdx.sys filem, which it promptly quarantined (MSE seemed to think there was a trojan in the file). Then, as the program requested, I rebooted my computer, and since then it cannot get an internet connection. It seems to hang up specifically on identifying the network.
    (I have since uninstalled MSE, to be sure that it wasn't some sort of firewall issue)

In fact, now that I check it, it isn't seeing any other computer on the network either, so it's not even connecting to it.

I have already tried downloading the network adapter drivers from another computer (xferred through USB drive) to re-install them, but that didn't do the trick. Doing some googling around, I've seen other people have internet connectivity issues when this file gets infected or deleted somehow, but I haven't found anything that actually solves the problem.

And it does appear that this tdx.sys file is missing from the drivers folder. Any suggestions?

Note: Running Windows 7 32-bit, and according to the device manager I've got the Realtek PCIe GBE family controller as a network adapter. Yes, this is in regards to a wired networking issue - don't have any other network adapter, wireless or otherwise.

Connection was fine until I rebooted after MSE did something with the tdx.sys file.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-31 at 06:58 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    do a system restore to earlier point in time. Each update you do basically creates a restore point so go back say a week ago and run Essentails again if it finds go back further till your essentails wont find that thing if u go say like 3 months back and its still there then back up your data and do a full system restore.

If u have more questions feel free to PM me

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gnlogic View Post
    do a system restore to earlier point in time. Each update you do basically creates a restore point so go back say a week ago and run Essentails again if it finds go back further till your essentails wont find that thing if u go say like 3 months back and its still there then back up your data and do a full system restore.

If u have more questions feel free to PM me
    Not sure when or why, let alone who, but apparently system restore is turned off on this machine.

I wonder what I'd have to do to replace that tdx.sys file... Would rather not have to format the hard drive and start from scratch, considering how much work that entails. Having no network connection makes it harder to back-up important files, as well. I should probably go find my Win7 discs either way.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-31 at 07:17 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

i believe you can transfer with copy paste the tdx.sys file from another clean computer and paste it into your current non functioning internet computer

C:\Windows\System32\drivers

reboot after its been copy pasted

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately, no dice there. I have the tdx.sys file from a clean Windows 7 32-bit system now, but still no internet after a reboot. Hrm...

Perhaps it has to do with missing or corrupted registry keys as well, so not sure what to do in regards to that.

I'm going to give this a try, and see what happens.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-31 at 02:01 PM.

Deleted
    download the network drivers again, tdx.sys is a driver file and i think MSE made a balls of it... Typical M$ apps lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't know what changed (maybe the aforementioned trojan was doing something), but when I went to make a new restore point before doing some registry editing, I discovered that there actually was a restore point from two days ago on the list. Crossed my fingers and it seems to have worked. I'd probably still better run some scans... hopefully those that won't screw things up.

Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    download the network drivers again, tdx.sys is a driver file and i think MSE made a balls of it... Typical M$ apps lol.
    Ha, as I said to the guy who recommended using it: I'll be surprised if Microsoft ever succeeds when it comes to security.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Well I don't know what changed (maybe the aforementioned trojan was doing something), but when I went to make a new restore point before doing some registry editing, I discovered that there actually was a restore point from two days ago on the list. Crossed my fingers and it seems to have worked. I'd probably still better run some scans... hopefully those that won't screw things up.

Ha, as I said to the guy who recommended using it: I'll be surprised if Microsoft ever succeeds when it comes to security.
    i have been using Microsoft Essencials without problem and i do recommend it because it is a good (free as well) anti virus system that does not eat up a lot of resources. The problem is not the essencials it is the trojan that infected your pc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gnlogic View Post
    i have been using Microsoft Essencials without problem and i do recommend it because it is a good (free as well) anti virus system that does not eat up a lot of resources. The problem is not the essencials it is the trojan that infected your pc
    Probably true, I was mostly being cheeky.

Related question, though the main issue is fixed: how to update the add/remove programs list?
    There were programs I'd uninstalled, but the system restore obviously brought some of them back... and apparently "uninstall.xml" cannot be read when i try to re-do that uninstall.