Gaming Laptop for $1k

Before getting 10 responses about why I should get a desktop instead of a laptop: Yes, I know I could get more bang for my buck by getting a desktop, but I need a laptop for school.

Budget: $1k
    Resolution: 15ish inch screen is fine (w/e resolution that is)
    Games / Settings Desired: D3, SC2, LoL, WoW medium settings
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): no
    Parts that can be reused: no
    Do you need an OS?: yes.
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: no

Deleted
    Is this a laptop you will carry around campus? If yes, I'd vote against a gaming oriented machine. I used to carry a 3Kg 15.6" laptop to work 5 days a week and I would not recommend it at all, especially not when you will be carrying it between classes. Another down-side is the often limited battery-life of a gaming laptop; they need to be constantly charged. You'd be lucky to get 3-4 hours effective time out of it.

The better choice is to get a slimmed down (read: cheap) notebook that can handle internet and Word just fine, and spend the rest of the money on a stationary gaming machine.

You should be able to find a decent netbook/notebook for around $250-300, especially if you look for a second hand machine. Then use the rest, say $500-650 or so, on a decent gaming rig. Should be very doable. Note that you should be able to get a Windows license through MSDNAA - check with your administration.