Updating AMD drivers to 12.4 issues

Friend of mine just got a new computer put together, with a XFX Radeon 6870. He went to his motherboard manufacturer's (asrock) website and downloaded the drivers, including the VGA driver that auto detected his graphics card. It installed some older drivers for him (v8.850, released a year ago). When he tries to update to 12.4 though, he gets a blue screen halfway through, and he has to revert back to the old drivers. I'm wondering if anyone might have experienced something similar when trying to upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    He needs to get rid of the old drivers first (usually uninstalling them through control panel works just fine), then update to the newest Catalysts. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend using Driver Sweeper (to get rid of the old drivers, again, as there's something still lingering), then try again.

edit: for future reference, I generally encourage people to shy away from getting drivers from vendors (Asrock, XFX, MSI, etc) and go right to the source (AMD, Nvidia, Intel...Creative? lol), simply because stuff like this happens way too frequently for my tastes.
    Hardware vendors aren't usually all that great when it comes to keeping their software up to date...
    (The exception would, of course, be motherboards...for obvious reasons, hopefully)
    Last edited by Scratches; 2012-06-01 at 12:49 AM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Use ATIMan Uninstaller instead of Driver Sweeper...It looks shady, but it isn't.

Yeah I told him to go to the website and install it fresh from the start, but he blue screened during that install. He's tried that again after wiping his drivers with Driver Sweeper, an again, blue screened during the install. After the blue screen, his card isn't recognized at all, but the AMD installer and Windows thinks he has the most up to date drivers

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm still using Catalyst 12.3s personally, they work the best for me. He could also try the 12.6 beta...
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-06-01 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    I'm still using Catalyst 12.3s personally, they work the best for me. He could also try the 12.6 beta...

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/hotfix/c...a_windows7.exe
    Im at 12.4 had some weird non reproducable issues only. Now correct me if im wrong but I read this as the op was online up and running and got his GPU drivers from ASRock? If that is the case why did he do that? That would not be optimal at all, Install all needed drivers i.e chipset lan etc from disc and grab AMD drivers from the source, windows will drive the GPU by itself in most cases, assuming Z77 or z68 board installing the onboard gpu driver would have been unneeded but is likely causing the issue atm have him check the bios he may have to change settings, id check being on an ASRock board but im p67 no onboard gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Im at 12.4 had some weird non reproducable issues only. Now correct me if im wrong but I read this as the op was online up and running and got his GPU drivers from ASRock? If that is the case why did he do that? That would not be optimal at all, Install all needed drivers i.e chipset lan etc from disc and grab AMD drivers from the source, windows will drive the GPU by itself in most cases, assuming Z77 or z68 board installing the onboard gpu driver would have been unneeded but is likely causing the issue atm have him check the bios he may have to change settings, id check being on an ASRock board but im p67 no onboard gpu.
    Yeah he did get the AMD drivers first and tried to install 12.4, but it blue screened when he did, so he updated his motherboard drivers and Windows installed an older version of the AMD drivers, then he tried to update those and blue screened as well.

I'll have him try out the beta drivers and see if it has any problems.