Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Racism and biggotry in the online gaming community

I feel like I have to address this, someone has to.

I love to play video games, just as much as the rest of us. But I have to say, the one thing that always makes it less fun for me in an online gaming situation is all of the racist and homophobic comments and jokes. I, for one, thought that nerds were more progressive and smarter people. I suppose I am realizing now that that is just speculation.

So I ask you, if you are someone who has ever said anything remotely like this to someone while you're playing, I ask you why? Are you saying it because it's "cool"? Are you saying these things because everyone else is? Are you really that much of an ignorant asshole in real life? If you've said something, even once, don't you feel bad about it somewhere? Doesn't it FEEL wrong?
    Or does it give you some sort of sick sense of accomplishment?

You would be surprised how many races and sexual preferences you are actually playing with - which brings me to my next question: Are some of you gay, or otherwise, yourselves? If so... WHAT are you doing. Stop. It isn't funny anymore.

I know that it seems small, calling someone here a n*****, someone there a f*****. But words spread like wildfire. And to some degree, yes, they hurt. I'm a very strong person, I've dealt with a lot in my short lifetime so far on this planet, but I have never been surrounded by anything other than support my entire life in real life. But when it comes to the things I like to do for fun, such as these games... there's always someone, or multiple people, using terms like that (not in attack against me, but still), and they just sound so stupid.
    You sound like a fucking idiot. You think you're a hottshot on the internet. Do you say those things in real life? I fucking hope not, for your sake.

It's time that this planet WAKES UP, and I think we all agree on that. We are one human race. I don't care who you, or they are -- HAVE RESPECT FOR ANOTHER HUMAN BEING.
    I still treat people who HATE me with respect, because I know that at least I am being the better person. I don't egg situations on, I just walk away, (or leave the group, etc, lol), because they are so not worth my time or energy.

Small, positive changes will change the world.

Again, I ask you, if you have EVER said anything like this to someone - why? Put it below, if you're brave enough. Admit that you're not really that way in real life. And then I ask you to please stop. If you don't do it in real life, stop being someone you're not on the internet because not only is that in itself really stupid, but the person you're being on the internet is WORSE than who you are in real life. What is wrong with you?

This really needs to change.

sidenote: This goes along with a lot more than racism and homophobia, it's just that they are the most prevelant in my experience.
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Deleted
    Online gaming has a lot of children that thinks it is cool to say those sort of things, the silent majority are usually the sensible ones.

Most people say it because they know it will hit a nerve in at least one person to provoke them to retaliate, and therefore makes them laugh in turn. Mostly just idiots who like to "troll".

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Online gaming has a lot of children that thinks it is cool to say those sort of things, the silent majority are usually the sensible ones.
    I wish they weren't so silent.
    If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars.

Deleted
    it is mostly wow players
    and 4chans losers that find it hillarious

I was in a huge american guild in warhammer online, and the first thing they warned us about was those words exactly, because people do come from all walks of life and to get pissed of on your leisure time cause of some stranger or moron you have to play with is no fun
    On wow ..it comes with the package

Online games as large as this usually represent the average view of people outside games aswell. It's not only "progressive nerds" who play games these days. Gaming is mainstream. And you'll find there's a lot of bigots in the real world.

Deleted
    Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth.

Deleted
    Just because someone makes racist/homophobic/cultural/sexist jokes does not actually mean that they believe what they're saying. There are multiple reasons why they are prevalent in some gaming (and broadly, online - this is not solely a gaming occurrence) circles/communities.

Since online gaming provides anonymity, I believe the majority of people who say such extreme things do it for attention or to hopefully hit a nerve to get under someones skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Immature people, not even going to say kids, want to be ethugz and act tough on the internet. While you have put some thoughts into your post OP, those immature people won't even bother reading it.

Deleted
    Christ, this post has basically summed up everything that I constantly get frustrated about on the internet.

I try my best not to let it get to me, but the way people talk to each other online is disgraceful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Minisynn View Post
    Christ, this post has basically summed up everything that I constantly get frustrated about on the internet.

I try my best not to let it get to me, but the way people talk to each other online is disgraceful.
    I'd just like to point out that this is coming from a guy sporting the pedobear as his avatar. Something that became a meme entirely to poke fun at pedophilia.

Now, there is a kind of irony there (it doesn't directly relate to how he treats people online, of course) but it shows in general how desensitized people who use the internet regularly really are. I would wager most people would baulk at the prospect of a cartoon bear trying to catch children for questionable purposes.

Deleted
    Also, I'm genuinely amazed that the first comment wasn't someone saying the N word, or calling you a "F****t", that's the way it usually goes on the internet when someone brings up a serious issue like this.

And Skavau, it's a picture of a bear, and it has nothing to do with disrespect towards other on the internet, so don't try and start something.

Deleted
    Also, I'm genuinely amazed that the first comment wasn't someone saying the N word, or calling you a "F****t", that's the way it usually goes on the internet when someone brings up a serious issue like this.
    I can joke about serious issues and then discuss them intensely seriously within 5 minutes of each other. Just saying.

And Skavau, it's a picture of a bear, and it has nothing to do with disrespect towards other on the internet, so don't try and start something.
    It is a popular drawing of Pedobear. I'm not "starting anything", just pointing out that you're sporting an avatar that most people unexposed to black humour and/or the internet would find offensive.

You can't separate that bear from the meaning it has taken on the internet.
    I am Dave ! Yognaught, and I have the balls!

the hard part when doing this is....people will "yell" at there screen not thinking its a human behind it just to vent. here is a video that everyone should watch

Deleted
    I love black humour, I have a very dark sense of humour, it's why people love me ; And I've yet to encounter someone who actually finds it offensive, and if someone was genuinely distressed enough at my picture to ask me to get rid of it I would, because it's something I change weekly anyway.

Deleted
    I love black humour, I have a very dark sense of humour, it's why people love me ; And I've yet to encounter someone who actually finds it offensive, and if someone was genuinely distressed enough at my picture to ask me to get rid of it I would, because it's something I change weekly anyway.
    However many people you know that enjoy black humour is irrelevant. By sporting that avatar, you are literally (in a small way) making light of pedophilia. Now, similarly in the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    I love to play video games, just as much as the rest of us. But I have to say, the one thing that always makes it less fun for me in an online gaming situation is all of the racist and homophobic comments and jokes. I, for one, thought that nerds were more progressive and smarter people. I suppose I am realizing now that that is just speculation.
    What's the specific difference between a racist, homophobic and a pedophilia joke?

The truth of the matter is Society forces people to think/act a certain way in public even if deep down the person doesn't truly believe what he/she is saying.

The internet on the otherhand allows people to be/act as they truly are and spew hatred/bigotry/personal opinions without repercussions.
    So in essence what you see online is humanity itself when not hidden behind a mask.

Not to sound rude or anything but I suggest you develop some thicker skin because words are just words and if the ones spoken by those you don't care about still manage to hurt you you're in for a bumpy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    It is a popular drawing of Pedobear. I'm not "starting anything", just pointing out that you're sporting an avatar that most people unexposed to black humour and/or the internet would find offensive.
    Actually people unexposed to the internet would just see it as a bear.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Not to sound rude or anything but I suggest you develop some thicker skin because words are just words and if the ones spoken by those you don't care about still manage to hurt you you're in for a bumpy life.
    And this, people these days get offended way too easily, it's even more stupid when people get offended on other peoples behalf.
    Last edited by Fleckens; 2012-06-01 at 03:39 PM.