Page 1 of 2
LastLast

States change laws and don't notify public?

Couple of days ago was reading newspaper, about how apparently pets should be buckled up in NJ.
    I don't have a pet, so don't care about that.
    The article casually mentioned how back-seat passengers are also required to be buckled... what the?

When I took the permit exam ... about 12 years ago when I moved to NJ, that wasn't a requirement for adults, but now it is.
    Here's the quote from nj site (http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/seatbelts.html):
    On January 18, 2010, legislation was signed into law requiring all occupants to buckle up, regardless of their seating position in a vehicle. A secondary offense, the new law allows police to issue summonses to unbuckled back seat occupants, 18 years of age and older, when the vehicle they are riding in is stopped for another violation. The law is effective immediately.
    So like what the hell? shouldn't the public be notified about these laws somehow?
    Or are we notified, I just didn't know where to look?

This thing wasn't illegal, and now it is illegal, seems like the public should know. No?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Couple of days ago was reading newspaper, about how apparently pets should be buckled up in NJ.
    I don't have a pet, so don't care about that.
    The article casually mentioned how back-seat passengers are also required to be buckled... what the?

When I took the permit exam ... about 12 years ago when I moved to NJ, that wasn't a requirement for adults, but now it is.
    Here's the quote from nj site (http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/seatbelts.html):

So like what the hell? shouldn't the public be notified about these laws somehow?

This thing wasn't illegal, and now it is illegal, seems like the public should know. No?
    I'm sure the changes were posted in a public venue for all to see. It isn't the government's responsibility to go door to door and tell us a law has changed.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-06-04 at 12:00 AM.

Nor is ignorance of the law a defence. It's up to the citizen to keep up on the law. Has the government ever notified you in any other way that a law has changed? What makes you think this would be any different?
    On second thought, is it not notice enough that your government has taken the time to post it on their public website? How much notice do you need? An e-mail?

You are supposed to be aware of anything on the books, ignorance is not seen as an excuse regardless of the vagueness of the law or if they use the law to trap you.
    If something changes and it puts you in violation its your fault, always.

You mean it wasn't illegal for people in the back seats to not have a seatbelt until 2010? That is the bigger issue IMO.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    All of the above posts are spot on, but I would also add that, whether it be a law or not, I think anyone who likes to live at all would be smart enough to put on a seat belt, no matter where they are sitting in the car. I don't really understand it when people think it is cool to not do so, okay, do you get like a rush from the "I could die if I get in an accident!" thought or something? O_o
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

When I was in NY State in 2002 I was stopped for holding a cellphone while driving, since I was from out of state I got verbally warned and that was it.

I don't see the state needing to be involved with seatbelts on adults, more of a reason to stop you in hopes of finding something else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post

And you want them to do what exactly, send every person in the state a mailer, have you retake courses, etc? It isn't their fault you clearly didn't read the newspaper or stay up to date on current issues in the state. Laws don't "usually" sneak into existence.

I don't see the state needing to be involved with seatbelts on adults, more of a reason to stop you in hopes of finding something else.
    So the idea of being jettisoned through the windshield into whatever crashed into the car you were in/whatever your car crashed into until 0.1 seconds earlier and being turned into donor organs if they are still intact doesn't put you off riding without a seatbelt?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You mean it wasn't illegal for people in the back seats to not have a seatbelt until 2010? That is the bigger issue IMO.
    It was like that in North Carolina until a couple of years ago as well. It still baffles me how there are people out there that are just that dumb to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

So the idea of being jettisoned through the windshield into whatever crashed into the car you were in/whatever your car crashed into until 0.1 seconds earlier and being turned into donor organs if they are still intact doesn't put you off riding without a seatbelt?
    Yeh thats what he said...

You know I honestly didn't know where I could find changed laws, I never bothered to until they were like "Hey, you can't be working on your car in the driveway, it has to be in an enclosed structure!" I was like since when, well the only place to find out is by going through their webpage, I found it weird that there was no mention of law changes in the city newspaper either, you would think they would put any changes in the law in the city paper especially since nothing else newsworthy ever happens here.

I guess moral of the story is that you should check to see if what you plan on doing is legal or not, also just where the seatbelt, I know some people argue "But people have died because they have a seatbelt on!" that's a bad argumentc seatbelts save lives more than they don't, by a lot, and if that's your thinking you might as well not even drive because you have the chance of dieing while driving, hell just bout anything has the potential to kill you.
    Last edited by mmines; 2012-06-04 at 12:23 AM.

Not really, not a loss of anything of value to me.

So if I don't have on a seatbelt I should be stopped and fined at the least. But if I decide I'll get the 14ft ladder and go to the topstep cleaning the gutters over the driveway that is fine, still a risk of loss.

Quote Originally Posted by mmines View Post
    I found it weird that there was no mention of law changes in the city newspaper either, you would think they would put any changes in the law in the city paper especially since nothing else newsworthy ever happens here.
    They're there I guarantee it, just not on the same page as the funnies or the crossword..

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I'm sure the changes were posted in a public venue for all to see. It isn't the government's responsibility to go door to door and tell us a law has changed.
    Well, They should at least send a letter to people when laws change. But I would think putting your seat belt on in the car would be common sense...

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Well, They should at least send a letter to people when laws change. But I would think putting your seat belt on in the car would be common sense...
    Then you and others would rage at the expense it costs taxpayers to do so..its not financially plausible when your dealing with hundreds of thousands of citizens, nor is it necessary...www.yourcitynamehere.gov

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmines View Post
    You know I honestly didn't know where I could find changed laws, I never bothered to until they were like "Hey, you can't be working on your car in the driveway, it has to be in an enclosed structure!"
    How the hell is that a law? You know that that only came into existence because the neighbor of one of the politicians works on cars in his driveway and it annoys the politician. There is absolutely no other reason for that law to come into existence lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you do not know where to find updates on current acts of legislature going on in your state, talk to one of your representatives. As a constituent, you have a right to at least be heard, and if anyone knows they, or some secretary helping with their mail, will know where to point you. Being in touch with policy makers is generally a good idea to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    They're there I guarantee it, just not on the same page as the funnies or the crossword..
    In there with the public notices, but you have to check the right day on page E16 bottom section.

Like forfeited property, you can file a claim if you know about it, here its posted at the courthouse on a bulletin board

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    In there with the public notices, but you have to check the right day on page E16 bottom section.

Like forfeited property, you can file a claim if you know about it, here its posted at the courthouse on a bulletin board
    Right. Or once again try your city/states website.