Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Babylon 5 is probably still my all time favourite sci-fi TV series. It just has the scope, story, characters and twists of a genuine epic sci-fi story. It's essentially Mass Effect as a TV show, for those wanting a point of reference.

Firefly would probably have been my all time favourite if it had gotten a series 2+3, but as it is, it's hard to justify giving it a position above things like the newer BSG and the like, simply because it's only the opening act of something that should've been much grander.

Battlestar Galactica and Firefly are probably the best I've seen.
    I also like Star Trek TNG, DS9 and Voyager. DS9 is by far the best of those three.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Star Trek Voyager and Firefly are two really great Sci-Fi tv shows. Currently also watching two 3D CGI animated tv shows: Star Wars The Clone Wars and Transformers: Prime. V had a slow start, but in the end got really exciting (cancelled prematurely though). Falling Skies has really interesting settings, but isn't aren't that great. If you look passed the mistakes being made, it is quite enjoyable to watch. Just don't expect a realistic way to deal with certain situations.

There is a new Canadian tv show, Continuum. Has only aired two episodes so far (Sundays). Has a lot of people from the Stargate series in it. I was pretty impressed by how awesome it is.

Warehouse 13 is good. It isn't that great until the character Claudia Donavan (know relation to Zane from Eureka) gets introduced in the fourth episode. She's definitely the one that makes the show a lot funnier. Kinda like Fargo in Eureka.

It's pretty obvious though that the age of Sci-Fi tv shows is over. There's hardly any real Sci-Fi tv shows on television. Most of it has been cancelled during the passed few years. The greates such as Eureka, Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate: Universe. And new Sci-Fi tv shows like Alcatraz, Terra Nova and The Event don't even get passed season one.

Fantasy seems to be the new Sci-Fi, with Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Being Human, The Secret Circle, Once Upon a Time, Grimm, Lost Girl, Awake and Touch. Game of Thrones is simply the best tv show currently on television, by miles. The Walking Dead, also one of the best currently on television, had a really good first season, but season two was slow. The last two episodes were really good again. Both have aired two seasons, same for Being Humand and Lost Girl, and all will get a third. Once Upon a Time, Grimm and Touch (could be seen as the new Heroes or The 4400, where certain people have special gifts) are two new tv shows this year, but have both been renewed. The Secret Circle has been cancelled after just one season, but this was a really exciting tv show. Especcialy the cliffhanger of the last episode left me thirsty for more (Found out, seconds after finishing the season finale, that it was cancelled, that was a shock). Awake (basically the new Day Break, if you've watched that) has also been cancelled after one season. The tv show starts slow, but the acting of Jason Isaacs is brilliant. It's not often that I am truly impressed by someone's acting, but he did it. Especcialy episode 11. Starts slow, but as he learns more about his accident, the tv show shifts a few gears and becomes really exciting.

So I found that Continuum- and watch episode one, and it seems promising even though it kinda started like a cheap made for TV Sci-fi Film, Buts It not bad worth watching, only trouble is the audience will be small, it will end an a cliff hanger then get cancelled, like some many others.

RIP SG:U, Invasion, and Defying Gravity

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the first two episodes of Continuum but haven't watched them yet. That's a new show.

There's a show called Lost Girl about a succubus but I couldn't get past the second episode. The show felt cheap and the acting was pretty poor. Didn't like the lead actress.

I think shows like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones have lowered my tolerance for crap sci-fi/fantasy. Is it too much to ask for good writing and acting lol? Still waiting for a proper successor to Battlestar Galactica. It's not right to go this long without a good space opera

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    For me, Babylon 5 is near the top for scifi. Wasn't too impressed with Firefly.
    Agree, my hands down favorite. First season has one or two stupid episode but 2 through 4 are just amazing. Five was better than 1.

As for other series, in no particular order

Red Dwarf
    BSG, for a while it was really good. Got a bit loopy with Baltar and ghostbuck. Ellen rocks
    Star Trek remastered TOS, because its good
    Star Trek TNG, some episodes are the best Trek offered
    Star Trek DS9, has some good episodes, not as good as TNG
    Andromeda, basically Kevin Sorbo in space. Good first season, horrible season cliff hangers, best, if not two best science fiction female characters (Andromeda (aka Rom Doll, Rommie, etc) and Trance Gemini)
    Stargate (all seasons - just too many reasons) (fwiw the actor who plays Daniel is married to Andromeda's Andromeda)
    Firefly (decent but not nearly as great as many make it out to be)
    Eureka
    Dr. Who (hit and miss sometimes)
    Space 1999
    UFO, the predecessor to space, where everyone one smokes, submarines and spaceships.
    Buck Rogers original or Gil Gerard version (think Wilma Dearing!!!!)
    Flash Gordon - original is awesome and dirt cheap.

Don't forget Anime science fiction type shows like the entire Robotech series and Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Last edited by ZeroWashu; 2012-06-05 at 01:25 PM.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

High Overlord Royal of the Light's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    My top 3
    BSG
    Star Trek: Enterprise ( and btw I would like to ask why the Enterprise Series are being so neglected? )
    Firefly

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal of the Light View Post
    Star Trek: Enterprise ( and btw I would like to ask why the Enterprise Series are being so neglected? )
    Title theme sucked ass. Apart from that it's fine.

High Overlord Royal of the Light's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    Title theme sucked ass.
    With that I totally Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Not a fan of doctor who, seems more like a kids scifi show to me imo. I faintly remember fallen skies, Not a fan of walking dead, absolute atrocity of a zombie show, im ashamed that zombies are attached to the show.
    I ALMOST didn't respond to this thread, because of these two sentences. I thought, "well this guy obviously doesn't like good things, so I can't help him". Then, in a moment of superhero-esque awesomeness, I shed that notion and thought "YES I CAN HELP THIS POOR SOUL". lol

Most of the good shows have already been mentioned, but i'll throw up my own opinions:

Doctor Who is awesome. While you are partially correct that it is geared towards children in that it is geared towards EVERYONE. It's a true show for anyone of any age, IMO. Also, it's awesome (speaking of the episodes that started in 2005, never seen the originals).

Warehouse 13 is a really good show. It's got way more humor in it than most sci-fi these days.

Fringe has been a little bit of a roller coaster ride lately, what with alternate realities, and ALTERNATE alternate realities and the like, but all things considered it's been a pretty awesome show. It's supposed to end next season so now would be a good time to catch up with it. What i love most about that show (after watching it for so long) is the characters. Sure the procedural aspect of the show is hit/miss and sometimes the bigger overall story will take a backseat to those procedural episodes, but hey...we can't all be perfect.

Falling Skies I totally liked. I haven't heard anything about a 2nd season, and it's been a while since the first one, so I dunno if it's even coming back.

The River was more fantasy than sci-fi but I thought it's first season was pretty awesome. I think it might've gotten cancelled, though. Not sure.

If you haven't seen it, check out Misfits. It's a British show and I describe it to people as "Imagine if Heroes was REALLY GOOD...and British". lol. It's an awesome show.

Finally, probably the best sci-fi show in existence will start back with new episodes soon...FUTURAMA!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Royal of the Light View Post
    because it is/was the cool thing to do.

OP, if you have Amazon Prime they have tons of great sci-fi shows on their streaming.
    Dr Who
    Star trek tso, tng, dss9, voyager, enterprise
    xfiles
    buffy, angel (guess this might be more fantasy than sci-fi)
    Sarah Conner Chronicles
    Dresden Files
    Farscape
    Dollhouse
    Firefly

should keep you good for a year or two haha

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    Falling Skies I totally liked. I haven't heard anything about a 2nd season, and it's been a while since the first one, so I dunno if it's even coming back.
    Season 2 starts June 17th. I saw the commercial for it last month and had never heard of the show so I got caught up and watched season 1 in about 3 days, and then with the way season 1 ended...I was mad I couldn't watch more right away lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    I recommend fringe. No aliens or space shit but probably best Sci-Fi on TV right now.
    Fringe is indeed very nice.

Another show I would recommend is Sanctuary. It used to air on friday evening on Syfy, so you know what that means. It got canceled, but there are still 4 seasons. It's about a team who help preserve special beings that live among humans. It has a small Men in Black vibe. But it also has other themes that stretch over multiple episodes, like 'the 5". It also stars Amanda Tapping, and it's the reason why she got replaced in season 5 of SGA. She plays something completely different in here, so even if you hated Samantha Carter, it's no reason not to watch.
    It has some humor, diverse plots and nice atmosphere. The dialogue sucks sometimes, but it's a really amusing show. It gets even better in season 2.

---------- Post added 2012-06-05 at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laxzal View Post
    Yes! I loved Caprica. The storyline was great and the acting. Zoe <3. Too bad they cancelled the show after one season. God I hate SyFy Channel for cancelling it and the audience who bitched about the plot taking too long to get into.
    Thats basically what they love to do, butcher their best shows.
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-06-05 at 08:45 PM.

FIREFLY FIREFLY FIREFLY FIREFLY...

if you can live with the heartbreak of it only lasting 14 episodes (the movie is kinda meh).

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Firefly is a must for a SciFi fan.

I just love Stargate's all of them... 2011 was a sad year...

But there was another show that I lived a lot - Odyssey 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    Falling Skies I totally liked. I haven't heard anything about a 2nd season, and it's been a while since the first one, so I dunno if it's even coming back
    Season 2 starts June 17th. I saw the commercial for it last month and had never heard of the show so I got caught up and watched season 1 in about 3 days, and then with the way season 1 ended...I was mad I couldn't watch more right away lol
    NICE, that's next Sunday. Another great show to add to the Sunday night lineup...

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved Warehouse 13. Not a whole lot more I can add.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Also: Lost. You can skip the last season though.

Quote Originally Posted by causeforconcern View Post
    Also: Lost. You can skip the last season though.
    Yeh no, i watched the first season or two, terrible flip flop of a show no thank you.

Yeh no, i watched the first season or two, terrible flip flop of a show no thank you.
    Well if you didn't like it after the first season I certainly can't pitch it to you any further--I thought season 1 was absolutely brilliant. Season 2 was quite a dip in quality, though.
    Last edited by causeforconcern; 2012-06-05 at 11:19 PM.