Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Woh now. You can play an MMO perfectly fine with 0 thumb buttons, saying it's not even enough to play tribes is a little silly. Sure, it's more convenient to have extra mouse buttons.. but to imply that it's mandatory is a little silly.

The bindings you were talking about that made everyone go '.. what?' should be evidence enough that just because a setup is preferable to one person doesn't mean it's mandatory to play well. People use different setups. I have 8 extra mouse buttons yet only use the two thumb buttons for.. pretty much anything, as I prefer to bind most commands to the keyboard.
    Sorry, what I meant was "not even enough to play tribes with (for me)." I don't like giving up my movement ability to do something else. It feels very suboptimal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Don't buy into that crap. My post from another thread:

"You don't need any fancy overpriced crap for any game, let alone GW2. I mean, you only need, what, number keys 1-5 for your main attacks, five more keybinds for your other main skills, a max of four (or five?) keybinds for class mechanics (attunements, steal, shroud, etc etc), one for weap swap, and then one more bind for dodge. That's nothing compared to most MMOs, and even in those I have enough binds without having any extra keys or buttons. My easy to hit binds for important stuff are 1-5, alt 1-3, shift1-5, ~, Q, E, R, Z, X, C, F, T, V, G, tab, side mouse 1 and 2, and then even alt and shift + some of those. That's already way overkill.

The only expensive peripheral that's actually worth it is a good mechanical keyboard. You can grab a decent one for around $100-150 and then get a $40 Logitech G400 mouse - its one of the few mice with a near-perfect sensor that doesn't have any positive or negative acceleration, and even the newer ones don't have any prediction either. Razer is shit, the "higher-end" models of Logitech mice (G500/700) are shit, most of Steelseries stuff aside from their Qck mouse pads and the new Kana mouse are shit. Don't buy into the whole over-priced gaming gear garbage like many do. If you do your research, you'll find everything I've said is true."
    What a load of bull.

I'm not asking for (or need) EXTRA buttons, I'm using a gamepad to completely replace the mechanical keyboard so that i do not have to move my eyes off my screen to hunt for an obscure spell/ability that I do not use in my standard spells/ability.

For the standard keyboards there is not a physical feedback to tell you where you hand is located physically, unless you map your spells to the numpad.

For the last 5 years i mapped all my CD's and in-combat spells around WASD for my left hand and on the numpad for my right, it handicapped me as i could not moved as fluid (but did not hinder my performance as i am a caster, and did not PvP seriously :P ). This setup allowed me to use all my in-combat spells without having to look at my screen. I am now using my mouse to move/look around which means most of my spells are now cast by my left hand. A MMO 7 mouse or a Gamepad would change that for me, which ppl would stop tunneling and accept that ppl have different systems and there is not only one system that works for everyone.
    Last edited by mmoc7e26181ef6; 2012-06-06 at 08:41 PM.

Uh.... Why do you have to look down at your keyboard? That's the first time I've heard that problem. You typically build up muscle memory for new key binds after a few hours of use. Unless you don't use a computer often, your fingers should already know where most keys are around the WASD cluster.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Uh.... Why do you have to look down at your keyboard? That's the first time I've heard that problem. You typically build up muscle memory for new key binds after a few hours of use. Unless you don't use a computer often, your fingers should already know where most keys are around the WASD cluster.
    true, i don't have to look at my keyboard while typing words, but i don't think to myself "ah my XXX spell is bound to C" *presses C*.... but really its not as simple as that, i always glance down after using an obscure spell to make sure that my hand is back to the correct position, i'd rather not cast a precious cool down by mistake while meaning to push something else.

Though tbh i do make typos constantly as i still misstype while not looking at my keyboard ^^

I've been playing games most my life and done 2 degrees, and use a PC at work, so i know my way around the keyboard i'm still just terrible at typing (and english might I add) ^^

Well then maybe you do need something besides a keyboard then. Can't relate to your issue since my muscle memory for a keyboard was set shortly after I began using one back when I was a kid, so I don't have any good suggestions. Too bad they don't make a nostromo-type peripheral with mechanical switches, you're stuck with shitty normal rubber dome ones.