Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do people like the necromancer?

Why does it seem that this class EVERYONE wants brought back into Diablo 3 as a playable class? I dont understand all they hype around the class. Is it the 20+ something minnions you could have running around you? Please enlighten me.

Not played the previous editions of the game but I would have really liked the witch doctor's pets to be more viable at harder difficulties it's like they take a 1 or 2 hits and they're dead.

It could be the minions, or it could be the curses. Or, maybe it's both? The Necromancer is an amazing class.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Why does it seem that this class EVERYONE wants brought back into Diablo 3 as a playable class? I dont understand all they hype around the class. Is it the 20+ something minnions you could have running around you? Please enlighten me.
    all about Necro PvP in D2 Summoning was meh, Bone spirit + Prison + Teleport was the shit!

Everyone has their pet class. (Pun intended)
    Suppose WoW2 were to come out, but it didn't have druids. You'd see plenty of people calling for the return of the Druid, even though you may not personally find them interesting (as many do not, whatever class we discuss).

I think that's largely what you're seeing.
    The other aspect of course is that it represented a playstyle that D3 simply doesn't have right now, the heavy pet character.
    So far as I've seen, you can't keep WD pets alive long enough to do anything remotely similar to that, past Normal. You might be able to get them through NM/Hell with heavy regen and survival talents, but it's at best "viable", not actually "good".

The Diablo team seems fairly set on not enabling a class like that, however, and it's not surprising. Given how the game plays right now, it could largely trivialize many affixes. It could be very tricky for them to balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    One word. TEETH.

I would LOVE to have Necromancers added in a later XPac. I loved teeth spec. With all my heart, even though it wasnt leet. Still loved it.

There is so much room for D3 to grow, its not even funny.

Probably because with the "proper" spec a lot of necro fans mention, all you had to do was stand there, rez skeles and mobs you just killed, maybe a buff, debuff or 2, and watch them do all the real work for you. All you had to do was avoid damage and pickup loot.

The WD aint so good at JUST spamming pets... Still need some damage, cc, ect from the WD himself.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-06-05 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Necromancer had many different Playstyles wich were viable to a certain degree.
    Bonemaster - Block mobs with Bonewalls and kill them with either Bonespear or Spirit
    Artimancer - Blast multiple Mobs with corpse explosion and curse the rest to distract them or do more damage
    Summoner - summons lots of pets to do the dirty work
    Bowmancer - Uses a Bow/Crossbow and deals posiondamage, uses curses either offensice or deffensive
    Venomancer - Uses Poisonnova spamm to kill stuff
    (there are several other exotic Builts like Melee with poisondagger skill, or a Supporter wich maxed the Curses to suport the party...)

You see a single class had lots of way to play it. The only class wich is comperable to the Nec is the WD but you cant play him as a Summoner cause the pets die to quickly. Another thing that bothers me is that most of the WD skills require you to move to meleerange (Like unglyphed Bats, Zombie, Toadplague...) there is little option to play it as a full ranged caster exept just shooting darts.

Id love to have pets that actually survive. Do it that they dont draw threat but instead all threat they generate is converted to you. So you have to pay even more attention what to attack and to survive.
    Unlike other who say Nec was only rez skelletons and run around.. probably they havent played one in higher difficulties.
    Last edited by Uriel; 2012-06-05 at 09:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skeletons, bone and spirit spells, dark pale gloomy character, what's not to love?
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I just absolutely loved necromance in d2 too. Really... nothing is as fun as corpse explosion.

I loved curses. Witch doctor needs to get pratically melee range to get control. I even played necromancer with some weird curse spec that had practically absolute control on anything that wasnt immune to them. Blind, confuse, amplify damage, ect.

Pets... there was so much you could do with them. In d3 wd pets just die.

I could keep listing stuff. When I played d2 they were mostly necromancers and druids. A few barbarians. The others were uncommon for me.

The closest thing we have for necromancer in d3 is witch doctor and I feel desire to just not play it. I want to blow up stuff. I want control.

The Necromancer is kind of like the Death Knight or Warlock in WoW. It's got the 'evil' vibe yet is still a hero.

I vaguely recall playing one pre-expansion. I think you were able to summon 1 skeleton per point in the skill. So you could have 20+ Skeleton Warriors, 20+ Skeleton Mages, 1 Golem, 20+ Revived enemies, 1 follower, just massive amounts of minions under your command.

It also had Corpse Explosion which could be pretty awesome. I was playing a Necromancer on a playthrough before Diablo 3 was released. Saw the color auras of champions in a room on Nightmare, opened the door, walked in, there was like 30 things in there, ran out, my minions swarmed in, I just kept casting Corpse Explosion at the doorway, a minute or so later the fight was over, I went in and the floor was covered with the corpse explosion gore.

Even Blizzard must really like Corpse Explosion. We had it on Unholy Death Knights in WoW for a while, then they were going to put it back in with the new MoP talent system. I think it got cut again though since it requires a corpse.

10+ Year Old Account
    The necromancer had many viable and fun builds. I think it was the variety, as well as the feeling, the class offered. I personally was a huge necromancer fan but I'm not sad it's not in Diablo 3.

Deleted
    In diablo 2 lod I had a zoomancer/poisonmancer/bonemancer 1 of each just because each spec was so much fun in either pvm or pvp. nothing quite like going into a duel game, casting lower resist on the entire map since i had pretty much the best gear in the game and then casting poison nova>watching all peoples health go to 1 and then casting a fire golem where the summon explosion would kill them all! good times!

Corpse Explosion. That is all.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Seems to me that the WD just didn't fill that niche as well as some of the other classes in D3 did for their D2 counterparts. Also lots of people liked their Necro, me included. Maybe that's why I went Barb?

Current WD feels like the older version of the D2 necro. Ya know before they buffed their pets to be useful on the harder difficulties.

A pure pet build necro was completely viable in D2, but the WD's pets scale horribly once you hit late Hell and Inferno. Necro could have his pets "tank" while he cursed and used corpse explosion to burn the packs down. In D3 the WD pets will die too quickly for that to be viable, so they have to rely soley on their abilities to nuke (Firebats, Zombie Bears, ect).

Also, they lack the curses that the Necro had. Iron Maiden was just so...so fun in PVP.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    Exploding Cows, that's why I played him.

A pure pet build was not only viable in Diablo 2 it was also optimal. The pets were sufficiently effective baseline, and corpse explosion was so good that you could solo hell completely naked as a properly built necromancer. This led to Necromancers being the go to farm toon because they did not need to wear anything but the top magic finding gear in the game to be effective. You run out into act 1 hell and watch your golem kill a few fallen, and then the snowball starts rolling, into an unstoppable army of skeletons back up by corpses that explode for a % of the health of the mob they were guaranteeing the ability to two and three shot everything in a huge radius once your minions put one of the opposing mobs down.

People don't miss the flavor and play style of necromancers, they miss steamrolling the hardest content with 1 spell and a bunch of autonomous minions.

Two Words, "Lich King"

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Iron Maiden was just so...so fun in PVP.
    >:D

/moarchars