10+ Year Old Account

Glass computer desk + big screen tv/monitor?

I was just curious if anyone uses this sort of setup. I have a 37" tv that I use for my monitor, it's currently on a 35" desk >.> it's been like this for almost a year but it's just bugging my having no space.. so anyway, on point:
    I can get a nice (looking, I guess) glass computer desk to replace this wood one for fairly cheap. I just wanted to know if there are any horror stories I should be aware of before buying it. I know my tv isn't a car I'm balancing on the desk, but still.. it's not the smallest or cheapest thing I've ever thought to put on a thin layer of glass.

Deleted
    Those desks are designed to bear weight, just try not to drop anything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Those desks are designed to bear weight, just try not to drop anything on it.
    Exactly. They're built to support quite heavy loads of DEAD weight. But dropping stuff on them is really pushing for the catastrophe, since the glass isn't engineered to deal with vibrations resulting from an object hitting the table.

Of course, we're not talking about dropping a pen, but something like a cellphone, and from a considerable height (say, 1 meter?). So unless you nerdrage and like to throw out your mouse, or you have the habit of juggling rocks while waiting for queues, I'd say you're safe

10+ Year Old Account
    Just don't nerd rage and hit the desk and you should be fine xD

But seriously, if you do nerd rage and break the desk... Well, I dunno, good luck, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have a 42 inch plasma tv on tempered glass and have now for 2 years, dropped many things. have my keyboard and mouse on there too... no problems yet

10+ Year Old Account
    Fortunately, I'm not a terribly angry person. Glasses are the heaviest objects on the desk usually other than the tv and my speakers. I don't think I'd stand on my chair in order to drop my phone so I think I'm safe there, too.
    Thanks, I see the pictures of other glass desks but apparently none of those owners are weird enough to use a really large monitor so I wasn't sure if that was indicative of anything. ^^'

15+ Year Old Account
    Glass desk? Havent looked at them much so there might be some with a anti-reflecting coating but it is worth keeping an eye one.
    Reflections kinda fuck up any tv/monitor :/
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daragonis View Post
    none of those owners are weird enough to use a really large monitor
    If you have a wall in front of you, have you considered a wall-stand for the screen? I play on a laptop usually, but it's one of my short term goals to have a proper desktop and have a wall-mounted screen, both to free some space on the desk, and to avoid the amount of cables

Deleted
    Glass desk get dirty quite easily and it is way way more evident than anything else, also they're cold.

I had a 23" CRT on my tempered glass desk for years, no issue. It weighed as much as my 56" LCD TV, so im sure you're fine lol