Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm getting 13.88 years, but that's assuming zero maintenance and property tax (which is obviously not the case). In the real world, he's looking at something like 20 years to recoup that money, which is pretty dismal.
    You're right, for some dumb reason I was thinking $1200 a week.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lived with my parents till I was 21 (was in grad school at the time), and I thought it was fine. By the end of it, I was sick of it; I surely can't imagine moving back in with them (27 now). If you need to do it until you can get a job and get back on your feet, that's all well and good, but don't make it a long-term plan.

On another note, what kind of weird housing market are you in that a $200K home rents out for $1,200? That's a horrible return on investment.
    We bought the house for $175,000 and live in Richmond, KY. Everything down here is smaller in numbers compared to lets say a place like NYC. The other $25,000 went into furnishings, insurance, maintenance, etc.

---------- Post added 2012-06-06 at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette of Seraphim View Post
    Hey, he'll make that money back in, what, 3.2 years!

Sounds to me like the OP is lazy to be honest. Got a decent inheritance, bought a house, and thought he was on easy street, going to collect money from the house instead of living in it, and live stupidly cheap off a family member, so he wouldn't have to work.
    You're dead wrong. You hit a nerve buddy. I lived with my brother to help him out. He blew through his inheritance and needed my support living with him. Not only did I pay him rent, but I kept food stocked for us, loaned him money, and all sorts of different things. In the process the remains of my inheritance depleted. So... yeah screw you troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    You're dead wrong. You hit a nerve buddy. I lived with my brother to help him out. He blew through his inheritance and needed my support living with him. Not only did I pay him rent, but I kept food stocked for us, loaned him money, and all sorts of different things. In the process the remains of my inheritance depleted. So... yeah screw you troll.
    Sooo... he has trouble with money, so the solution is now to move in his girlfriend with 3 kids in tow?

Anyway, regardless, since the inheritance money is out the window, seems to me you should start hitting the pavement looking for a job either way.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm getting 13.88 years, but that's assuming zero maintenance and property tax (which is obviously not the case). In the real world, he's looking at something like 20 years to recoup that money, which is pretty dismal.

Sounds about right. Life on a silver platter and unwilling to put in any significant effort from the sounds of it. Could be wrong though, he must just be getting bad advice.
    You are wrong. If I am "unwilling to put in any significant effort" then why am I in college? Let me guess, your going to assume (making an ass out of u and me) that I'm in it for partying, in which case you would be very wrong because I don't drink. INB4 "omg college kid doesn't drink?!". Theres a lot of them, so yeah, sorry you made yourself look like a dick. Also, 13.88 years to recoup the money? Lol. I could easily sell the house and make immediate profit off that alone. The house is in a nice neighborhood and is still new and in good condition. Not only that, but I could also live for practically free and gain $600-$700 a month and possibly more if I choose to get a job.

---------- Post added 2012-06-06 at 10:00 AM ----------

Sooo... he has trouble with money, so the solution is now to move in his girlfriend with 3 kids in tow?

Anyway, regardless, since the inheritance money is out the window, seems to me you should start hitting the pavement looking for a job either way.
    I was there before the girlfriend, 2 years. Read my post next time.

I feel like you dug yourself into a ditch right there.

I feel like if you move back in with your parents, you might have an out for severing your 'financial obligation' to your brother.

I was there before the girlfriend, 2 years. Read my post next time.
    I... did read. I read that you threw money at your brother that he apparently needed, and also read that despite that fact, he's made the decision to move in a girlfriend and 3 kids to an apparently somewhat dirty place, and shoving the money well out the door. Just seems odd.

Anyway, mooch off your parents like a shithead or bother yourself to work. Seems like you've made your decision. Not sure what entirely the point of this thread was other than to make it clear in no uncertain terms that you've chosen to wear a heavy dose of vagina repellent.

You are wrong. If I am "unwilling to put in any significant effort" then why am I in college? Let me guess, your going to assume (making an ass out of u and me) that I'm in it for partying, in which case you would be very wrong because I don't drink. INB4 "omg college kid doesn't drink?!". Theres a lot of them, so yeah, sorry you made yourself look like a dick. Also, 13.88 years to recoup the money? Lol. I could easily sell the house and make immediate profit off that alone. The house is in a nice neighborhood and is still new and in good condition. Not only that, but I could also live for practically free and gain $600-$700 a month and possibly more if I choose to get a job.
    This is why I stipulated that you may be getting terrible advice. If you've spent ~$200K and can sell for a profit, you should. A $1200/month return (and it's actually less, after property taxes, maintenance, insurance) is a very, very poor return on that investment, particularly given that it requires you to give up all of the liquidity that would otherwise be available to you. You need (and I seriously mean need) to get someone who understands finance helping you out here, you're squandering the resources available to you.

Helping your brother out might seem admirable, but if you're fucking yourself in the process, it's not a good plan. You may well choose to right me off as an uncaring dick (I basically am, for what it's worth), but that doesn't actually mean I'm wrong.

You may not realize it, but being handed $300K and still being able to live with your parents really is having life on a silver platter.

Sounds like you're in a pretty good place financially, relatively speaking. It also sounds like you've got supportive parents and you're on track to get a college degree. Compared to all that could be going on in your life, you're doing pretty good. Compared to the universe of 20 year-old Americans, you're doing amazingly well. Assuming you get along with your parents, why on earth wouldn't you move back in with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Faloestin View Post
    Sounds like you're in a pretty good place financially, relatively speaking. It also sounds like you've got supportive parents and you're on track to get a college degree. Compared to all that could be going on in your life, you're doing pretty good. Compared to the universe of 20 year-old Americans, you're doing amazingly well. Assuming you get along with your parents, why on earth wouldn't you move back in with them?
    The same reason men avoid commitment: freedom.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I moved out of my parent's house at 18 and would never think about going back. I think that life is much better being on your own. I'd say that you should make your decision based on how well you get along with your parents and how well you get along with your brother. I do think that you should at least get a part time job, though. Extra cash never hurts.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    I moved out of my parent's house at 18 and would never think about going back. I think that life is much better being on your own. I'd say that you should make your decision based on how well you get along with your parents and how well you get along with your brother. I do think that you should at least get a part time job, though. Extra cash never hurts.
    You have to weigh the fact that he is a college student. Getting a part time job almost always lowers your GPA which might be valuable for a job that doesn't pay minimum wage.

This is why I stipulated that you may be getting terrible advice. If you've spent ~$200K and can sell for a profit, you should. A $1200/month return (and it's actually less, after property taxes, maintenance, insurance) is a very, very poor return on that investment, particularly given that it requires you to give up all of the liquidity that would otherwise be available to you. You need (and I seriously mean need) to get someone who understands finance helping you out here, you're squandering the resources available to you.

Helping your brother out might seem admirable, but if you're fucking yourself in the process, it's not a good plan. You may well choose to right me off as an uncaring dick (I basically am, for what it's worth), but that doesn't actually mean I'm wrong.

You may not realize it, but being handed $300K and still being able to live with your parents really is having life on a silver platter.
    Can't argue with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I... did read. I read that you threw money at your brother that he apparently needed, and also read that despite that fact, he's made the decision to move in a girlfriend and 3 kids to an apparently somewhat dirty place, and shoving the money well out the door. Just seems odd.

Anyway, mooch off your parents like a shithead or bother yourself to work. Seems like you've made your decision. Not sure what entirely the point of this thread was other than to make it clear in no uncertain terms that you've chosen to wear a heavy dose of vagina repellent.
    Oh damn you got me bro. Just so we are clear, I'm moving in with them in September. Wanna know why I chose September? You probably don't cause I would defeat your desperate name calling, but I will tell ya anyways. Because from the point of now to September I will have roughly 3 months to find a job and in September I will be going to school. So in September, I will be working and going to school while living with my parents, something A LOT of kids do when they are in college. Am I older than the kids that usually do this? Yeah, I'm a little behind. So what? At least I am trying. Stop being such a judgmental ass. I came for views and opinions... and I sure as hell got them. My neighbor who is the same age as I just GRADUATED college and moved back in with his parents, and he has the hottest girlfriend I have ever seen in my life. Boom. What a fucking troll.

Anyways, I'm going to let this thread die from here. It's become a troll fest, and I guess with the sensitive nature that it is, it was somewhat inevitable. Thanks for the inputs, both useful and just outright stupid/ignorant.

it wont take even one week until you will regret even considering this.

Once away from parents, better stay that way.

I came for views and opinions... and I sure as hell got them.
    It sure as hell seems like you came with the hope that it would be fuzzyfriendtime and that everyone would be entirely supportive of each of your decisions. If you wanted a pat on the back, you should have asked RL friends, they're much less likely to be honest and objective.

Stood in the Fire Arthur-the-exalted's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I am 20 years old, going on 21 in October, and have lived with my brother for around 2 years now. I pay $300 rent every month and pay for our Directv bill which is around $80 per month. I am a college student, and I have a monthly income (without a job, more on that later) of $1200. After all my bills, and rent, every month I have around $400-$500 per month to live on without a job. If I live like an extremely poor person, barely go out, and minimize my "wants" spending, I can live without working.

To that extent, let me say I own a house (yes own, it is paid off for). I received around $300,000 in inheritance when my grandfather died. I spent $200,000 of it investing into a home, and am renting it out for $1200 monthly to a doctor and her husband. The other $100,000 has gone into miscellaneous stuff such as a car, school bills, etc.

So, in summary, without a job, I live basically paycheck to paycheck living with my brother. If I moved in with my parents, I would not have to pay a Directv bill, I would not have to buy my own food (unless my parents were cooking something I didn't agree with) and in total I'd probably save myself more or less $500-$600 a month and live in (no offense to my bro) a better and more cleanly house.

Not to mention if I got a job while living with my parents... damn. I'd be well off. The only down sides are that my dad can be one of the biggest assholes on the planet(but he is getting better with his church going), I would have to learn to restrict my cursing (parents are strongly religious), and I would have to respect my parents rules, which in the only difference is that I wouldn't be able to stay up late all the time (probably could on weekends), and I wouldn't be able to sleep in all the time (which again, I could still do probably on weekends).

Do you think it would be worth it to move back in with my parents? I'm doing it regardless, I just want to see how you guys view my situation.

EDIT: My brother also has a girlfriend who has 3 kids moving in with him, and he needs the extra room so he kinda wants me to leave. My parents house is literally within walking distance of my brother's, and I visit my parents almost on a daily basis anyways. And my parents want me to move back in to help me get my life straightened out.
    Well, im 23 and I still live with my parents, no im not some bum or anyhting, I have a graphic design job at UPS, making $40 an hour work 40 hours a week, I could move out when ever I want, but my home is really close to job, its free rent, food and what not and while I have to obey some rules, its not to bad, granted once I go to get masters I dont think I will be coming back, but thats a year or two from now, I say suck it up for a bit, save the money and then move out, people think living with parents is bad, but I dont really see it like that, unless there super controling, I mean my family has a huge house a pool and my room is bigger than what ever apartment I would get..soooo ya, im just siting back and saving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I would rather be poor but independent than have some money and be living with my parents again.
    u said it man

you seem like a spoiled narcicistic dickhead

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-06-06 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    you seem like a spoiled narcicistic dickhead
    Shocking, you'd never expect someone given significant amounts of money that they didn't work for to seem that way...

10+ Year Old Account
    Your brother needs you to help pay rent and the cable bill? And he's dating a woman with 3 children and he's letting them move in? It sounds he's the one that needs to move back in with your parents to get life straightened out...