10+ Year Old Account

Determining possible rapture procs

As a pve disc priest I've been trying to track how well I'm doing with rapture procs by determining how many procs are available during a fight, in a perfect rapture world.

In order to do this, I took the time of the encounter in minutes/seconds (3.12 = 3 minutes 12 seconds), multiplied it by 60 seconds(amount of seconds in a minute) and divided by 12 seconds.(rapture icd)

Then I compare how many rapture procs I got, to the amount of rapture procs available in that time period. Ofcourse rapture wasn't designed to play into perfectly, so expecting every one for every fight is probably a bad idea. and besides that, looking at fights like spine of deathwing where in the earlier phases, it is almost impossible for a disc priest who is gearing for about 20 mastery to even get a PW:S to be absorbed between the roll and the first amalgamation explosion. Especially with the current implemented nerfs.

But even with all those little things in mind, I think its still nice to look at for many of the encounters in dragonsoul. Do you agree?

Well, I always make sure to put a shield when I see my rapture is gonna be active in the next 1-2 seconds, in DS hc its nearly always "timeable" to keep the max raptures up.. I find it easy to time, not even calculating the Timeslips in (cuz be honest, thats only 1 time in 50 shields or so in my experience).

Ingelasrapture addon helps alot by that ofc..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah its usually really easy to keep rapture up. Ingela's rapture is a nice addon.

If you are needing to hit every Rapture then you need to find ways to do it (obviously). On our Spine progress our Bear tank would click off his absorb buff and stop attacking every time I PW:S him on the first plate so I could get a Rapture proc. There is almost always a way to do it if your mana is hurting your guild's progression.

These days though, I barely look at my Rapture timer. I used to run with 1789 Spirit (without Spine trinket equipped either) and still only started caring about Rapture when I was down to maybe 40% mana. Now I'm lazy and run a heroic Spine trinket + 3500 spirit build so I never have to look or care about mana whatsoever.

I think that a lot of Disc priests read about Rapture timing and they get excited because they want to be all pro and whatever. In reality, monitoring Rapture isn't that hard or that important, especially at this stage. I think that the only time you need to worry about Rapture is during progression fights where you have bad gear and are really struggling for mana, but in my experience (at least with DS) my mana was never the cause of our guild's trouble with an encounter (except Spine, but we solved that as described above). Besides- what is the point is monitoring "how well I'm doing with rapture procs" by looking at statistics? You can tell how good you are doing by looking at your mana bar.

Just a note at the end here, I think you should be fine with DS even with pretty low spirit (most people run with 2K + Spine trinket, but like I said above you don't even need that) by only shielding for guarenteed Rapture. Stomp, Void Bolt, Focused Assault, Hour of Twilight, Onslaughts, Fiery Grip, Impale. Zon'ozz is the only encounter where you might have some mana issues and will have to Rapture off of normal boss melees. In those situations you are most likely to shield anyway even without a Rapture, so stop worrying so much.

Deleted
    Last time I checked I was hitting about 20s per rapture typically. That was without really paying too much attention to it though. As Mayna says, you can usually get them if you need them. Even Zon'ozz isn't that much of a problem, the boss hits like a train so getting procs of melee isn't a huge deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Vraie, always grateful for your feedback.

Mayna, my guild has a goal that even though content is heavily nerfed, and that the end of the expansion is here, and even though mana is ridiculously easy to keep up, that we continue to push ourselves and continue to improve and play as if content wasn't nerfed, play as if every encounter is a progression fight. So every week I have to make sure I'm getting off rapture procs as much as I can and ending a fight without an abundance of wasted excess mana. I try to run every encounter I can without the spine trinket while running about 1600 spirit and part of being a good disc priest means making sure you're getting mana back from rapture. (imo)

So while it might not matter for most guilds who have stopped caring because its the end of the expansion, our raiders are being watched and analyzed every week to make sure that not one of us is going to slow down our guild in mists, and thats why I continue to work on getting every rapture proc that I can.
    ---

lol yay overly long explanations, I hope I didn't come off as angry or anything like that =P

Quote Originally Posted by Zolvolt View Post

In order to do this, I took the time of the encounter in minutes/seconds (3.12 = 3 minutes 12 seconds), multiplied it by 60 seconds(amount of seconds in a minute) and divided by 12 seconds.(rapture icd)
    Just want to point out a simple error:
    3 mins 12 seconds isn't 3.12 min. It is 3.2 min.

As someone who is OCD about Rapture timing during progression and HM, currently in even LFR gear.... intellect levels (and spirit availability) makes rapture timing less and less of an issue. That said, it is important to understand the concept and when to use it and need it. I personally think it is sloppy play to just haphazardly get rapture procs... even though I am guilty of doing it currently.

It really is a hallmark of the difference between a good and great disc priest. I think its important to learn to be good at it, and evaluate when you can pare back its importance based on the gear and level of difficulty your raid is running at.

I must say I LOVE what Zolvolt's guild is doing here:

Quote Originally Posted by Zolvolt View Post
    So while it might not matter for most guilds who have stopped caring because its the end of the expansion, our raiders are being watched and analyzed every week to make sure that not one of us is going to slow down our guild in mists, and thats why I continue to work on getting every rapture proc that I can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by calboy67 View Post
    Just want to point out a simple error:
    3 mins 12 seconds isn't 3.12 min. It is 3.2 min.
    thank you, you're correct.

It might just be easier to turn the base minutes into seconds and add on the extra seconds, then do the division, no?
    so (((3 x 60) + 12) / 12) (in my beginning example)
    Last edited by Zolvolt; 2012-06-09 at 09:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're trying to be better about getting rapture every 12 seconds:
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/ingelasrapture

Otherwise, idk what this thread was for. Of course it's good to maximize rapture and to anticipate when shields will be getting totally absorbed.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    If you're trying to be better about getting rapture every 12 seconds:
    http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/ingelasrapture

Otherwise, idk what this thread was for. Of course it's good to maximize rapture and to anticipate when shields will be getting totally absorbed.
    The reason was to make sure I had my math correct. The point isn't how to better manage you rapture but how to check if the amount of raptures you got in an encounter was as many as you should've or could have gotten.