Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I can't think of a worse investment short of purchasing barren land with a military easement on it.
    Oddly enough it's worked for a lot of people.

Deleted
    Let me just state my ignorance here.

If you think it's a problem though, then maybe there's something emotional in it too more than just dollars and pennies? Like being scared of running out of money more than what is reasonable? Maybe something linked to your capital? A fear of poverty that does not correlate with the constrains of poverty?

If it's not a problem, then well, some people like to earn a lot of money and some little money and some like to live from hand to mouth and some from hand to bank and have less for the mouth ;o. Then though they got a lot in the bank, if the earning is the same, and have that then to do something with. Inheritance for kids or partner, give, live a rich old life. Also, benefit of cumulative beneficial effects of investing or "loaning" to banks.

Just remember, that you really cannot take anything with you at the end. Neither your money.

You'll find as you may know all kinds of earning and saving and spending strategies for people in life.
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2012-06-06 at 07:13 PM.

I could say I'm almost the opposite. I don't care for money. I own a house and a car, I'm married, have a kid, but I hate spending money. I don't hoard it I just try to work enough to cover my debts and keep a couple hundred $$ in bank for recreation stuff. I have just enough in saving to cover any emergency. Other than that I have no motivation to make more. I usually volunteer to leave work if we are slow, I take unpaid vacations. But I'm happy. I'm content living cheap. Hell if I ever hit the lotto I'd buy a few toys and make sure my bills were all paid so I could live on near nothing and give the rest away.

i dont know why you are concerned. Saving money isnt bad...investing that money is even better. Im wondering where you got that sweet deal on land tho lol. I make more than that and i only managed to get 4 acres haha. I also love money, but it seems i love buying guns far more lol. With 20 acres i think you should also buy some guns and set up a nice range. Shooting will relieve the stress of worrying about how much money you have

I make a little money too (engineer) and I do spend some of it. I have a nice apt. and a "nice" car which is completely paid (30k car). I do make sure I have enough to save. Every month I add a couple thousand to my savings account. As long as I can save some every month I'll spend. Trips, food, drinks, girls basically anything as long as I'm saving. I would not go into debt though to live like I do or live from check to check. In my opinion you worked and still work hard for your money so might as well enjoy it because, at the risk of sounding like a hipster, you only live once. Right now I'm 28 and I'll only be 28 this year.
    "Druid must be boss, Hunter is just Drain-monkey.

Hunter scatter this rogue.
    Hunter drain that priest.
    Hunter where is frost trap. Bad Hunter! No banana!
    Hunter where is flare? No flare, you get replaced by retarded warrior!"

-Huainy

Deleted
    we all love money, most of us hate making them becouse it includes work and a lot of effort, but whats the point of making money if u dont spend them? like Tenver said, you cannot take anything with you at the end, or some things are more interesting when ur young and silly.

I also love my money! People around me call me greedy or stingy, but i just think it is smart. I know when i can earn some easy money etc. As a student i surely can use it, although i don't spend a lot. Once i have enough though i will just buy a nice house + simple car and live with joy. The only reason i am greedy about my money now is because i know i will need it later on (House, Car, Bills). And many wanna see something from the world later on.

And i like the feeling i have some money on the bank. It is a safe feeling. People around me don't even know how much money they have on their pin card. And often when they say they can't do anything fun (€10,- things like pooling). I feel sorry and sad for them. But also laugh from the inside about how nice i am living. I like being more wealthy than the students around me. Even tough most don't know it and i won't tell them. Every time when it comes up how greedy i am i laugh on the inside. Knowing they would value €2,500 ALOT. hahaha. No, yes i am greedy. But don't brag about it at other!

I will also add that that will all change when you get married because it wont be your money anymore lol. I really dont know how it happened, i said it wouldnt..."god dammit its my money, i made it, wtf?!" doesnt matter, you cant buy the things you want to anymore and thats just how it goes lol...i think im finally coming around to that. Me and my fiance are getting married in September, and i am now banned from spending money on things i want because "we need to spend it on wedding/honeymoon stuff". So im not going to be buying any guns for a while lol.

So my advice to you is buy the things you want now before that happens. I had to bug her for two weeks to buy a $300 rifle scope. Yea, $300 bucks is nothing to spend. The one i really want is over $1000...oh but she made me feel bad about it alright lol. So just spend it...if your bills are paid and you are reasonably financially sound, go buy yourself something nice. Hell get a 4 wheeler, you have 20 acres of land!

just my 2 more cents lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzen View Post
    Hahahaha. Wow. I hope for you that you are really young, because you have zero understanding of life so if you are over 18 you are completely fucked.
    If you say so. I am actually 28 and haven't had to work an hourly position since I started my own business at 23. So yea, I think I have things figured out pretty well for myself. Also, I still say money indeed buys happiness. It makes the world go 'round. I will always believe that old phrase "money can't buy happiness" was just a made up excuse for people that can't figure out that there is just no profit in working under someone else's thumb. Not saying you can't be happy without money, but you will be a lot happier with a pile of it that you didn't have yesterday. More money = more happy.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    —Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Are you crazy?!?!?! People like him are RUINING THE ECONOMY by not consuming everything he earns. Every dollar you save means someone gets one dollar less in income. Preferably you should take a loan so that you can SPEND MORE!

-Paul Krugman, Nobel Laurate (Economics), Smarter than what we tiny mortals can even begin to understand
    Isn't capitalism wonderful? Consume, consume, consume until there's nothing left to consume.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
    Healthiest addiction ever.
    Pretty much this. Nothing wrong with this "problem" so long as you have everything you need, if you reach the point where you are depriving yourself of food / basic living needs then you might want to get some help.

If you are living in what you consider to be comfortable conditions then continue on good sir.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.