Thread: Time trails

Deleted

Time trails

Is it just me or would more people like to see challenge mode dungeons have timed runs? That kind of game play was very popular in wow like strat 45 and that new strat also had timed run. I would like to see that in gw2 only with ladders. It would even make more sence in gw2 because theres no gear progression so it would be more fair than in wow where you had people that were outgearing the place by far so it was not challenging and equal for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW1 already does this , so it wouldn't surprise me to see it in GW2.

It would definitely be something cool, but I don't see them putting it in on release. Potentially in a later content patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    GW1 already does this , so it wouldn't surprise me to see it in GW2.
    I was thinking about making a thread on this, but it's kind of in line with this thread.

I've been playing a ton of GW1 latetly, and it got me thinking, and now I know people hate grinding and GW2 is aiming to get rid of that and what not, but...I really hope they have a bunch of the stuff that GW1 has and puts it in GW2.

I don't know how a lot of it would work though, some of it seems like it would be impossible to reproduce. I know GW2 already has something sorta like Cartographer.

GW1 has timed missions where you get credit for Masters, so I could see something like that happening in GW2 with the dungeons too.

What about stuff like vanquishing though?

I'd like to see some of the title stuff like maxing reputations, completing dungeons that are hard (hardmode), getting so much exp without dying, and even some of the sillier titles like Sweet Tooth.

I just want stuff to work towards I guess. I think a lot of them could be reproduced for GW2, some may have to be altered, and hopefully we would see new stuff too.

Won't there be a HoM in GW2 in the home instance? I wonder if it will just be the stuff from GW1, or if there will also be statues for achievements you've completed in GW2.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-06-07 at 12:14 PM.

Deleted
    ok then at least theres hope for people that would like to do 5 man dungeons as esport ... at least to me it would give an incentive to do dugeons more then once or twice. otherwise I would get bored it there was nothing to chase ... no need to make it a reward system beeing top on the ladder is reward (but I wouldnt mind to get some more goldz from it )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Won't there be a HoM in GW2 in the home instance? I wonder if it will just be the stuff from GW1, or if there will also be statues for achievements you've completed in GW2.
    It's instanced, but not in your home instance.

Oh, I thought I read long ago that it was part of the home instance, but I guess it makes sense to keep it in the same place lol

What do you think though? Will they be expanding the amount of statues for GW2 achievements, or will it just be GW1 statues?

I dont like the idea of time runs at all. I enjoy taking my time and enjoying the content, not bulldozing through it and having to run tweak builds that I wouldnt usally ever use. I didnt like GW1 for that reason. If you didnt reach an area in a certain timeframe you didnt get to experience a set of content.

Now Speed runs as a side experience like jumping puzzles im fine with. I wouldnt want to see jumping puzzles in a dungeon nore would I want speed runs. But outside of a dungeon I would love both of those things infact I LOVE PUZZLES...

Now speed run Titles im not opposed to eather. Kind of like in WoW if you downed X boss in X amount of time youd get an achievment, thats acceptable. But being penalized by missing out on content because you were 2 secs to long is ubsurd to me and would detract from ANET and Guildwars 2 philosphy of wanting players to explore and enjoy what they designed.

Same reason youll never see mounts.

The reason speed runs were in Guildwars 1 is because the game couldnt really support many features for dungeons. and since it was a heavly instanced game running builds such as my Elementalist running build that could run Elona Reach and Droks Forge were highly popular, but since running builds serve no purpose in Guildwars 2 adding in dungeon speed runs out of no wheres would be confusing and frustrating to None Guildwars 1 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    If you didnt reach an area in a certain timeframe you didnt get to experience a set of content.
    What's an example? I never experienced this.

What's an example? I never experienced this.
    He is talking about challenge missions where if you didnt for example kill the Guild Lord in time you wouldnt get to see the second or third level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyoyo View Post
    Is it just me or would more people like to see challenge mode dungeons have timed runs? That kind of game play was very popular in wow like strat 45 and that new strat also had timed run. I would like to see that in gw2 only with ladders. It would even make more sence in gw2 because theres no gear progression so it would be more fair than in wow where you had people that were outgearing the place by far so it was not challenging and equal for everyone.
    Suggest it on the beta forums. If enough people agree with you, your suggestion will be noted, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    He is talking about challenge missions where if you didnt for example kill the Guild Lord in time you wouldnt get to see the second or third level.
    None of the challenge missions are like though. They're more like a game where your goal is to go for points, and the reward is nothing more than gold/exp/faction with a possible armor skin for your heroes in some of them. They don't lock you out of any content, it's just something extra to do.

There's the normal cooperative missions that are part of the lore and main story, but I never did one that prevented you from seeing any content if you didn't do it fast enough. The only thing that happened for doing it within a certain amount of time was you got standard, expert, or masters credit, which was just a little bit of extra gold, exp, a skill point, and if you got masters you got credit towards a title.

Adding vanquishing to GW2 would be sorta impossible by zone. But I think heart zone clears are about the equivalent.

I also loved vanquishing in GW1. Always feel obliterated to clear a zone fully in Diablo and the like. GW1 hit that ARPG/monster hunter pleasure center. Enjoyment was had.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Adding vanquishing to GW2 would be sorta impossible by zone. But I think heart zone clears are about the equivalent.

I also loved vanquishing in GW1. Always feel obliterated to clear a zone fully in Diablo and the like. GW1 hit that ARPG/monster hunter pleasure center. Enjoyment was had.
    Yea, I guess the GW2 equiv would be completionist, where you have to do all the hearts, the skill points, and find all the waypoints.

Usually did your Cartography and Vanquish at the same time anyway in GW1. So, this is fine in GW2 when it comes to zone clears.

I wish there was some way to see how many DEs you beat in a zone. Not a x/y thingy, I just wanna know how many unique DEs per zone I closed.

Also does it seem like the world tracker thing is off? I cleared LA, DR, KH, QD, WFH, Hoelbrak and the half of Snowden. Yet the world tracker shows like 17% complete. That leave out BC, OA and the that plateau place. Those starter zones can't be 17% of the whole world. They were too short. Fix before it drives me bonkers, thx. (-_-)

None of the challenge missions are like though. They're more like a game where your goal is to go for points, and the reward is nothing more than gold/exp/faction with a possible armor skin for your heroes in some of them. They don't lock you out of any content, it's just something extra to do.
    He is extremely nitpicky. The Dajkah Inlet mission have 3 maps for example. He means that if you cant complete a map you wont get to see the others.

He is extremely nitpicky. The Dajkah Inlet mission have 3 maps for example. He means that if you cant complete a map you wont get to see the others.
    I think the only time I did that mission and didnt see the the third map was the first time I was in there. Didnt have a clue what I was doing and flubed the mission badly. After that even my normal all perpous vanquish hero team would at least get to the third map even on a bad run. I also wouldn't call that missing out on content, there's no story and the 3 maps are rather generic and if I recall mostly copied in other areas of the game anyway.

Who is John Galt?

I don't know about time trials in the game at launch... I agree with the previous poster who said it might be an expansion type thing or just something left out. I'd love to see a "personal best" type timer thing but I don't know about an achievement or additional loot... I think that only leads to the feeling of a mandatory min/max trait line and a "best" grouping that people will not stray from once it becomes public knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I think the only time I did that mission and didnt see the the third map was the first time I was in there. Didnt have a clue what I was doing and flubed the mission badly. After that even my normal all perpous vanquish hero team would at least get to the third map even on a bad run. I also wouldn't call that missing out on content, there's no story and the 3 maps are rather generic and if I recall mostly copied in other areas of the game anyway.
    I wouldnt either. But from what he wrote he still thinks so. I just tried to explain what he meant with that statement and thats the only possible explanation I can come up with where you possibly could get excluded content. And trust me... Some people arent able to complete all maps.

I wouldnt either. But from what he wrote he still thinks so. I just tried to explain what he meant with that statement and thats the only possible explanation I can come up with where you possibly could get excluded content. And trust me... Some people arent able to complete all maps.
    While he's talking about GW1 in the topic what he's discribing sounds more like a few places in wow to me. going too slow in culling of strat technicly you miss out on content in you cant fight the mount boss. Still those challange missions are by design setup to be pure how fast can you go for a high score missions. Its an areana where the only content is the fish in the barrle your trying to shoot.

He could also be referring to timed missions I guess. Several story missions in factions had timers where you failed if you didnt keep moveing at a reasonable clip. Tahnnakai Temple for example you cant advance if you go too slow although the timer is quite generous IMO. Still quite a few games including many MMO's will have some content where your forced to husstle. Its a device to build a sense of urgency.

Who is John Galt?