Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taenathal View Post
    In England people have actually been banned in some stores from turning up in their pyjamas.
    Dont see why they should be banned, as long as they are not indecent. Funny that shorts and T-shirts show off more skin yet they are not being banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I ran into Walmart around 8am a few days ago and there were more women in PJs than clothes. It's pretty sad.
    Is this in America? I mean the land of the free? Place where I can do what I want long as it isn't obscene. Judge wal-mart at 8am, that is definitely it, gotta impress those folks at Wal-mart cause thats where I find a good place to judge my status and self worth.

People who think clothing makes a person probably think college means a job and hard work means success.

Fancey cloths look like crap, people don't care what judgmental people think.

10+ Year Old Account
    A society where you're forced to conform and continue wearing "dress" clothes, rather than what you actually like. Yeah doesn't that sound like fun.

Though I do agree, keep the Pjs and slippers at home.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

I think chivalry died when people no longer needed to call their knights on horse back to defend their kingdom.

And self respect never died.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I think it would be more interesting to answer why do YOU care what OTHER PEOPLE are wearing while they work on THEIR car.

I personally believe people should choose comfort and functionality above all else when selecting clothing. Save the suits for the weddings.

Now I still think working on a car in PJs would be stupid, considering they have an armor value of 0, as opposed to denim which has an armor value of 10, with +5 to fire resistance; but if somebody is going to dress stupidly let them. Don't worry about it. Back when I used to be a lead hand one thing I noticed is that the people who were doing it wrong were far more likely to be bitching about how other people were doing it.
    lol denim armor value +10

I don't really care. I just thought it was pimp that he was dressed up working on his car.

I find it amusing. My friend recently interviewed for a job and was wearing jeans and a Guayabera and he thought he was overdressed.

Also I wear a shirt and tie everyday, it's comfortable

10+ Year Old Account
    Because our culture is becoming more individualistic, more pluralist, and less conformist. "Fancy" clothes are really just a uniform that shows you conform to that which is "proper". Since the 1960s Western culture has rebelled against that idea. Your attire is an avenue of self-expression instead of merely being a way to fit in.

Yes, people still have that desire which is why you get cliques of people who all dress the same. But there are hundreds of subcultures for you to pick and choose from.

Apart from the human excrement wandering the aisles of Walmart in ripped pajamas, even the jeans and T-shirt look is a far cry from "I completely ignore what I'm wearing". There are nice T-shirts and nice jeans. Chances are you're not going to wear a three wolf moon shirt and some stone washed jeans, unless you're going for "ironic hipster".
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

I pretty much just wear whatever pants and T-shirts I have. The 'loudest', so to speak, article of clothing I ever wear is this shirt, so I really don't go to far on either end. I agree it is a bit weird to see people wearing pajamas and stuff around public places...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I think chivalry died when people no longer needed to call their knights on horse back to defend their kingdom.

And self respect never died.
    I don't think you get either concept. No offense.

It's actually not about what other people think of you or what society requires of you and the fact so many people think that's what it is just goes to further show the shift in values.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2012-06-07 at 04:39 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

It's got to be a North American thing. I always try to dress well but I just went to Europe for a month and people are so much better dressed there. Even people who aren't really up to anything that day actually care what they look like. Part of the reason I hated coming home was that I went around town the first day back and saw 3 individuals in a 10 minute span with skullets, wife beaters and haggard track pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Donax View Post
    I don't mean in playing, I mean in our attire. It seems like we just don't feel the need to actually make an effort in dress like our parents and grand parents did. I was looking at old photos of my grandfather and there was one where he was wearing slacks and a button up shirt while working on his car. Now people seem to think it's ok with going out in pj's and bedroom slippers.

Do we have that little care for how we dress now or is the need to be completely comfortable outweigh it?
    What would you rather have, work efficiency and competence or fashion sense? If you're never going to be in touch with a client, why would your wardrobe even matter? As long as you are clean and presentable, whether or not one has a tie and/or a suit will mean absolutely nothing.

Many things happened in the old days. Doesn't make it the right thing. Evolution happens. I know my company values their workers being comfortable more than having them dress all formal.

I don't really care. I just thought it was pimp that he was dressed up working on his car.

I find it amusing. My friend recently interviewed for a job and was wearing jeans and a Guayabera and he thought he was overdressed.

Your grandpa managed prostitutes? NICE!
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    I don't see the need to dress myself up for anyone when I have a casual mindset of doing jack shit.

However, if you can give me a good reason to dress myself up then I shall change my mentality IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    I'm actually considering making this part of my sig and that's saying a lot since I've always thought making quotes part of your sig was the dumbest thing.

+100 internetz to you.
    Chilvarly needed to die, who wants to be chilverious tords women who think they can watch jersey shore and feel entitled to have the world handed to them on a platter?

TLDR It being dead is a good thing, as a women I hate other people of my gender that feel entitled to being treated a certain way, and the men who feed them that attitude
    Last edited by doranians; 2012-06-07 at 04:42 PM.

Cultures evolve. Cultures change. We dress differently now for the same reasons that our grandparents dressed differently than their grandparents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    In olden times why was everybody so fancy, did they think so highly of themselves they couldn't wear comfortable clothes. Why didn't they just dress like their Kids and grandkids. What is wrong with old people why they so fancy?
    This is a terrible argument. People tend to do what their parents or people "above" them do, and for hundreds of years over in England at least that occured. In all fairness it existed before your country did. If people thought like what you posted then noone would learn anything from their parents because they were old and think highly of themselves. And then noone would learn anything from teachers because they are somebodies parent.

There are 2 definitions to the process of "learning" as far as most people are concerned (not dictionary):

1) The lies we choose to tell our children.
    2) Assimilating different behaviours based on past experiences of either ourselves or someone else.

That second definition really slams the point down because in your early years when you are most susceptible to things before you begin making your own choices, you see what your parents and grandparents do and emulate that when you older.

Deleted

Anyone that does not wear a shirt and tie for a job interview does not deserve it. First impressions count.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2012-06-07 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wear a tuxedo T-shirt for everything I do, it says I'm formal, but i'm here to party.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

I honestly don't care what people are wearing, it's none of my business as long as there isn't a distinct lack of clothing in a public place at working/shopping hours.

Also I find it very disheartening to see how many of you harshly judge others and draw conclusions about society simply for what they are wearing.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe because the purchasing power for the average working wage has remained stagnant since our grandparents despite the increasing prices for clothing and barely anybody who works for a living can afford to dress smartly, and trying to bargain hunt for deals is tedious and an obnoxious and vain way to waste your time.

Or any number of other reasons...