Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Help... Getting wisdom teeth pulled

Hi all, I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled in less than 12 hours and I am nervous as hell. Never had a tooth pulled before. The only major dental work I've had done, that I remember, is a root canal.

Any help on knowing what to expect?
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

I had 4 teeth pulled at once before. It wasn't my wisdom teeth, but the experience wasn't bad at all. It didn't hurt, it was quick and easy. Wisdom teeth are a bit different because they are in the back and leave a bigger hole when pulled out so it takes longer for it to close up.

You'll be sore for a while and have to put cotton balls in your mouth, but you'll survive.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Hi all, I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled in less than 12 hours and I am nervous as hell. Never had a tooth pulled before. The only major dental work I've had done, that I remember, is a root canal.

Any help on knowing what to expect?
    Most likely they'll use a gas that makes it so you no longer have short term memory, effectively making it seem like you have a mask on one moment and the next you're being woken up after the surgery. You will probably extremely exhausted for the rest of the day, and for a while your teeth will be sore, but apart from that there are extremely few complications and everything should be fine. Just talk to your dentist about foods and such

I had my wisdom teeth pulled a few years ago, I was 34 at the time, which is sort of old to have it done. What to expect? Well if you are sedated, you will fall asleep and wake up one second later and it will be done. If you aren't sedated, you will feel nothing but you'll hear crunching and cracking and feel pressure. Afterward, you'll feel worn out but you won't feel pain, yet. Once the anesthesia wears off, you'll need painkillers, because your jaw will be BANGIN. You will need to keep icing it and you will be uncomfortable, it's pretty sore. The next day, I had serious soreness, and I felt like my gums were tearing at the back, and I couldn't eat anything. Expect a lot of oozing blood from the sockets. I never threw up, and within five days I was feeling quite a bit better, well enough to eat solid food.

Getting your wisdom teeth out is a right of passage. What I described may sound bad, but with painkillers, ice, and someone around to help you, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Aodhan; 2012-06-09 at 05:42 AM.

Deleted
    a glas of wiskey, painkillers and you will be fine (not a good combo tho, be warned.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Just look it up on youtube, that'll pretty much cover the after effects.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

Had mine done about 6 years ago, they put the IV in and 2 seconds later I was waking up and they were done. Drink lots of milkshakes (no straws though, suction could pull out your stiches) cold drinks and painkillers help alot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Most likely they'll use a gas that makes it so you no longer have short term memory, effectively making it seem like you have a mask on one moment and the next you're being woken up after the surgery. You will probably extremely exhausted for the rest of the day, and for a while your teeth will be sore, but apart from that there are extremely few complications and everything should be fine. Just talk to your dentist about foods and such
    Most likely no Nitrous Oxide, mah wallet ain't deep enough.

So, yeah. Fully awake and dealing with it, heh.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    pulled or cut out? I had mine cut out because they weren't growing in yet, they also opted to put me out while doing so. Personally it didn't really hurt until about a week and a half or 2 later when your teeth start shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Most likely they will put you to sleep. I haven't heard of anyone being awake for it these days.

I know that decades ago some people would take nothing while others would take gas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally speaking, pain doesn't bother me, for the most part. I grit my teeth and bear it, so to speak.

BUT, tooth/jaw pain kicks my ass. It lays me out til the pain meds kick in. I usually do everything I can to sleep through as much of it as possible.

I was awake for mine too, piece of cake. I was startled a couple of times by loud cracking and snapping sounds, so just be prepared for that. You won't believe how loud it can sound in your head. But it's nothing. I wish I had been prepared, I thought he broke my jaw. I hope you are having it done by an oral surgeon.

Yeah I had pretty serious jaw pain. Ice and painkillers, you'll be fine.

I've had my wisdom teeth pulled. Dentist REALLY LOVE getting everyone do that. I recommend you against it if those teeth are in a decent shape. Better to leave everything natural and not let anyone mess with your body unless there's a reason.
    Last edited by stepijunk; 2012-06-09 at 05:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    pulled or cut out? I had mine cut out because they weren't growing in yet, they also opted to put me out while doing so. Personally it didn't really hurt until about a week and a half or 2 later when your teeth start shifting.
    Pulled. 3 of 4 have come out. My bottom 2 are the only ones getting yanked, as they have decayed past usability. One is broken in half to the gum line. The other has a very large crater.

Don't get me wrong, I brush, but something happened once I hit 25. My teeth just started decaying really fast, despite relatively decent oral hygiene.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be fine. Due to a wonderful genetic defect, I lost the enamel on my teeth in my twenties, despite brushing and flossing and mouthwash and all that, so let's just say I'm pretty familiar with extractions. I've never taken nitrous oxide, just local anesthetics, the most painful part of which is the actual injection. Eventually that part of your mouth is completely numb and you won't feel a thing other than maybe some movement in your jaw if something is troublesome. I've had extractions take two hours, and I've had them take 5 minutes, but generally they seem to take about 20 minutes once the anesthetic has kicked in.

The big thing is to just follow their care directions afterward. You'll probably be proscribed a heavy-duty painkiller (my dentist prescribes vicodin, but I've seen others give Tylenol III with codeine) - make sure to get that prescription filled and your first dose taken before the anesthetic wears off entirely. YMMV, but I usually only need one dose of vicodin, then about 12 hours of ibuprofin once that wears off, then I'm good. It really depends on your pain tolerance.

Usually they have you do it for a reason. In my case, there wasnt room in my mouth for my wisdom teeth. They had pushed against my back molars and cracked them, requiring root canals and crowns on the lower half. Cautionary tale.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had mine pulled in 2001. I'm sure in the last 11 years, things are much better. But for me, it was like this:

-Sat in chair.
    -Got a needle.
    -Woke up in what felt like six seconds later (actually 45 minutes) all woozy and mouth still half frozen.
    -Got instructions on taking pills, and what not to eat while stitches healed.
    -Got driven home by my brother.
    -Chilled at home all day.
    -Drove to DQ for ice cream around dinner time (doctor said eat icecream).

Never had problems. No pain, maybe a little soreness here and there, and sometimes a little itchiness. Took the pills as directed though. I just had to be careful of what to eat for a week or two. Dropping about four or five hundred to get them all pulled hurt the most though.

Just tell 'em to gas you. Had four teeth taken out that way, never knew what happened.

My mother swears by Valium before dentist/flying/anything scary. But you need a prescription for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Pulled. 3 of 4 have come out. My bottom 2 are the only ones getting yanked, as they have decayed past usability. One is broken in half to the gum line. The other has a very large crater.

Don't get me wrong, I brush, but something happened once I hit 25. My teeth just started decaying really fast, despite relatively decent oral hygiene.
    Do you drink a lot of soda? Not only can it wear enamel off on its own, but it makes for an awesome food source for bacteria that then turn to your teeth while waiting for their next sugar infusion.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled two years ago, all four. I did it without being put under, cause that really creeps me out. So I just got novacane and was awake for the whole thing. I does not hurt one bit, it just feels weird. No need to be nervous. What actually does suck about it, and hurt, is 12 hours later. Make sure they prescribe you some sort pain killers. For some reason I was never given this option, and oh man that shit hurts the next day. I was popping Aleves like they were candy. Don't worry about the whole process, doesnt hurt at all, and you'll feel like a million bucks once its done and over with.